Anterior Zirconia Monolithic

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Sevan, had you had any issues yet with this zircona as far as chipping or cracking during seating, as maybe the case of some of the high trans, super high trans zirconias? Or does the ~765mpa strength make up for of any of those concerns?

Edit: I'm looking to send Argen a lower cuspid to cuspid case for a bruxer who is edentulous
on the lowers past the cuspids. We will be doing implants later in the year there. Would AgrenZ Anterior be strong enough for these lower anteriors?
Sorry for the late reply car. Yes we had some cracking but this was due to use of diamonds and aggressive margin finishing in the finisher part. But have had breakage after cement action, yet. But as John stated follow the instructions, don't wing it like everyone does. We you green wheels and or blue wheels for finishing margins on a slow speed. But the anterior zr out there is really finicky and doest handle heat very well or going below min thickness. I treat this stuff just like e.max. no dark stumps, cast posts, ti abutments or 3 unit bridges with two molars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
No problem, Sevan, as I know how it goes. It really helps me appreciate all the more the time and effort that Ivoclar put into their emax manuals, especially the green one on proper thickness, connector sizes etc.

Thanks for the helpful reply :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Just a follow up question. While designing this case, I noticed in Operations and Parameters they have the default thickness at .45mm for FCZ o_O I called tech support, and they said that is their default for all their zirconia
settings, and that if I wanted to change it, go ahead on this case change it on the fly in Ops and Params, and then later I can change it in Materials Settings.

Shouldn't I be around at least 1mm thick for restoring this lower anterior bruxer case using this ~765mpa zirconia? )
interesting, my min thickness has always been .39mm
dont have any chipped margins, and no issues at all.

that being said, i dont send to argen and after the dpm debacle, i doubt i ever will. their quality is not where i need it to be. not that its bad, its just not good enough.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply car. Yes we had some cracking but this was due to use of diamonds and aggressive margin finishing in the finisher part. But have had breakage after cement action, yet. But as John stated follow the instructions, don't wing it like everyone does. We you green wheels and or blue wheels for finishing margins on a slow speed. But the anterior zr out there is really finicky and doest handle heat very well or going below min thickness. I treat this stuff just like e.max. no dark stumps, cast posts, ti abutments or 3 unit bridges with two molars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

maybe i havent tried the finicky anterior zirc that you have...care to share the troublesome zirconia names? maybe ive just been lucky. got lucky one other time, have a 2 year old to show for it.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
interesting, my min thickness has always been .39mm
dont have any chipped margins, and no issues at all.

that being said, i dont send to argen and after the dpm debacle, i doubt i ever will. their quality is not where i need it to be. not that its bad, its just not good enough.

This is one of the first posts i have seen about Argen's quality. I use them exclusively for models and dpm castings and a little slm for certain clients and I have been shocked with how consistent and good the quality is

What problems did you have?

C

charles007

Reaction score
John, you missed my post about Argen having lowered their quality lately. Got a call after my post from Argen getting a credit... !
Over the last couple of weeks I now have 3 crowns going back to Argen,,,, loose fits. On the second attempt on the same crown I lowered my cement gap spacer and raised
the Start of cement gap and the milled fcz came back even looser,,,,,,, :rolleyes:
Same stl file sent to another lab and no problem on the 3rd try......

user name

user name

Reaction score
My fits were always good, but the color was troublesome. My guess is they are rushing the sinter process.

C

charles007

Reaction score
My fits were always good, but the color was troublesome. My guess is they are rushing the sinter process.

Last year Argen milled 2-3anterior bridges, 6x8 9x11 frames come back oversized abutments with miniature pontics lol
Had to ship back to get a credit.......Seems like it took 3 trys to get the bridges to fit..........
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but Argen's problems keep showing up on my doorstep.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
hm. i know Argen hired some new person for their QC, sometime before or around the xmas season 2015 when the opening was posted here.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
This is one of the first posts i have seen about Argen's quality. I use them exclusively for models and dpm castings and a little slm for certain clients and I have been shocked with how consistent and good the quality is

What problems did you have?
I agree

C

charles007

Reaction score
Sent back 1 fcz yesterday, crown was large, :rolleyes: and a 3 unit anterior facial cutback bridge that broke in half before glazing.
This was my 1st ever zirconia bridge to break in my hands, and it was Argens Anterior zir.
Yet to have a single unit zirconia crown to break before or after glazing, and I have used a lot
of so called Anterior zirconia..
This year I've sent back a number of DPM single unit crowns to Argen and a few zirconia crowns, expansion problems on the DPM,
and occasional short margins.
Last year I didn't have problems with Argen, Bego, or other milling labs like I'm having with Argen.
Only problem I've had this year with other milling labs is the shade being off sometimes..
Todays gold crowns from Argen fit great......... but I do worry every time I open up a box from Argen....

user name

user name

Reaction score
Nicest looking Zr...

Compared to when I was out sourcing, Ive loved Jensens XT, not quite so much Imagine. I like the trans, but struggle a bit with color/low value. Ive played a bit with Sagemax NexxZr Plus and Im liking it. How does Argen Z Esthetic compare? Any others that are full arch worthy (strong) but still sexy?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Like you Bob Jensens XT its my go to zirconia and most dependable zirconia. In the right hands it looks very nice and comparable to many anterior zirs when you
consider all the traits of zirconia...
Several dental assistants told me my zirconia looks better than typical pfms.
Argens Z Anterior is nice, but it comes with a what's in the box at this time....:)
Don't know another lab milling Argens Z Anterior..

I lean towards using XT on most fcz and using thin facial cutbacks to achieve higher esthetics using XT or Imagine, depending on stump shade.
Most of my anteriors crowns and bridges are designed with zirconia protected incisal edges with facially layered porcelain. Multi unit fcz anteriors still look great in
Jensens XT with a little staining with InSyn Stains.

In my opinion a thin layer of facially veneered porcelain goes a long way in reproducing more accurate shades.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Nicest looking Zr...

Compared to when I was out sourcing, Ive loved Jensens XT, not quite so much Imagine. I like the trans, but struggle a bit with color/low value. Ive played a bit with Sagemax NexxZr Plus and Im liking it. How does Argen Z Esthetic compare? Any others that are full arch worthy (strong) but still sexy?
got your crown bud, looks pretty snazzy! well done.
ill mill a few for you of vericore and shoot them your way too.

user name

user name

Reaction score
got your crown bud, looks pretty snazzy! well done.
ill mill a few for you of vericore and shoot them your way too.
I wasn't super thrilled with it. New sinter oven and playing with colors has things up in the air the last couple weeks. Im ready to be dialed in and make some money; no more milling multiples for experiments.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I wasn't super thrilled with it. New sinter oven and playing with colors has things up in the air the last couple weeks. Im ready to be dialed in and make some money; no more milling multiples for experiments.

Bob, rename your zirconia to BetaMax T until you figure out the temps in your new oven.... Laugh
Maybe a few members will understand the new name...... ;)

user name

user name

Reaction score
On the topic of esthetics, I just had a Dr ask about my FCZ. He wanted to know what I was using, being that they are looking good and now wants to use them in every indication. I don't think theyre there yet, and it wasn't a super trans version. He mentioned that he had tried some Verotek Estheic; I did a quick search and cant find who makes it. He wasn't asking me for it, just that he had tried it.

Anyone familiar with it?