Dental lab air compressors

S

shad9876

Reaction score
My brother and mom are both in the dental lab business and I am helping them get set up with a new air compressor.

For years, they have used a traditional "auto body shop" type of air compressor (60 gallons, ~3-5HP). There biggest complaint is the noise and that it runs all the time when using the high-speed hand tools.

I am trying to find out what the difference is between these "auto body shop" style air compressors and actual dental air compressor setups.

The prices of the dental air compressors seem outrageous and I am wondering if there is something inherently superior about them or if they are just over-priced?

A new 60 gal., ~3.5 hp, 11cfm "auto body shop" air compressor will run about $400-500 dollars and a dental air compressor that is a fraction of the size, hp and cfm appears to be 4 or 5 times that!!

Am I missing something??

C

charles007

Reaction score
Your missing the noise and the dryer.......How much air do they need??

I have a dental compressor thats 15 years old with no repairs.... Extremely quite with 2 -1/2hp OIL compressors, 20gal tank. These run about $1700 now and fine for a 2 man lab...... Had I bought a 3-5 hp Sears ,I would have had to replace many times over........
This question was posted on DT, will check and post later, and give you the brand of a cheaper brand of compressor than a dental compressor thats not so noisy..

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Mine came from Home Depot. Twin piston, cast iron.
It runs around ten handpieces and two lava mills, and a few sandblasters.

We run a dehumidifyer in the room with the air compressor. The combo was around $500 on sale. That's all ya need IMO. It is loud.

Charles, my "upstairs lab" has a 1960s Sears and Robuck pump. I've never even checked the oil. My 1950s Refrig is still running from Sears also, but.....

The recent models Sears offers from China are terrible.

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
Scott, I'm ashamed to say that I've only changed the oil in my compressor twice, a real bitch to change......But I do check it when it gets noisy !!! thats a big clue that its begging for oil.........

C

charles007

Reaction score
On DT many doctors are buying IR Ingersoll Rand compressors, and saying that they are not as noisy as Sears.......They also come with a air intake muffler on them.........

S

shad9876

Reaction score
sorry for my ignorance, but what is DT?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
sorry for my ignorance, but what is DT?

DT=Dental Town

Dentaltown Home

You have to sign up, kind a pain in the ass, but it's the google of dentistry if you ask me.

I use a Home Depot special, but am consulting with a air compressor company for something much more suitable for me, but my bomb shelter in the basement is great for reducing the noise for now...lol

S

shad9876

Reaction score
Thanks Rob,

You're patrioticthunder.com website is excellent and spot-on!! I just recently joined the Army and will be shipping out for basic in July and then Officer Candidate School in September.

Our current "leader" didn't and hasn't encouraged my desicion to join, but I figure with him in office, the country will need all the help She can get and I am determined to do my small part.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rob,

You're patrioticthunder.com website is excellent and spot-on!! I just recently joined the Army and will be shipping out for basic in July and then Officer Candidate School in September.

Our current "leader" didn't and hasn't encouraged my desicion to join, but I figure with him in office, the country will need all the help She can get and I am determined to do my small part.

That's frigging awesome brother.......welcome to an elite club of individual minded folks that band together to fight for freedom. I say elite club because less than 7% of the U.S. population is even qualified to join the military.....let alone make it through basic or OCS..... Just stay focused and make sure you got some humor in your back pocket, that's the only thing that helped me make it through it.....and you will make it through it, you always got to tell yourself that....you will....most people would say good luck now, but their is no luck involved, only the will of determination.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I use an Ingersoll-Rand 5 hp., its been running for 25 years with an occasional oil change. I've had to replace the pressure switch once and the flywheel came off because the woodruff key that holds it from spinning on the shaft broke, I only needed a new key ( about .79 at a hardware store ). I would say that it is now in need of having the pump rebuilt, I suspect if I do that it will run for 20 more years.

