3i Zirc abutments breaking

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hey out there, did anybody else get their letter from 3i about zirc abutments? They say if they're not seated, don't, and send it back for a "free" titanium nitride treated abutment. The abutments that are seated they want the dr to "check" at every visit. Ohhh lovely, I can really see the gp taking the time to do that.

We're sending a copy of the letter to every dr we sent a case to with one of these. How are y'all handling it? Really going to hurt if the docs want us to make a titanium/pfm to replace these, as we all know, even if they prescribe it, it's our fault.

The joys of outsourcing, this is why we refuse to get involved in it unless we are pushed kicking and screaming.

rgggrrgggrrrgggrrrrgggrrrrrrrgggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuhhhh

doug

doug

Reaction score
If you read the letter, it indicates that it is a voluntary recall. I spoke with Biomet today and had several questions for them, one being what type of breakage have they had. The woman I spoke with said that a majority of the breakage has been: in the lab while processing, and when the doc is seating the abutment and tightening the screw. That to me means that there are heavy-handed techs wrestling the abutments and doing adjustments inappropriately. It also means that the docs are not using proper care when tightening the screw, ie, they do not support the wrench and it tips and braces against the abutment and causes a fracture. I told my docs and they were all up for the challenge of waiting it out. BTW, Biomet will not pay for a new crown so if they go ahead on your recommendation you better be ready with a good reason why you won't give them a free crown. As a side note, one of the cases on the list was seated 2 1/2 years ago and today the doc admitted that he inadvertantly used the lab screws for the final seat...Oops!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug,
That's about what I was expecting them to say, and hoping was the case. I hadn'thad time to call and chat with them regarding their initiative. I am gratefull they are being semi-proactive instead of the other options that seem to be used more frequently.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
heard the same thing about most zr abutments from more then a few pros....BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!noflex. just snap.nature of the beast. FATIGUE FAILURES INCOMING

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I just got the letter on friday. Asking me to send back the ZR abutments I did years ago.................... seriously? I don't know which doctors I gave them too.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I just got the letter on friday. Asking me to send back the ZR abutments I did years ago.................... seriously? I don't know which doctors I gave them too.

Thats where good GMP's and records come into play. Every abutment that comes to you has a lot number, you should tie it to your patients records in your billing software. A quick lot number search can tell you exactly who is affected.

While I have a beef with 3i I think its pretty amazing they are covering their ass this way with the VOLUNTARY recall. I wonder how much this will save them over the potential lawsuits? Interesting times...

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
heard the same thing about most zr abutments from more then a few pros....BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!noflex. just snap.nature of the beast. FATIGUE FAILURES INCOMING
We have been reading about more of this happening. It's actually discussed in my lectures. You cannot have Ti to ZR, it will more than likely fail. Saw this coming down the pipe. Like you said, no flex, SNAP! It sucks INMHO.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Any zir abutment should have a Ti base period!

doug

doug

Reaction score
Darren, Now we have a new issues to debate. Lately they(manufacturers) have been touting the Ti-base Zirconia abutments. You say that's a problem. Please continue this in a new thread, Travis.

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
Darren, Now we have a new issues to debate. Lately they(manufacturers) have been touting the Ti-base Zirconia abutments. You say that's a problem. Please continue this in a new thread, Travis.
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/broken-zirconia-abutment.15516/#post-119598
Case in point, I don't believe this one has a Ti base, doesn't look so. If this entire abutment is ZR with no Ti base, then you will more than likely have a failure at the ZR and Ti interface. Fully suggest Ti to Ti interface. If the Ti base is BONDED not CEMENTED to either ZR or e.Max, less likely to fail and fully retrievable if the custom abutment fails.

Sorry Travis, I try not to get to long winded here, we've got enough of that most days with some of our members.;)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I've had enough failures that I quit doing Zir abutments a couple of years ago.
I'm old school again, UCLA then opaque.

Maybe the failures were mine or the Drs fault maybe just the nature of the beast but too technique sensitive for me to depend on.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
funny..i said this about zr abutments a year ago and was laughed at....zr is a bad material. fczr will wear its way out of the plane of occlusion and be a major problem in years to come. go ahead, ignore my warning and laugh.....

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/broken-zirconia-abutment.15516/#post-119598
Case in point, I don't believe this one has a Ti base, doesn't look so. If this entire abutment is ZR with no Ti base, then you will more than likely have a fai ure at the ZR and Ti interface. Fully suggest Ti to Ti interface. If the Ti base is BONDED not CEMENTED to either ZR or e.Max, less likely to fail and fully retrievable if the custom abutment fails.

Sorry Travis, I try not to get to long winded here, we've got enough of that most days with some of our members.;)
not possible to bond to zr.
Case in point, I don't believe this one has a Ti base, doesn't look so. If this entire abutment is ZR with no Ti base, then you will more than likely have a failure at the ZR and Ti interface. Fully suggest Ti to Ti interface. If the Ti base is BONDED not CEMENTED to either ZR or e.Max, less likely to fail and fully retrievable if the custom abutment fails.

it is IMPOSSIBLE to bond to zr. thats why etching it is pointless.mechanical retention only. maybe if we slow cool them....LMAO! HOWEVER,wiyh the use of monobond plus there is a chemical exchange between emax and ti.emax can be chemically bonded to ti. ivoclar provided me with the molecular exchange diagram. asked them for the same for zr. got nothing...

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
Using Panavia, not fired to Ti.
e4yju3uv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Top Bottom