911 NEED HELP FROM DENTISTS AND TECHNICIANS

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
On February 7, 2014, Marvin Janes, CDT, lost his dental lab, his family’s home, all the contents within each, and his automobiles to the hand of an arsonist. Fortunately, no one was injured in the darkness of their early morning escape.

Marvin Janes, a Charter Member of OPT-In Dental Laboratory Cooperative with over two decades of removable dentures experience, is the owner of what has been Janes Denture Services, Summersville, KY. Due to the arson, Marvin lost all his laboratory equipment and supplies, patient cases that were in process, and all his family’s personal belongings.

The OPT-In Dental Laboratory Cooperative, in cooperation with the National Association of Dental Laboratories (NADL)),has established the Marvin Janes Family Fund so that interested parties will be able to make tax deductible donations. All proceeds will go directly to the Janes Family to help offset their losses and their living expenses while rebuilding their home and business.

As the only two parties that directly provide care for patients, this is a time for both dentists and technicians to come together to help one of their own. Donations can be made through the NADL website, http://www.dentallabfoundation.org/donate-online.cfm, by selecting the Marvin Janes Family from the drop down menu.

We urge all technicians and dentists to please join the members of OPT-In, the NADL, and concerned manufacturers, distributors, and publishers of our great industry, in helping a family in need.

ImageProxy.mvc

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
This is a tragedy that can happen, from many methods. Any one thinking of how this could effect them should contact their business insurance and have a chat about whether they are prepared and what coverage they might have. I have a friend who was forced to obtain insurance when he financed some equipment, in Houston in 1999 a little hurricane came by and would have closed him if not for that insurance.
Many of us have gone without business insurance, but hurricanes, fire, tornadoes, Ice storms, flooding (lots of snow goes somewhere this year),even some patient thinking sue sue sue, can cause insurance needs today. I don't sell insurance but have used their experience a few times.
I have business coverage for Lab space, contents, Equipment, Supplies, & work in production, missed income up to 1 year, temporary rent needs up to 1 year, theft, law suites, and shipping if I need to send equipment for repair.
Your homeowners if you work out of your own house does not cover business, my agent informed me, in 1996 when lightening hit and I had to replace lots of equipment. If something in the lab caused house damage your homeowners might have an out (to not pay for damages).
Just my two cents worth, FWIW.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Marvin is a well known tech in our area, only 50 miles or so from us. It's terrible to think of something like this happening. You are correct AJ, use times like this to help someone in need, then make sure you are prepared if it was to happen to you.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I agree this is horrible, the world is really getting uglier and uglier to me.

Running a lab in the house or on the home property has its own set of restrictions and issues as it relates to insurance. I sure hope he was insured as a home business and his carrier knew.

I hate insurance premiums but they are a necessity, lets hope his settlement check comes quickly with no restrictions/complications.

Top Bottom