D

drsrilatha

Reaction score
connecting hand piece to compressor

hi

I bought a 4 hole hand piece and husky air compressor from home depot,

Now I am having trouble connecting these two. Can any one please help.

thanks

A

AL1

Reaction score
I am told that the difference between regular air compressor`s and dental ones( I have one called a bambi very quiet its in my lab) Is that one`s like mine have refrigerator compressor`s, that`s why they are quiet and that`s why they cost so much.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I am told that the difference between regular air compressor`s and dental ones( I have one called a bambi very quiet its in my lab) Is that one`s like mine have refrigerator compressor`s, that`s why they are quiet and that`s why they cost so much.

Also much higher quality pistons and rings. The hardware stores compressors just compress but allow oil to get past the rings and out into the air supply. Unless youre using top shelf dryers and filters, youre alot better off using an oil-less pump. A little oil vapor running through your sand blaster can mess up everything.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I bought a sears professional air compressor it's very quiet but breaks down a lot... I've replaced the head gasket 3 times now. long story short don't buy a crapsman air compressor spend the money and get something that will last like mentioned an Ingersoll the money will be well spent.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I bought a stand up 5 gal 220v cast iron Campbell housfield from homedepot for about $400 in 1992 I have never "Changed" the oil but I have added some over the years. I replaced the auto shutoff solenoid ONCE and thats the only thing I have done. The thing is bullet proof.

I did install a ball valve for the drain on a line that runs outside and we drain the tank once a week. It is very loud but its installed in its own sound proof closet on a perimeter wall so it is not heard inside the lab.

I think the only reason to spend the big bucks on a "Dental" model is if you can not contain the noise of a commercial model.

A

AL1

Reaction score
I realize that a dental air compressor is more money. If it costs $500 for a regular one and $1700 for a dental one, you are actually only paying $1200 more plus the write off on taxes. Also, if you pro rate the cost of a piece of equipment over its life I think the difference becomes more negligible.So the actual difference isn't that great.
I am a believer in buying the best you can afford.
No, it wont make you a better tech. but not fighting equipment lets you concentrate on bettering your skill level with less frustration and less of that is what I think we all want.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I bought a stand up 5 gal 220v cast iron Campbell housfield from homedepot for about $400 in 1992 I have never "Changed" the oil but I have added some over the years. I replaced the auto shutoff solenoid ONCE and thats the only thing I have done. The thing is bullet proof.

I did install a ball valve for the drain on a line that runs outside and we drain the tank once a week. It is very loud but its installed in its own sound proof closet on a perimeter wall so it is not heard inside the lab.

I think the only reason to spend the big bucks on a "Dental" model is if you can not contain the noise of a commercial model.

I realize youre a good tech, so Im not questioning your practices...but where do you suspect that oil went? Just sayin

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
oil does evaporate, believe it or not.

I'm sure plenty of it coated the inside of all pipes and lines and valves.
So what?
I guess you are getting at oil may be coming out of lines? A little oil is almost everywhere. Helps high speed hand pieces last longer. Keeps my solonoids from sticking as well. I like oil myself. I need the oil in the lines to counter the effects of the water vapor. they go together like.... oil and water? I don't want my crap all rusting away. A good slimey coat of oil is just what the doc ordered in my case.

When I was a kid in a local auto-shop. We added oil into the lines and tools to lubricate them to prevent corrosion from water and other garbage. Most mechanics have to buy their own tools. This is what they do.

Depends on what you are using compressed air for I guess? Are you blow-drying your hair? Then don't add oil, and try to get the air all super-crazy clean then.

Medical compressors are for blowing small amounts of clean air into peoples mouths. Not powering a dental lab.

Scott

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
The oil does evaporate. Right into the air that sprays aluminum oxide on our frameworks. I used to do some paint and body work and didnt have a good enough filter/dryer and got some problems in the paint. Its worth not waiting for a problem to show up from the oil and just work without it.

Top Bottom