Electrical discharge machining

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
EDM is very popular in the mold and die business to achieve intricate detail and fine surface finishes. We deal with everyday in our industrial business.

The advent of high-speed machining has reduced much of the need which was centered around burning "ribs" in a plastic injection mold (though there are many, other applications where EDM is still the preferred method).

EDM machining is a messy business (dielectric) and required the machining of an electrode made from either copper (popular in the EU) and/or graphite.
You think zirconia/zirconia dust is a pain? That ain't nothin' compared to graphite.

So, special mill/vac systems are required and associated CAM. Design and Machining of the actual electrodes, holders for the electrodes, etc. Programming electrode location positions is critical as is power settings for the EDM control.

All do-able. Question is is it worth the investment, if you have a milling solution to provide the accuracy and quality required - like ours of course :)

I have been working withe EDM since 1979 and have seen many advancements and applications come and go. I will tell you it is an undertaking (financial and technological) in machine evaluation (milling and EDM),maintenance (graphite and EDM dialectic fluid expulsion, disposal, etc.).

The best? Well that is a matter of opinion, budget, application, service, etc.

We have experience with many, the most popular of which are:
  • Charmilles
  • So****
  • Makino
  • Mitsubishi
Just my 2-1/2 cents...
Steve

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
It is not easier or better to make graphite/copper mua shaped cathodes, than to mill the same shape and arrangement in titanium. It is simply another method of manufacture.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
If you are trying to mill a metal frame to work like a Telescope onto a bar or similar
prosthesis, EDM is the way to go. The level of precision between direct fitting surfaces
is amazing if you can do that.
My MS research was on EDM and still think it is a really good technology. Attachments International
used to make copper analogs and I have Darwin Bagley to thank for his help.
LCM