Emax

B

babamnky

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a patient just seeking some information, so don't go too hard on me. :)
I recently had some crowns placed on my front teeth (canine to canine) and have broken a few of them (mostly at the biting edges) due to grinding and clenching during the day. I believe they are made of all porcelain or maybe Inceram, although I'm not exactly sure. My dentist recommended we do a full emax crown since it is stronger, which sounds like a good idea to me. He even referred me to their website so I could read about the product, and it seems amazing to me. What are your thoughts? Do you think emax is as strong as regular enamel? Thanks for your help everyone.

p.s. I forgot to mention that the grinding and clenching was not misdiagnosed by the dentist or anything. It was sort of a sudden onset thing due to stress and a couple of panic attacks, but hopefully under control now. Although, he does recommend that I have a daytime mouthguard for when I am feeling the urge to grind or anxious.

B

babamnky

Reaction score
Whoops, I forgot to put my name. Forgive the silly screen name.

-David

P

paulg100

Reaction score
its the grinding and clenching you need to get under controll.

No matter how strong the crown, simply placing a stronger and stronger restoration on a tooth when you have occlusual problems is not going to solve the issue.

It may stop the crown breaking but what about everything else around/underneath it? a full contour emax crown is around 4x stronger than the enamel of your natural tooth, so what happens to the natural teeth that are grinding against it?

The aesthetics of full contour emax crowns for all your front teeth is going to be less than spectacular. You want some layered ceramic on them, even if it is only on the front.

If the occlusual issues or solved, then a correctly designed, layered emax crown is plently strong enough.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
T

timbangley

Reaction score
My employee just had a tooth extracted on the lower this tooth had a emax crown on it, and it was very thin due to clearence. He pulled and twisted with the pliers til it came out. The emax crown did not fracture (Dang I am so impressed with the product).

B

babamnky

Reaction score
Thanks Paul for the sound advice. Also thank you *** for the picture, that is actually my plan B.

B

babamnky

Reaction score
Ah, forgot to ask. So, staining and glazing them will not look good?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
NO not great. Naturall teeth are built up with layers like we do with ceramic.

With a stain and glaze technique it is a rather flat look with less vitality.

OK for back teeth but not for all your fronts. Depends if you want teeth that LOOK like real teeth. There is a new type of emax which is due later this year that will help with this but its not out yet.

Also re the occlusion, this is a complicated and specialized area to diagnose and treat. Im sure your dentist is great but there are ALOT of dentists that dont understand this properly (and technicians) so make sure your Dr knows his stuff.

Its difficult for you to assess this without looking like youve sought advise else where (although that shouldnt be a bad thing),but if he is training with the likes of Kois, Dawson or Spear then he is on the right track.

Get it treated propely before having alot of new work carried out so that it lasts, otherwise your just throwing your money away.

Weve been making porcelain jacket crowns for years which are 1/4 of the strength of emax. Providing the occlusion is sound they will last just as well!

Look at this emax layered crown and you will see what i mean:

http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f46/fun-single-central-s-5530/

You cant create that kind of stuff with a paint on stain and glaze.

This is all just my opinion of course, others here may disagree.

Last edited:
B

babamnky

Reaction score
Awesome, I appreciate your help. Kudos on that tooth, it looks like the real thing!

O

odchamp

Reaction score
Richard Kiel's chrome was made by our denture tech for pinewood studios ages ago, longer than i care to remember, seeing that makes me realise how fast time passes and to make the most of our life now.
Thanks *** for making me feel old!