DURAFLEX flexible inquiry....

A

albert@

Reaction score
Kindly help me out with my DURAFLEX flexible denture. Im from the Philippines by the way.

It is suggested that overnight soaking of flexible denture be done about 3 times per week using manufacturer approved denture cleaner as there are denture cleaners ( ex polident for acrylic dentures ) which may be too harsh for Duraflex flexis that can/will cause DISCOLORATION of Duraflex. So what popular brands and type of denture cleaner can be safely used on Duraflex for overnight soaking to kill off germs/bacteria ?

An Orthodontist here in the Philippines actually told me that for regular cleaning use warm (not hot ) running water or warm water with dishwashing liquid to clean. A friend said that for overnight soaking 3 x a week, a cheaper yet safe alternative , is water mixed with a little Salt or mouthwash such as Listerine or better yet Oracare (coz no alcohol so less harsh ) to cleanse the Duraflex of bacteria that regular cleaning with running water alone ( or water with dishwashing liquid ) cannot clean fully. Are these alternative correct/okey for Duraflex ? If not kindly guide me .

Thank You

Brian Hyde

Brian Hyde

Reaction score
Vinigar works well for cleaning apliances.. The acid in the vinigar will break down bacteria groth on the denture..

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I know Valplast recommended Kleenite (by Vicks) when they were having trouble supplying their cleaner.

A

albert@

Reaction score
Vinigar works well for cleaning apliances.. The acid in the vinigar will break down bacteria groth on the denture..

Thanks , thats for cleaning but for overnight soaking like you said vinigar has acid, wont it be too harsh if soaked overnight or just do away with overnight soaking and just use vinigar cleaning/soaking for say 10 min only will do to replace the need for overnight soaking ?

Thanks

A

albert@

Reaction score
I know Valplast recommended Kleenite (by Vicks) when they were having trouble supplying their cleaner.

Thanks. Ive actually emailed the makers of duraflex 2 times inquiring them about whether they sell a specifice cleaner for their product or has recommended ones but have yet to get a reply. I could order Valplast cleaner online but hesitant if it would be okey to use Valplast cleaner for Duraflex coz as much as they are both flexi, they are not from the same company and im not sure if they are made from same materials as duraflex is more rigid than valplast and thus if using the same type of cleaner would be appropriate.

A

albert@

Reaction score
Oh sorry forgot to ask. It is said that when not in use to keep it in water (at night ) or even soaked under a denture cleaner .Over time, wont the long hours under water weaken the bond that binds the false plastic tooth/teeth to the duraflex nylon resin ?

Thanks

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
there is no bond. Like acrylic bases won't bond to porcelain teeth, nylon doesn't bond to the tooth it is strictly a mechanical bond. Soaking is recommended so that the material won't soak up nasty, stinky body juices.

D

dannyew

Reaction score
The manufacturer of DuraFlex has a product for cleaning and for polishing called DenCare, which is supposed to be available through dentists. I have contacted the mfr. to locate a dentist where I now live who carries it but have received no reply.
I have a hybrid partials - 2 actually. They have a metal framework with both metal and DuraFlex clasps. I was told to use a mild soap to clean with a soft, baby toothbrush, but I don't feel it does a good enough job.

On my denture, there is a bond between the DuraFlex and the metal, and I do worry about using a brush to clean in these areas.

mert_k

mert_k

Reaction score
I would also recommend switching to Deflex Partials (Deflex).
They have a "semi"-flexible material, far beyond traditional flexible dentures made of polyamide. Highly resistant to fluids, easily finishable and polishable. And the dentures are maintained quite similar to acrylic dentures.
So popular here in Turkey for more than 3-4 years now.
I know the inventor in person, Mr. Ruben Narinsky from Buenos Aires. A master dental technician indeed.

All the best, Mert

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The machine looks nice, we do Valplast here in the states and its by far the biggest name in the flexible game.

This system interests me, why have we not heard of it???

mert_k

mert_k

Reaction score
The machine looks nice, we do Valplast here in the states and its by far the biggest name in the flexible game.

Run as a family company, and they are taking their steps quite carefully, maybe because of this. We met this company by coincidence, but really happy with the material.
They should have acquired their class II CE certification nowadays. Sorry but I am not aware of their FDA approval situation, as CE is the only criterion for Turkey. But you can contact Ms. Silvina Lagostena, overseas sales manager (pedidos[at]deflex.com.ar) for any further details.

