Anyone have a PMMA template for Dentmill CAM that is conducive to mill surgical stent

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Our Dentmill templates are great for acrylic teeth, but they do not like the shape of the stents and thus the burrs break.
Thanks,
Kara

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
Kara it would be better if you printed them or have delcam make you a template that slows the machine down for those mills so your burs dont break and heat up the pmma material.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I am working with Delcam, but I figured I would put it out there in the meantime.

ayane

ayane

Hero of Time
Reaction score
Maybe use the macro to edit the feeds/speed for the toolpath that's causing the breakage?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No Margin detected, and probably some areas did not get roughed out, or pre-finished correctly.

You really need a custom milling strategy for milling stents.

Also specialized tools. We use flat ended tools, long drilling tools, Torus or radius-corner tools, and very unique strategy that only applys to surigical guides and stents.

I do not think just any dental strategy would work worth a crap.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Maybe use the macro to edit the feeds/speed for the toolpath that's causing the breakage?

I tried working with the rpms, but it seems to be the particular shape of the stent that is the culprit. The drill usually breaks as it begins to tackle an undercut. The long neck of the drill is broken off from above by the appliance. I was under the impression that creating templates takes a great deal of time, so I thought I could make the boss happy earlier rather than later.

Last edited:
ayane

ayane

Hero of Time
Reaction score
Creating templates in dentmill is not possible. you would need powermill.

I would suggest speaking to a delcam rep about creating a custom template for this application for you. It could be as simple as changing a few toolpaths parameters (tool used, step over/stepdown/prate/frate etc) to adjust for the additional stress on the tool during undercuts(easy),or creating an entire new template (not so easy).

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Most certianly needs an entirely new template.

110% sure about it. (coming from someone who has made their own strategy for this application)

Very different task from a coping or crown.

Top Bottom