3Shape Dental System 2023

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I received this in my email.

Upgrade to Dental System 2023
Your dental CAD software just got better. Dental System 2023 comes with Model Builder Express (letting you generate a fully AI-guided model),increased speed and stability, and new articulator integrations. Ask your reseller to upgrade you now!

Is it worth upgrading to? I'm running 2021 without any problems. Bigger crown and bridge cases work without any issues. I just don't want to regret it, without having to enable 2021 in the order form.

Does 2023 need a more current generation of cpu with better speed to run properly?
my specs.jpg

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
From what I have seen with the Ai integration its helpful in a lot of aspects but usually comes with an extra charge if you use the service. Ai segmentation for tooth setups ended up cost a fee for every model you exported.

My experience with 3Shape so far is if its currently working don't change, and then test out the new version on a secondary PC (Network the dongle). Then at least you know before make a change since its a pain to flip flop otherwise.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good advice, as far as if it's not broke, don't fix it. I'm 2 years behind, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something that was "game-changing"..lol :) Didn't realize the AI was a service, so thank you for that as well, LuthorCorp :)

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Good advice, as far as if it's not broke, don't fix it. I'm 2 years behind, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something that was "game-changing"..lol :) Didn't realize the AI was a service, so thank you for that as well, LuthorCorp :)
My pleasure, that was specifically for the Aligner module so I am not 100% if its the same setup for the model but thats where the test machine is nice to test and try the new features before revamping you database.

I am in the same boat using a year old version for Appliance Designer and Ortho analyzer because we found a lot of small issues in new launches, now we wait and test them on other PC before we do anything haha.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
4790? that's 10 generations old... you really should upgrade.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
so my reseller is telling me that 2023 has issues with implants, with DMEs needing to be updated, especially from Straumann and Nobel. Does anyone have any issues with it?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
so my reseller is telling me that 2023 has issues with implants, with DMEs needing to be updated, especially from Straumann and Nobel. Does anyone have any issues with it?
Straumann should be fine, it is mainly Nobel that is the last to join on accepting cases. I would call nobel and confirm they are excepting cases before updating to any version of 3Shape, even 0.1 to0.2 versions, Nobel is lame like that!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Straumann should be fine, it is mainly Nobel that is the last to join on accepting cases. I would call nobel and confirm they are excepting cases before updating to any version of 3Shape, even 0.1 to0.2 versions, Nobel is lame like that!
We are running 2021 still. In your opinion, is 2023 a big upgrade over 2021?

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
good to know. thanks.

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
Changes are very very often in software internals. There might be couple things what user/designer needs to note. For example 2022 versions of splint studio changed how splint is generated (from outline) resulting a "hmm.... i have to remember that when drawing an outline to avoid extra tightness" type of thing. I havent tested 2023 myself, but i think changes for user/designer point of view are pretty much like this.

So, when considering updating, do not think merely software features.

let me give example: many lab scanners has reached EOL in 2022 and some in 2023. Most people think scanner EOL as "no repair service, no helpdesk" but in it-industry it also generally means dropping hardware support from software (now, i dont know if this is 3shape policy, but in generally these things happen). Thus, if you have scanner that has reached EOL in 2022 it might not work in 2023 versions - its for one to find out, asking from support or just testing.

As of october 2025 Win 10 reaches its EOL and there will be on security updates on it after that: any sensible person will update to Windows 11, which effectively means updating 3shape at least to 2022 versions (2021 is not supported in Win11).

If one is happy running 2021 versions of 3shape software and lbscanner is something like D-series, then there is (for me at least) absolutely no reason to consider updating 3shape and risking "production environment". i think you can easily defer 3shape updates for year (or two) and then consider upgrading workstation (yes, your current computer is getting old).. and when getting new rig with Win11, update 3shape.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you @Jussi Roivanen for your helpful post. After reading some of the replies, including yours, I think this is where I'm at and going to stay for the time being, as I have a D1000.

"If one is happy running 2021 versions of 3shape software and lbscanner is something like D-series, then there is (for me at least) absolutely no reason to consider updating 3shape and risking "production environment". i think you can easily defer 3shape updates for year (or two) and then consider upgrading workstation (yes, your current computer is getting old).. and when getting new rig with Win11, update 3shape".

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Keep’ er goin’
Silent Film Vintage GIF

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I’m looking at a new desktop computer as well.
Right after I pay off the fridge and washing machine that died this weekend.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I’m looking at a new desktop computer as well.
Right after I pay off the fridge and washing machine that died this weekend.
Isn't that how these things go, in pairs or triplets? Even with work, I'll go 2-3 months without a partial case, then I'll get 3-4 in a week. Same thing with implant cases. It's like all of my accounts call each other and say, "It's time to hit Scott with these cases...let's get em" lol :)

I think the appliances do the same thing, they "talk" to each other through the electrical lines and say, "it's time".

Last edited:
Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Isn't that how these things go, in pairs or triplets? Even with work, I'll go 2-3 months without a partial case, then I'll get 3-4 in a week. Same thing with implant cases. It's like all of my accounts call each other and say, "It's time to hit Scott with these cases...let's get em" lol :)

I think the appliances do the same thing, they "talk" to each other through the electrical lines and say, "it's time".
Yup, the ice maker died in our fridge the other day, and the dishwasher decides to leak once every 4-5 weeks. The dishwasher is the strange one, why doesn't it leak all of the time.Hmmmm2Dontknow Both appliances are only 5 years old!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yup, the ice maker died in our fridge the other day, and the dishwasher decides to leak once every 4-5 weeks. The dishwasher is the strange one, why doesn't it leak all of the time.Hmmmm2Dontknow Both appliances are only 5 years old!
Get the extended warranty they said…
Naw , appliances last forever

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
They used to last "forever" before everything went plastic. I had an old dehumidifier that lasted about 10 years before it died, built like a little tank The next one lasted 2 years. Something about the non-Freon refrigerants that aren't as effective? My latest one was bought from a family-owned appliance store, a little more expensive than the Home Depot version, but it's going on 3 years now.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I find that now whenever you go out of your way to get the extended warranty you never end up using it but when you don't get it as soon as the manufacturing warranty ends it breaks. Its a vicious cycle.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
They came with the house we bought a few months ago. Both of the previous owners left detailed records of everything that's ever been put in the house and when, from the day it was built. That's how I know they're only 5 yrs old. From what I've been reading Samsung ice makers are made to fail. Grrrrrrr!!!!

Top Bottom