All the best, Mert

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score

Wea already work with Deflex near 7 years, i think it's best thermoplastic material for removables

j_marks101

j_marks101

Reaction score

No FDA and to the best of my knowledge they also do not have a proper CE mark even though they distribute in Europe.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
No FDA and to the best of my knowledge they also do not have a proper CE mark even though they distribute in Europe.

There is so much of this in the world and there seems to be very little enforcement. Regulation, registration, and compliance is worthless without proper checks and enforcement/penalties from governing bodies. Looks like every man for himself sometimes - a dog-eat-dog world where no-one gives a 5hit. Why do people get voted into positions of power and responsibility if nothing gets done? Oh yeah, the fees...doh.

mert_k

mert_k

Reaction score
Deflex is already registered in the EU through UK for a very long time. They just open up new frontiers for them with a higher class CE certification although they do not have to (believe me, i got a letter from the MHRA-UK confirming that Deflex is -properly- registered and approved for free sales and distribution within the European Union, just send me a PM and i can forward you the official agency letter).

Apart and beyond the documentation matters, which i am 100% confident that they are proper and sufficient, I would really like the people here would be able to try this product. However, I contacted Deflex and learned that they still have a few months ahead to complete the FDA approval issues to be able to supply this product in the US.
Deflex for USA needs patience for a few months!

All my best, Mert

j_marks101

j_marks101

Reaction score
Class I registration of a CE mark is not possible for a denture material no matter what anybody tells you. It needs to be registered as Class IIa, which requires a notified body to issue an EC certificate. There is no way around that, period. No letter from any agency would hold stand up when the state authorities in any member EU state come to visit a lab and they don't have the actual EC Certificate.

This is the BARE MINIMUM to sell a medical device in these countries. Sad that so many manufacturers don't abide and that the authorities don't enforce it as much as they should.

mert_k

mert_k

Reaction score
Class I registration of a CE mark is not possible for a denture material no matter what anybody tells you. It needs to be registered as Class IIa, which requires a notified body to issue an EC certificate. There is no way around that, period. No letter from any agency would hold stand up when the state authorities in any member EU state come to visit a lab and they don't have the actual EC Certificate.

This is the BARE MINIMUM to sell a medical device in these countries. Sad that so many manufacturers don't abide and that the authorities don't enforce it as much as they should.
Hi Justin.. from Valplast, right?

I would not prefer to bother the forum with very detailed classification issues, but just to inform you little bit and clarify this matter, I would say that these dentures are considered as class I, as they should be removed during the night, or just as I recommend to my patients, for a several hours anytime around the clock to give a rest to the denture bearing soft tissues.

It all depends on the intended use of the medical device or indications covered by the med. device manufacturer. But hey, no stress! They've got the Class IIa cert. anyway..

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Hi Justin.. from Valplast, right?

I would not prefer to bother the forum with very detailed classification issues, but just to inform you little bit and clarify this matter, I would say that these dentures are considered as class I, as they should be removed during the night, or just as I recommend to my patients, for a several hours anytime around the clock to give a rest to the denture bearing soft tissues.

It all depends on the intended use of the medical device or indications covered by the med. device manufacturer. But hey, no stress! They've got the Class IIa cert. anyway..
Isn't it for the regulatory bodies for dentistry to decide?
I'm not exactly sure about this - but isn't class1 items band-aids, gloves, enema pipe etc ? and dentures are a class 2 custom-made device specially designed and manufactured according to a unique prescription from a suitably qualified professional. The onus is then on the person who places the appliance on the market to have systems in place that verify the authenticity and suitability of materials included in the devices. The particular use of a given mateial needs to meet specific standards. Is simply selling a certain material not associated with the same rules as those that are applied to manufacturers who convert the material into an appliance?

D

dannyew

Reaction score
Duraflex

Going back to the original question, does anyone know how to care for DuraFlex (not ValPlast) partials? It's impossible to get a response from the manufacturer. My dentist said to use a mild soap and water, but that does not get them clean.

It's ridiculous that no one in the industry seems to know how to clean these partials effectively.
:confused:

Top Bottom