3D Printer Question

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
How accurate does a printer need to be in order to be able to make acrylic devices from its models?

All acrylic Flippers/partials, bite guards, maybe full denture? Making it directly on the model or duplicating the model with stone.

When I say how accurate I guess I'm looking for a number 30um, 50um, 100um???

I figure acrylic devices will have a higher "forgiveness" factor then say a cast framework or obviously crown and bridge.

Just thinking thru some ideas, appreciate any feedback anyone can give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
there are 4 things you need to consider.

1. material availability. not many printers print denture acrylic or compatible plastics. youre basically right now only looking at 2 printers, the Bego Varseo and the 260vs.

2. resolution. this is very important and often overlooked. your build plate is only going to be built like the resolution of a printed piece of paper. print any image at 600 DPI and then print the same mage at 1200 DPI. youll notice much smoother lines, sharper finish. still crap but sharper. this DPI is a big deal, because your built plate has a DPI. you can design products within 20um sure but the printer might not actually be able to resolve its features. this is the main reason people think 3d printing 'isn't there yet' for dental, because they look at the very visible relief lines on a model and proclaim "this must be how all the prints look, which means theyre terrible and i cant trust it" (obviously they are mistaken)

3. speed. it super important man. if you crank up the printer to the max quality, how slowly do you get your prints? UHD mode on any printer makes printing reallly slow. it will be important to know how long youll be waiting.

4. if all the above criteria are met or satisfactory, you are now permitted to evaluate its layer thicknesses. this number is usually the one the throw at you in the brochure when they say "this thing is 30um accurate" and then hope you dont read the fine print that says while yes the layers can be 30um, actually printing with that will be long, and prone to error, because the slicing algorithm has problems identifying flat edges (important when you want to add an articulator interface). call me cynical but having dealt with this problem personally i can tell you im not overly fond on answering questions like this. i have to explain an abstract concept and can;t really use pictures to help aid communication.

suffice it to say dont fall for the lies in the brochure. ever. when you buy a printer, a microwave, a house, or a vacation.

and im rambling.

you dont need more than 50um 'accuracy' (i roll my eyes every time i write that word) if you find a magical printer that prints denture material.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think he just wants models so he can process conventionally.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Not a ton of info here, but I have been making thermoformed clear aligners from printed models and a few arch expanders the same way. Perfect fits.
I also have had base plates and makeshift partials and dentures printed for use in CBCT scans.
DSC_0464.JPG

Printed on 3d systems 3500.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Luke, though as RKM posted below yours I'm only looking to be able to print models well enough to process directly on or duplicate in stone and process conventionally. Still thanks for the post very informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jinya

Reaction score
Not a ton of info here, but I have been making thermoformed clear aligners from printed models and a few arch expanders the same way. Perfect fits.
I also have had base plates and makeshift partials and dentures printed for use in CBCT scans.
View attachment 23527

Printed on 3d systems 3500.

That looks amazing!

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
Call Cory at Whip Mix (800-626-5651 x 1437) and let him fill you in on the new Asiga Printer I think that you will also be amazed.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
asiga. now theres a name i havent heard in a long time.

reminiscent of the old envisiontec models. small build plate because the further from center you got, the worse your prints were. or so the story goes.

bulbs almost as expensive as a new machine.

i thought they went out of business long ago.

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
I think that you will find that there have been many good changes. Take another look.

Cory@WhipMix

Cory@WhipMix

Reaction score
asiga. now theres a name i havent heard in a long time.

reminiscent of the old envisiontec models. small build plate because the further from center you got, the worse your prints were. or so the story goes.

bulbs almost as expensive as a new machine.

i thought they went out of business long ago.

When Asiga started out they had a bit of a rough patch, but since then they have improved significantly! Here at Whip Mix, we have been testing DLP 3D printing for a little over two years now, and Asiga takes the cake. The build plates range from 51mmx32mm all the way up to 144x81mm depending on what model you select, and there is no deviation in precision across the build plate. We have printed QC phantoms on the Asiga printers and compared it to our 3D systems MP3600 and they offered higher detail and better accuracy. Besides being highly accurate these printers are completely open and that includes material options. If you ever have any questions or just want to pick my brain, give me a call.

JVitto

JVitto

Reaction score
When Asiga started out they had a bit of a rough patch, but since then they have improved significantly! Here at Whip Mix, we have been testing DLP 3D printing for a little over two years now, and Asiga takes the cake. The build plates range from 51mmx32mm all the way up to 144x81mm depending on what model you select, and there is no deviation in precision across the build plate. We have printed QC phantoms on the Asiga printers and compared it to our 3D systems MP3600 and they offered higher detail and better accuracy. Besides being highly accurate these printers are completely open and that includes material options. If you ever have any questions or just want to pick my brain, give me a call.

Holy cow look at that handsome pic!!! Now what did u do with the real Corey!!!!
All joking aside we have purchased a good bit of equipment from Sharri at whip mix n Corey has come set it all up for us. Tech support is second to NONE here guys... sure a lot of u are more advanced than we are.. but we represent the majority of labs out they're not big family-owned and not really up on all new technology Corey has helped a step-by-step in bringing our lab for the new digital age he has gone way too far and beyond doing things that he did not have to do for us connecting slave computers and just being in our corner while I had to deal with other companies I purchased previous equipment from. The first place I'll go is whip mix n ask And I Have NO Doubt They Will Push Me In The Right Direction Even If It's NOT There Department

Top Bottom