E-Max fracture

annsman

annsman

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been doing e-max press sence it intro in the US and its been a trouble free product. Untill recently.

I am experienceing cracks in areas that transition from thick to thin. I have rearely seen this and Im stumped as to the cause.

Any ideas?

K

Kaypan

Reaction score
Its probably a cooling issue. Thick parts expands/shrinks more than the thin parts, causing a tug of war in the material,resulting in a crack. The HT ingots are more likely to have this issue, compared to the other ingots. Seen it once with a LT ingot.
I always slow cool to 500 celsius, and be sure to fill up the inside of the crown completely with a peg material to create a more uniform heating/cooling in the restoration.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Are these layered or monolithic restorations?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Disturbed may be able to help as he is a big emax fan.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I have seen this with areas transitioning from thick to thin as well. The ceramic does not like this and will most likely crack. Believe it or not, e.max cad is a solution for this situation. It is not as prone to cracking as the press in this particular situation from my experience. This instance and small implants where the investment tends to break off during pressing are solved with the e.max cad.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Its probably a cooling issue. Thick parts expands/shrinks more than the thin parts, causing a tug of war in the material,resulting in a crack. The HT ingots are more likely to have this issue, compared to the other ingots. Seen it once with a LT ingot.
I always slow cool to 500 celsius, and be sure to fill up the inside of the crown completely with a peg material to create a more uniform heating/cooling in the restoration.
perfect.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of transitioning customers back to Emax. I only had the situation you are talking about when I would rush and pull one out of the oven early. Always a thick to thin situation. Rarely had that happen though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD