Digital Dental Lab's "Dental Mill 5"

jackjabbour

jackjabbour

Reaction score
So I have just purchased a dental mill 5 from Digital Dental Lab. Its a 5 axis 2 puck system which mills zirconia, wax, and puma. I was referred to this company from a friend in the business and he said they were great machines, and i have no reason to doubt him so I spent over 50K on my mill and sintering oven and what was needed to get started. basically I am posting to see if anyone has experience with this machine, company, etc... so far it seems good, the owner of the company is helpful and really knows what he's talking about. I should be receiving the machine in the next couple of weeks and hopefully get it running soon after. I have no experience yet with milling in house, and am looking forward to it! would love some advice, things to look out for as a rookie at milling in house. thanks guys, appreciate any input in advance!!

jack

C

charles007

Reaction score
Your locked into buying Crystal zirconia, and the only reason I didn't buy the system..

jackjabbour

jackjabbour

Reaction score
not 100% true.....the owner says he wants to see you purchase some material from him and for that he will offer free maintenance/support. but he doesnt make you sign any contract or anything that states you need to purchase a certain amount of material from him. these were all questions i had for him before i made the purchase. It may of been that way with the company at one time, but now it is not.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I guess Kim changed his policy, and thats great... Several years ago you were required to pay 18k in order to mill other brands of zirconia..

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Is there any link to see this machine ?

C

charles007

Reaction score
No link. It's not on his website. Looks like they don't put much into their marketing and website.

Is this the new mill with the built-in suction and compressor, and mills wet ?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
You probably should have made this post before dropping $50k+, right? Either way you're stuck. I would call to make sure they don't lock you in (via software or special sized discs). Did you read all of the fine print of whatever you signed when you purchased?

jackjabbour

jackjabbour

Reaction score
Haha my auto correct obviously didn't understand pmma and assumed I was trying to say puma.

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
Cameron seems like a pretty sharp dude, too - and very passionate about his machine and what they're doing with it.

M

miller

Reaction score
I use a dentmill 5 And we are having a lot of problems with the zirconia pucks! the support sprews cracking and the copings, FZ margins cracking in soft state?

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
So I have just purchased a dental mill 5 from Digital Dental Lab. Its a 5 axis 2 puck system which mills zirconia, wax, and puma. I was referred to this company from a friend in the business and he said they were great machines, and i have no reason to doubt him so I spent over 50K on my mill and sintering oven and what was needed to get started. basically I am posting to see if anyone has experience with this machine, company, etc... so far it seems good, the owner of the company is helpful and really knows what he's talking about. I should be receiving the machine in the next couple of weeks and hopefully get it running soon after. I have no experience yet with milling in house, and am looking forward to it! would love some advice, things to look out for as a rookie at milling in house. thanks guys, appreciate any input in advance!!

jack

Hey Man, you will like this machine I have two of them. Cameron is the man, he will help you machine or get you the template to mill all kinds of restorations !

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
I use a dentmill 5 And we are having a lot of problems with the zirconia pucks! the support sprews cracking and the copings, FZ margins cracking in soft state?

You should recalibrate your mill and when you sprew in delcam use the "horizon shading" tool in the sprew mode so you can see how the mill will cut a nice and round sprew. the chipping and cracking seems to be 9 out 10 a calibration issue. I like to home my machine every time before i do a new job/mill just to make sure my mill in a "zero/home" before milling, especially if you did some 3+2 milling prior.

M

miller

Reaction score
We have done all that you suggested. It's still doing it? You shouldn't have to calibrate it every time you run a program!

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
We have done all that you suggested. It's still doing it? You shouldn't have to calibrate it every time you run a program!

I said home after every job, not "calibrate". This is what I do after I finish machining a job whether its a single molar or a full arch zirc bridge in 3+2 mode. I run "load puck" when it moves to that neutral position then home the machine with "home button on the mill". If that does'nt work I would check your collet to make sure its not moving during the milling, that would defiantly cause your chipping and cracked units. Hope this helps.