best way to grow a new lab

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Train your wife to do all your billing and shipping and recieving or local P/U if you are lucky you can talk her into doing some of your model work on one of the new pinless systems. (No model trimming for her). That way you can keep your baby out of daycare and your wife from having to work outside of the home."

Half my time goes on running about, packing and silly things, totally kills production.

Unfortunetly id kill my girlfriend if we had to work all day together :blah:, so thats a tricky one :)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"Train your wife to do all your billing and shipping and recieving or local P/U if you are lucky you can talk her into doing some of your model work on one of the new pinless systems. (No model trimming for her). That way you can keep your baby out of daycare and your wife from having to work outside of the home."

Half my time goes on running about, packing and silly things, totally kills production.

Unfortunetly id kill my girlfriend if we had to work all day together :blah:, so thats a tricky one :)

I take it she doesn't read your posts:D

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Oh she knows, i tell her thats what the hammer in the model room is for ;)

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the advice! I have a pick-up/delivery girl, she's hot :), I also have a guy who wants to run the buisness side and he is interested in running the scanner once I get one. Left brain, right brain. I am by NO means a salesman, I enjoy the art, so I realize I need someone who can handle the other side.
As far as the tiered work goes, I am offering it. I offer stain and glaze emax, for 35 bucks more I will layer it, and I have a higher price for my anterior work. Need to get some NP alloy for PFM's as I only have Argents 65 SF at the moment($$$$). any suggestions? I was thinking capricorn so I can also use it for my implants.
Still much to learn but I will enjoy the journey. Again thank you all for the advice, I have and will continue to learn good things from DLN

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Work by the week not the day and your production will double.

Hey Al, what does working by the week mean? Eg, I want to do 70 units per week not 7 per day? Or you can set higher quotas and goals by lumping your working "blocks" into weeks instead of days?

-Pat

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score

Boutique is for gay hair dressers.

Absofrigginlutely..

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
One thing if you dont already know this... DO NOT show off work that you cant potentially do on a regular basis. For one you probably cannot afford to. Two, it pisses Doctors off when they see this awesome work and what comes back to them doesn't look the same.
I do have to say though that the work you showed looks fantastic.. I dont think I could make anteriors that pretty no matter how much time I had, let alone production speed. Kudos.

Btw, I use talladiums NP alloy.. Casts fantastic and finishes nice. Will cast very very thin.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
One thing if you dont already know this... DO NOT show off work that you cant potentially do on a regular basis. For one you probably cannot afford to. Two, it pisses Doctors off when they see this awesome work and what comes back to them doesn't look the same.

can, will, have for a while now..:) in a compromised situation where the end result won't be "awesome" I will contact the doctors, advise them of this and if possible address/fix the issues so my awesomeness continues.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Ok for real now Scott,
Are you going to offer full contour zirconia once you get the scanner?
The ROI will increase a hell of a lot and your dentists wont have to go somewhere else to get it.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Need to get some NP alloy for PFM's

Ti-Lite from talladium- works great we have used it for years

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Wirobond C for NP alloy. Congrats on your new endeavor.. I agree , as most do, with Al. Keep the work rolling in for a fair price.. Once youve listed your price too high.. you might get a crown or two a month.. but you certainly wont get everything, and then youll be sitting on your hands wishing you wouldve started low and raised it with time.. HUMILITY goes a LOOONG way when your self employed.. Be prepared to swallow your 'artist' pride and get your toes stepped on a bit. Thick skin helps.. remember its not personal its business.......

and for whats its worth.. the lab names gotta go.. if you want a professional to take you seriously.. just being honest.

mdli04

mdli04

Reaction score
Very nice work, what type of porcelain do you use?

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Disturbed, I wish you a successful and happy life with your lab and family. Congrats.

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
I wnted to jump in here, I've been doing this for over 20 years ,and wanted to market for all the hard stuff and get paid more for it ! well that's what i got- most of my cases are matching dentition w photos.Single central heaven ! You have to realize that you won't always receive that wonderfull prep and the photo is from a 1947 camera- with a big flash on the facial ! how many times can you fix the shade and make a profit? Yes I have a passion for the art also but at what point does this stop from bieng a hobby to making a living.Your work looks great! Keep up the good work !

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"You are able to choose the time you want to work, and how long you want to do it"

wow, are you a dentist or a technician as thats sure not my experience of how working for your self as a lab tech works.

were a service industry, i full fill prescriptions to a given date without consultation on when it suits me so how do i choose when i want to work??

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
"You are able to choose the time you want to work, and how long you want to do it"

wow, are you a dentist or a technician as thats sure not my experience of how working for your self as a lab tech works.

were a service industry, i full fill prescriptions to a given date without consultation on when it suits me so how do i choose when i want to work??

You got that right Paul!! When I went on my own, I traded one boss for ten.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I would not give up I do your work for I work for you unless there was no other choice.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
I would not give up I do your work for I work for you unless there was no other choice.

EH?? usually you speak so well tom... spending to much time on the phone speaking to china i think....

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Your right that looks almost unreadable. What I meant was, If I were you I would not approach this industry like you work for the dentist but that you do the dentists work. They are a very different mind sets.

I'm covered up and have been interviewing for more office help.