Antagonist BITE - 3Shape

M

marnero

Reaction score
I´m having some trouble when scanning antagonist BITES on our 3Shape.

We usually make a bite out of lab putty(pink, not sure about the manufacturer),and I really don´t think the result is good enough. The putty material flexes, and it´s hard to get a consistent bite through the putty.

What kind of material do you use to make scannable bites? Any special techniques? How can I get a reliable antagonist scan out of a bite?

Appreciate any ideas/experiences, thanks

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
I like Vita's Accuscan putty. scans well in every scanner I've used, including 3shape. I make sure I wrap around my prep side pretty well so it hangs on and doesn't pop up and trim away everything else I don't need.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Is the problem getting a quality bite or scanning it.
We have been using SilTec from Ivoclar and spraying or powdering it. In addition if your working model has a thick base the scanner may have trouble getting into the depths of the bite. You may want to trim the bite so you have about only 3mm of the incisal edge of the opposing.

M

marnero

Reaction score
The problem is getting a good and even bite, not to get a good scan out of it.
The problem lies in the material we use, it is simply to thich I think. We use a lot of it, so it would be a bonus if it was quite cheap. Our main goal is to get a quality bite out of a "cheap" material? Is this even possible(you get what you pay for??)?

And I dont think adjusting the bite in the software works very well either.

Will check out both Accuscan and SilTec, thanks

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Tried the antagonist model rather than the antagonist bite option? Or are your articulators too big?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
futar D works for me, as do pretty well all the futar derivatives. siltek works good too

M

marnero

Reaction score
JayH: Yes, I also use the antagonist model option. It´ s more time consuming than scanning with a bite, thats the only reason. Now I´m mostly scanning model antagonists because the bite option is not accurate enough with our current material. I´m searching for a material that will give the quality/alignment of a model scan, but with the total scan time of using a bite.

I will look at futar scan as well.

Really appreciate all your inputs.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have posted this 10x, but here goes again.

My favorite for scanning negative of opposing is to use very small piece of Yellow or Green Clay for kids. We only cover the prep, not the whole model.

Then, we lay down some of the thinnest cheapest plastic, like from trash can liner, and close articulator and even work a little into excursive. You can see f you are cloed or not beauseyou di not cover the adjacent teeth

open and remove plastic fast and scan.

You do not want a material that bounces with "memory", obviously.

We do not use Sculpy or FIMO for this. They bounce. Regular cheap modeling clay is good and lasts forever.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
trash can liner keeps it from sticking to the clay? I still prefer the accuracy of a scanned model but it is much more time consuming. I bet the issues I was having was the material snapping back a little. Causing an incorrect occlusion. I always ended up with a high occlusion using the putty method. I will try some clay.

Top Bottom