Advice:Where to stay in cologne

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
Dear Friends

Any advice on preparing for a 5 day visit to cologne Germany for IDS....where to stay etc etc.

Why are hotels so expensive compared to USA. Last year at LMT, I paid around $200 per day in Chicago and it was on the pricey side.... Here at cologne nothing less than 400 euros(487 US dollars) per day.

How can I get most out of the five day marathon.

Any quick places to visit?

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
One thing I do when visiting a place for several days is rent a house or apartment. In my experience it is always cheaper than a stay at a hotel.

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
Who is going to IDS 2015.

Do u need a visa or u can just show your American passport to enter Germany.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
No visa for American passport holders entering the E.U.

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
LMT Chicago or IDS guys or both.

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
^:eek:Nice! you guys charging to much over there in WA!

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
seriously...cheapest place within 50km of cologne. Im not sure why..maybe the photos were taken 30 years ago.

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
Who is going to IDS .....I am sure some people are going. It will be nice to meet fellow DLN members in person in cologne.

R

Radu

Reaction score
We booked a hotel in Bonn and we rent a car. 10 minutes to the IDS location. Airport is the same for Bonn as for Koln.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
If you're on a tight budget you can try a gasthaus (guest houses). Family owned, with rooms for rent, some may include a meal or two.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If you're on a tight budget you can try a gasthaus (guest houses). Family owned, with rooms for rent, some may include a meal or two.

someone's been watching the Playboy Channel again Knuddel

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
I really appreciate your helpful responses.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
At this point, anywhere you can get a room. There are about 120K people attend and not nearly that many rooms.

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
Why are hotels so expensive compared to USA. Last year at LMT, I paid around $200 per day in Chicago and it was on the pricey side.... Here at cologne nothing less than 400 euros(487 US dollars) per day.

It's normally not this expensive in Cologne but rooms for IDS books out really early and people book the same hotel year after year e.g. book for the next IDS whilst staying at the hotel.
As others have mentioned, try to look outside Cologne, both Bonn and Dusseldorf has excellent railway connections. If you find a train connection to Koln-Messe (check www.db.de) you can walk straight from the train to the exhibition.
Remember it's cold this time of the year (think Chicago during LMT) so rug up :)

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
They have a great train system so use them to stay away from the crowds. Find a small family owned hotel in a small town. Then you can meet the real Germans and take in the beauty of the country every morning and eat with the locals at night.

Let a travel agent do the looking for you.

L

lucky54

Reaction score
When and where we meet at the IDS any suggestions.

Top Bottom