Clean Your Lab!

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
I have a terrible time keeping my lab clean.
Just was wanting some tips or time savers that you guys have found useful. The picture is of my wire bending station after one week of work.
Do you guys clean everyday, after every case or once a month?
any tips on keeping the wire bits under control?
phpFBq7BWPM.jpg

L

labdude

Reaction score
Cluster **** Cade.
I use shelves in a cabinet to the right of where I sit. All within reach. I put the solder supplies there, as well as other goodies I need, but don't need in the way. Clean up is every day at every station. That si one more thing that will aid in your ability to produce quickly and with quality control.
Looks like a job for Sawyer.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Lots of people looking at this mess Cade. I had to clean my monitor after looking here.
Is this like reverse phsycology your doing to yourself??? You come back and look and go "GGEEEEZZ", that guy.
I wonder Cade, I can't help myself from wondering about things, do you shower at least once a week wether you need it or not??
What about brush your teeth?? Monthly?? Quarterly?? Yearly??
Then I go on, I wonder about items like toilet paper.
You know what toilet paper is Cade???
I could go on, but, there is work to do.
Still....your posts are fun!

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
- Need to find a way to store things not used at the moment. I have a ceramic beer stein for ortho pliers, they sit around the rim and the wire stores inside. Use plastic bins-dollar store type to store common/like items. Have all my solder supplies in one, burs for bench lathe in one ect. Makes everything easy to grab to work and has a specific place to put when done. Shelves right above bench are great as well as magnetic bars.
I try to vaccum everday to keep the dust level down.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I feel dirty after seeing that, I have to go shower.

P

Purely Prosthetics

Reaction score
Have children.... then make them clean it.....LOL that's what I did!!

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Lots of people looking at this mess Cade. I had to clean my monitor after looking here.
Is this like reverse phsycology your doing to yourself??? You come back and look and go "GGEEEEZZ", that guy.
I wonder Cade, I can't help myself from wondering about things, do you shower at least once a week wether you need it or not??
What about brush your teeth?? Monthly?? Quarterly?? Yearly??
Then I go on, I wonder about items like toilet paper.
You know what toilet paper is Cade???
I could go on, but, there is work to do.
Still....your posts are fun!

@labdude I'll have you know I bought toilet paper yesterday(it was an emergency:eek:)and took a shower this morning, doesn't matter that I can remember the last time before that. I even have a shower in my lab that I never use.
As far as getting Sawyer to clean up...I cant wait until he is old enough, 'cause HE'S THE ONE making all the mess! Or at least I can blame him while he is little.

What do you guys do with the little pieces of wire. Do you keep up to a certain size? Like anything under 3" gets thrown away? where do you put them until you can reuse them?

Do you guys wire bend on a bare tabletop, or on a towel to catch all the dust? (Labdude doesn't count he uses some kind of Horseshoeing contraption to hold his model off the table top:))

Looks like i need to invest into some shelves from what you guys are saying.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Well.....o.k. Cade....I guess I need to take a few pictures. I never thought I would be taking pictures to show how to organize stuff.
Keep in mind my cabinets are a work in progress, as are my grinding and acrylic working areas. Actually...my entire life is a work in progress, I got projects enough to last into another life.
Still....clutter is at a minimum.
When I first started bending wires ( before pliers were made for the task, we used 2 sticks) I used to work on the model on the bench. Sounds like that is what your doing. Get a model holder you cheap skate. The difference in your ease of production will show within a week. Strange to use at first, after working on the bench, but nice as you can position the model in any direction needed, freeing up your hands. Trying to move or hold a model while using pliers in 1 hand, and holding wire in the other, pain in the butt.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
OK, now im embarrassed that you couldn't see my model holder in the picture ( On the left by the Heat Shield) trust me mine is well worn!

L

labdude

Reaction score
Small pieces of wire. .028 goes in a plastic bowl, about 3 " across. I use it for rests, sometimes springs. I use mostly .020 for springs in acrylic.
.036 goes in anothe small holder, used for RPEs, etc.
.030 goes in another holder, I use these short pieces for making lower lingual arches provided they are long enough. Shortest ones I use for 2X2 arches.
I accumulate these pieces as I go during the day. Rather than toss out the bits, they find a home elsewhere.
Thing that is a must....keep the sizes separate.
Use goodies you can find at the stationary store. I found a goody years ago, still in use, that has 3 slots and 3 drawers. Tiny slots and drawers, about 1" wide by 3" deep. One of the slots hold .036 wire, drawers hold expansion screws for Schwarz, Sagittals.
RPE screws are stored in a small box in a cabinet right next to me, easy reach. I keep the T-Rex screws there as well as Herbst parts etc.
In a pinch Cade, if you run out of TP, shower curtains make a nice substitute!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
In a pinch Cade, if you run out of TP, shower curtains make a nice substitute!

Dang Dude, your really being cruel to him. You could at least suggest he do what Ozzy, Tazzie, and Chance do. Nature at its finest. Scoot his behind across the carpet.

Last edited:
CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
Mike I hope your wife doesn't read this forum or she is going to come after you!

L

labdude

Reaction score
Linda knows me to well Candi. There is no hope.

Al, our dogs are trained to use a litter box. Maybe Cade could get himself one too??

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
I think I have exactly the think that will work for the wire bits. And it is sitting right next to me the whole time. Its a nut and bolt organizer from the hardware store.
It took a little razing but I got the help I needed.
My life is an open (dirty) book.

Top Bottom