Diamond Crown

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Anyone heard of this or using this material?

I went to a course last night promoting Diamond Crown. It's a light curing resin material that can be used to make inlays/onlays, veneers, crowns and 3 unit bridges (with wide connectors). The material is added to the die model on it's own or on a metal/zirconia substructure with a spatula. There's a dentin, enamel and incisal layer you add to build your crown. You light cure it at a specific temperature for a specific amount of time and trim any final adjustments needed. Finally you hand polish it or add a glaze material to it. If using a metal/zirconia substructure there's an opaque you can use.

Supposedly, the Diamond Crown is very tissue friendly and the crown may need to be surgically removed from the patient if it needs to be removed. If I remember correctly the fluxural strength is 231 Mpa. A 5g tube of this material costs $86 (canadian). Here's a website that talks about it some more. dental lab, SOLAMU OF BEVERLY HILLS Home

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
im not sure what the indirect resin market is like in Canada, but here in the States it is a DEAD product. completely dead. in the mid-1990's I remember Sculpture Fibercord, Artglass, Targis, Belleglass, Cristobol - they are all gone. the reason why was gordon christensen's CRA report basically crushing and bashing these systems, saying the longevity was awful, terrible wear, etc. the other reason I believe it died is because the direct composites the dentists are using have become much, much better in the last 10 years.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Diamong Crown is no better than any other indirect composite in my opinion.It has been about 10 years since I used the product. I think it had about 86% ceramic filler content if I recall.Light heat and vacuum cured just like Sculpture from Pentron.
I would only use this material for long term temporaries ( ie. 1 year max)
I used to make inlay bridges with a quartz fibre bar strengthener but they did not last long.
Obviously it can be bonded to enamel but it will not bond to zirconia. You would need mechanical retention from the opague material.
What happens when it delaminates from the zirconia in the mouth?

I think it is best used for composite inlays ,temps or modifying denture teeth in my opinion.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
@ sixonice

From what I know the indirect resin market is not big in Canada. I don't think I know anyone using it.

@ rkm rdt

There's a special liquid that's applied to the metal or zirconia that helps the diamond crown bond to it. What I found most problomatic with this material is that you can't stain it. If the shade is off you have to trim off the material and add more until you get the desired shade. I don't think I'd want to be doing that if a patient had to come to the lab needing the shade changed. I agree with you and think this material is better suited for temporaries. Too bad the price isn't lower.

D

dental1975

Reaction score
I made Diamond crowns in a dentist office for a year after e passed his partner replaced them all said they broke.

Top Bottom