Advice for a friend

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
I am a fixed tech, so my advice was limited for a friend whose son went to a local Aspen Dental and had his upper teeth removed and was then fitted with a denture. At this point, he is still healing but has some concerns about his denture: They both feel as though the teeth are too large aesthetically, the overbite is exaggerated, the occlusion is weak, and the lip contour is exaggerated.

I wish they had approached me earlier when I feel my advice could have been more helpful. He wanted to go there because of low income and anonymity in a small town.

Can anyone offer advice on what to say to the dentist at the follow-up? Is he stuck with a lousy denture?

Thanks,
Risa

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Do your friend a favor and do it yourself, off the record.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Your friend should ask to see the dentist for a follow up appointment and simply explain the issues. You can likely help with with diagnosing the problems. The patient should ask to have it fixed or remade. If the doc doesn't do it ask for a full refund. If the doc does not agree to fix or refund your friend should tell the dentist he will bash him on the web. Write a bunch of honest and poor reviews about the dentist and the office.
I think Aspen will fix it. They make a denture for very short money. Generally have low wage denture techs on staff producing huge quantities of dentures with bottom of the barrel materials.

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have since learned that they used the smallest teeth they carry - even though those teeth are substantially larger than his natural teeth.

2thm8ker: Do you mean make the denture myself? ...........I am not a removable tech by trade and while I might be able to go by the book, I don't have any of the necessary equipment. Or do you mean speak to the dentist myself?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have since learned that they used the smallest teeth they carry - even though those teeth are substantially larger than his natural teeth.

2thm8ker: Do you mean make the denture myself? ...........I am not a removable tech by trade and while I might be able to go by the book, I don't have any of the necessary equipment. Or do you mean speak to the dentist myself?

Do the set up yourself and have a friend in the removable world process.

Pat_L

Pat_L

Reaction score
Usually the immediate denture is the ugliest thing available. Unless you are dealing with an ideal situation, the teeth are not ground enough and therefore set off the ridge, causing the overbite and "toothy" look. Some techs try to grind the teeth to where they should be, ending up in a denture with "small" teeth on it. Rarely we get a case that we get a good result with enough room to make a good denture. Most places make allowances for this and will do a new denture for a reduced price. Most times, technicians want a chance to redeem themselves and show what a nice job they can do once the ridge heals and the teeth can be placed properly. When a patient gradually wears down their teeth to the point where extraction is the only option, they can rarely tolerate the new denture opening them up to where they were. Usually it's done in stages, gradually opening the bite.