Can the weight be the problem?

D

dt84

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
Can you, please, share your professional opinion on this case.
Full gold crown on tooth # 26, the weight of the crown is 6 gm. (86% gold) as the prep is quite small.
Are there any possible complications due to the heaviness of the crown? (Apart from the financial burden.) For instance, can this unusually heavy crown eventually pull the roots down from the bone?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
H

harry1

Reaction score
IMO, more chance of losing the crown from displacement than lossening the root from the bone.

Years ago aquaforma crowns were a popular way of make lightweigth crowns, reducing the alloy bill, anybody still using this system? must be a few machines arround?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Why didn't the dentist build up the core?

Not your problem!

D

dt84

Reaction score
Thank you, harry1 and rkm rdt, for your answers.
Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the size of the prep. There was a PFM crown before on that tooth. It was made overseas. It lasted for 3 years (porcelain chipped). The prep was bigger, but here doc tried to create more retention and made some grooves too. Patient has periodontitis, that’s why I asked about loosening the root.
Harry1, could you give me some source of information about aquaforma crowns as Google did not help?
Thank you again.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
if the patient has advanced periodontal disease, then absolutely yes that large, heavy crown could certainly cause addtional issues for the doctor & patient such as the crown becomming loose or looser or may possibly fall out down the road. more could certainly be done, this case needs an implant or a split to engage more support from other healthier surrounding teeth.

D

Dannysdental

Reaction score
I have a aqua forma in my lab excellent for producing multiple copings which need little finishing

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
IMO, more chance of losing the crown from displacement than lossening the root from the bone.

Years ago aquaforma crowns were a popular way of make lightweigth crowns, reducing the alloy bill, anybody still using this system? must be a few machines arround?

This sounds like something Tim should make a ten minute how to video on. :) "Hallowed out gold crowns"

A

AL1

Reaction score
What is aqua forma, never heard of it. Where can we see how it works.

M

martintay

Reaction score
Threw 2 away about 10 years ago, and always regretted it. !!

P

Paul Coghlan

Reaction score
Hi just joined..............I invented the Aquforma in 1981 what info would you all like me to post.........Paul

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Hi just joined..............I invented the Aquforma in 1981 what info would you all like me to post.........Paul

Welcome to DLN ! Could you provide a link or describe its modus operandi ?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!
Sorry, I've never heard of it till now. Can you tell us what problem it solves and how it does that using what materials?

Top Bottom