Emax ingot chart

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Morning all.

We have just bought our first press furnace…..well who knew all ceramic would take off!!

EP3000, and looks very nice sitting on the bench next to my coffee.

Just a quick question about ingot choice that I have been unable to answer myself by looking through past posts and also, Ivoclare seem to have taken the page down from their website that may have explained it.

Is there a quick reference chart anywhere that will tell me what shades the MO and HO ingots cover?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Saluki

Saluki

Reaction score
Ivoclar has a chart in their E max press booklet. Based on their stump shades, for selection of ingots. It's a place to start.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Google: e.max shade selection wheel

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
The thing to remember about the chart is the recommendations are based on suggested indications for each material.

HT: Inlays, Onlays, and Veneers - thinner restorations that are under 1mm in thickness. If you get over 1mm thick or have a corner withouth tooth structure behind they have a tendency to go grey in the mouth due to their transluceny.

LT: Crowns, Partial crowns, Bridges - normally in the >1mm range and average of 1.5mm range.

Remember the thinner you get the less they will block and the more they will be influenced by the Prep Shade. So if the book suggests an A-3 but the restoration is thinner and the prep shade is darker than you may want to press or mill an A-1 or A-2.

MO and HO: Almost always a substructure material that you are going to fully layer, but if you have a thin veneer case that has a very dark Prep Shade, you may be able to press a MO ingot, just remember that it will not be the most translucent restoration, but at those thin dimensions it will have some tranlucency.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
The thing to remember about the chart is the recommendations are based on suggested indications for each material.

HT: Inlays, Onlays, and Veneers - thinner restorations that are under 1mm in thickness. If you get over 1mm thick or have a corner withouth tooth structure behind they have a tendency to go grey in the mouth due to their transluceny.

LT: Crowns, Partial crowns, Bridges - normally in the >1mm range and average of 1.5mm range.

Remember the thinner you get the less they will block and the more they will be influenced by the Prep Shade. So if the book suggests an A-3 but the restoration is thinner and the prep shade is darker than you may want to press or mill an A-1 or A-2.

MO and HO: Almost always a substructure material that you are going to fully layer, but if you have a thin veneer case that has a very dark Prep Shade, you may be able to press a MO ingot, just remember that it will not be the most translucent restoration, but at those thin dimensions it will have some tranlucency.

Patrick, Thank you for the information. I guess this is also about using the material on more and more cases and building up the knowledge through experience.

Many thanks.