Automated process to trim and finish clear aligners

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
As the eqipment is fictional, no. It would be a custom machine.
Actually I would say that our solution is not truly fictional.

Our final deliverable "system" is custom in as much as it is based on the users IT infrastructure and their desires for the level of automation at the various stages of the design and fabrication process- utilizing standard off-the-shelf automation "components". The system is scalable and automation "components" can be added incrementally as the need/desire arises.

It consists of software to take case STL files, automatically develop a trimline, generate 5-axis NC code to drive a standard Versamill machine (with only custom fixture & control functions)- all without traditional CAD or CAM application software, verify the toolpath, identify CAD & CAM output assigned to a case, optionally robotically load/unload/cycle each appliance, optionally load/unload/transport finished appliance from from a thermoformer (with specific physical enviornmental and mounting requirements) to the Versamill and optionally transport a finished appliance to subsequent post processing stations or storage.

All controlled by standard PLC and our own software/interfaces as provided by our Versamill machine control.

We have a fully functional semi-automated process available now utilizing a milling operation (parallel development using an alternate method).

We at Axsys have extensive experience in automating these types of processes in the automotive and aircraft industries. The type of automation required for automation in this application, believe it or not, really poses no significant design, technological, fabrication, installation, or operational challenges for us.

We are in the process of finalizing, and taking delivery of, a few of the standard components to allow us to put together a fully functional cell to demonstrate full automation.

So, certain components and levels of automation are available now however complete automation (whatever that may be) has not been fully assembled and tested for release. So as CLH as indicated, I can see how this could be interpreted, on the surface as fictional or vapor-ware. However based on where we are and what remains, I would say those terms and not completely accurate.

This is about all I can say at this point (sorry can't share the nitty-gritty details). I will leave it to y'all to judge how fictional it is.

Please feel free to contact me for further information: [email protected] or 248.926.8810. I would be happy to discuss your application, objectives, timing, budget, etc. to determine if we have a deliverable to meet them.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I just meant MY thing is fiction. Doesnt exist. Yours is well developed.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Oy gevalt. I'm preparing the thread lock just in case.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
My solution can in theory push out up to30 aligners at once, not individually.

K

Kostadin Mitov

Reaction score
Good morning, sorry about the lack of PM option, it is not enabled until you've posted at least 5 times to prevent spamming of our members by new members who are unsclrupulous marketers. It's an automatic thing as we do not see PMs but do see and alow or delete public messages for the first few.

Here is the website, you were quoting a fine gentleman of Axsys and they will know who it is if you mention his username here. Just so you know when you call/contact them directly.

Hello,
Is there a machine, which can stamp the logo and the number of steps on the aligners?
Kind regards,
Kostadin

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
I would suggest laser engraving utilized in conjunction with barcode/RFID identification that could sort this out along with tracking STL model files, Trimlines and NC programs...

T

Tiffany914

Reaction score
no polishing at all needed? The cut is completely smooth??

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Laser cuts typically are quite smooth.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
plus aligner fee's. Plus, plus, plus...
Save on hardware and pay for service or pay for hardware and save on service Questionmark That's the question... till someone hacks the cheapo hardware

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Everyone has seen this right?

There seem to be a bunch of these popping up and to me no one has hit it on the head yet. I'm not talking about the kind of major solution @brayks has mentioned with traceability and all of that. I'm talking about a big practice or a small lab type situation.

-Pocket NC -> Good software, expensive hardware, one unit at a time, pay per use too?
-Ulab -> Locked into their software. One unit at a time
-5axismaker -> Good hardware with volume throughput, almost there on price, terrible software workflow
-Trimlign "Ortho-Automation" - single model throughput

A few weeks ago, I spent a couple of weekends working up a demo software workflow that could maybe be paired with an open hardware solution. I'm not sure if anything will come of it but I thought I would share. I'm not affiliated in any way with any of the companies above.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
What machine is doing the thermoforming? Also looks automated? Or sucked down over a template?

After watching a video of the final results, it looks like theres still some hand work to do.. I just dont see how this is any better or faster than doing it by hand, just automated.. but is it really saving time or eliminating a laborer..? It takes 15-20 seconds to trim a guard, I could have most of that tray done before all of the models were even clamped down..

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
I wanna see a 15 second human trim! I agree that it has a little way to go before it makes sense.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ok not a final trim, but to cut off the flash? Less than 30 seconds. It doesnt take long if you have the right tools. The time spent on a pc to set it up, to send it to the mill, would take longer IMO.

Top Bottom