Egs Scanner Issue. Any idea or tip to get over it?

SpyGr

SpyGr

Reaction score
hello guys I tried to scan a dental cast. I send the cut of a dental splinter to Roland DWX50 and the result was a failure. It was not Roland's fault but EGS scanner. All my interdental spaces were shallow and as you see the real model they are deep. Ι tried the most cycles that EGS gives (16 cycles) but as you can see the results as same. Anyone experienced this problem with this scanner? The scanner before use was calibrated.

Attachments

• IMAG2993.jpg
    IMAG2993.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG2994.jpg
    IMAG2994.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG2995.jpg
    IMAG2995.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG2996.jpg
    IMAG2996.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 63
  • scanner parameters I used.jpg
    scanner parameters I used.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 72
  • kopsimo 1.jpg
    kopsimo 1.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 69
  • kopsimo 2.jpg
    kopsimo 2.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 68
  • kopsimo 3.jpg
    kopsimo 3.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 66
  • ryumiseis 2.jpg
    ryumiseis 2.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 62
  • new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 67
cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Its a problem of white light scanners , exposure and scan strategie normally make a normal scan and the approximates manual with more light they are to dark and not seen by the strategies 90 degrees to the surface but i dont know if this can be done with the eggs. Or try to push the light a little bit if there is a manual function but not to much otherwise there is too much noise and bad surface you see it .Or if you cant do that use white scan spray at the approximate so they can be seen better.try and error. but their will be still some small wholes the software closes them for you automatic or by hand.

Last edited:
SpyGr

SpyGr

Reaction score
here also are the other two pics of the final result with 16 cycles

Attachments

• new 2.jpg
    new 2.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 69
  • new 3.jpg
    new 3.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 63
P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
The physical geometry of projector, object, and cameras combined with the scanners technology = many data voids.

The distance and angles of these things all relate to accuracy and data voids, etc...

The Steinbichler has the least voids as it only needs One camera.

When you go to Twin camera technology (both cameras need to see same thing to produce data, and both cast a shadow that the other cannot see into)....the closer together the cameras, the less voids. (Like the Medit) but I think a tiny amount of accuracy is lost.

So, how far apart are your cameras? I think this is your problem. Is this Open Technologies scanhead inside that box of yours?? If so, then the cameras are probably very far apart, relativily speaking.

The plus is that you probably have very accurate data with that set-up of geometry, but as you are now finding out....the downside is data voids.

Seven shots on a steinbichler pretty much does everything on a standard model.
The older smart optiks I had was at the opposite end with many voids along with the OpenTechnologies scan head being used on Nobil Metal Spa's scanner.
Too many voids! Annoying. I think it is the same or very similar geometry as your abc scanner.

??

Last edited:
SpyGr

SpyGr

Reaction score
Can I fix this problem with any spray?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Can I fix this problem with any spray?

no.

Because the cameras are so far apart, they both cannot see into such a crack at same time, so = data voids. It is a good scanner, but not for Dental IMO because of this.

There is no way to fix this. You will have many many data voids, but the data that you do get will be good. LOL

I returned the scanner that I had because I just could not deal with it myself. ??

It is good technology and good/accurate scan data, but too many data voids.

This scanner I had was going to be for me scanning implant markers only, but even I hated doing that with it.
Same scan-head as yours. Same distance cameras, etc...

SpyGr

SpyGr

Reaction score
If I wet the dental cast with a wet piece of cloth will it help or it has to do with the cameras?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Who sold you the scanner if you have no white scan spray try occlusion spray green first only some parts not the hole model only minimum scans and make another foto do you have settings about data quality

Last edited:
SpyGr

SpyGr

Reaction score
In order to make it something clear to my mind..............only the white light scanners have this issue with the interdental spaces? All the blue light scanners or red laser scanners (3SHAPE) work better or all the scanners have the ''interdental spaces'' isssue?

D

DentalGuy123

Reaction score
In order to make it something clear to my mind..............only the white light scanners have this issue with the interdental spaces? All the blue light scanners or red laser scanners (3SHAPE) work better or all the scanners have the ''interdental spaces'' isssue?

Pretty much every scanner has that issue......but different company has different strategy to ease that problem.......My recommendation is manually rescan the model using EGS system, or manually fill the hole with other software.......let me know if you need any help on it....

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
No, the Medit and Steinbichler White-Light has excellent results for Dental!

The scanner you have has location of cameras too far apart. Just as I said.

Where did I even say it had to do with White-light vs/ Laser??

SpyGr

SpyGr

Reaction score
No I didnt say that you told it. I just asked it in order to make it clear to my mind. Thank you very much for your guidance

Top Bottom