3D Printer Break Down

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Lol oh the joys of having a circuit board go out on the clamp feed and having a hole in the umbilical cord. There really isn't much to these machines, everything is just packed in so damn tight you have to tear everything apart to get to one little thing. Oh and the little 3x3 inch circuit board is $800 the umbilical cord is still being quoted lol thanks to the Jay from CAP he has me back up and running now. All in all it's about a 4k job but hey it's worth every dollar.

ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_IMG_20130409_105720_zps15abf68f.jpg
ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_IMG_20130409_105720_zps15abf68f.jpg

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I paid $800 for an umbillical cord, and that circuit board could have been bought from Paradigm or PCS Engineering for almost nothing Tyler. Used circuit boards are just as good as a new One IMO.

I could have hooked you up for maybe 1/3-1/4 of your $4000 bill. :confused:

As long as you are happy, I guess? LOL

I repair circuit boards all the time. Just go to Radio Shack or order bad componants from ebay.

No??

Can I have your "broken" circuit board?

Last edited:
P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
How did a clamp-feed circuit board break? What were the symptoms?

Do you know what was wrong with it? Got a pic of the bad One?

I have repaired an umbillical as well. Where was it leaking? In the middle, or at One of the ends?

Did the heater wire short-out and melt the Nylon tube in the core?

Can I buy that from you as well? I collect bad parts as a hobby. LOL

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Used Additive Process Machinery - Commonwealth-Trading Company, Inc

This guy is kinda close to you. You should get on the email list for 3dsystems parts.

It is underground world of 3d machines and parts. I know many many more as well.

Sure beats paying retail for parts and service. 3dsystems has rediculous prices for parts.

I almost never buy anything directly from them.

I told this to Bob at CAP last week as well, but I guess you both just like wasting money?

There is no warrenty on most 3dsystem parts, or maybe a month or so? Last summer, I bought a refurbished $4000 Control board that lasted me a few months, then it lost it's brains. Just like the original I had.

I had to buy another One from 3dsystems AGAIN! Third time!! This is the One and only part you cannot repair or get used. It has data on a chip that self-erases if it detects weird things, to prevent people from copying the program data. Sometimes it gets a false trigger and decides to wipe out the memory, and printer will not boot up.

It is just one of those PITA things that I hate. 3dsystems just re-writes the data and then charges customer $4000-$7000 for the control board! AWESOME!

In reality, there was nothing wrong with the board. Kinda a scam IMO.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Sure I will sell you the old umbilical cord for $200.00

Y

Yellowstone

Reaction score
I had to buy another One from 3dsystems AGAIN! Third time!! This is the One and only part you cannot repair or get used. It has data on a chip that self-erases if it detects weird things, to prevent people from copying the program data. Sometimes it gets a false trigger and decides to wipe out the memory, and printer will not boot up.

It is just one of those PITA things that I hate. 3dsystems just re-writes the data and then charges customer $4000-$7000 for the control board! AWESOME!

In reality, there was nothing wrong with the board. Kinda a scam IMO.

Reminds me of the relocation controls on many high end Japanese machine tools. GPS like detection sensors shut down machine if you move it a certain distance. You must reenter a pass code from the manufacturer once you have your machine moved or machine will not work. Mitutoyo caused this when one of there CMM's ended up in a arms factory in Libya and the Japanese government stepped in.

Mazak's policy link:

http://www.mazakusa.com/relocation.asp

Last edited:
ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
"Quote From PM from ***"
"sorry to hear about your printer.

I have no idea what prompted you to go to CAP.

They have the least experience in all of the USA for parts and service.

I think you spent waaaay more than you should have. Why did you do that, I wonder?

$4000 is rediculous! Did you at least get a free blow-job I hope?"

I go to CAP because they can provide great service and are willing to help me out whenever it is needed. I don't care what it cost's it could have cost me 10k and I would have paid it. They might have the least experience in all of the USA but they provide one hell of a service and go beyond their means all the time to help me out. If this is the service they provide with the least experience in the USA I will be more then happy to have them work on my equipment. Just imagine what they will do when they get some experience!

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
"Quote From PM from ***"
"sorry to hear about your printer.

I have no idea what prompted you to go to CAP.

They have the least experience in all of the USA for parts and service.

I think you spent waaaay more than you should have. Why did you do that, I wonder?

$4000 is rediculous! Did you at least get a free blow-job I hope?"

I go to CAP because they can provide great service and are willing to help me out whenever it is needed. I don't care what it cost's it could have cost me 10k and I would have paid it. They might have the least experience in all of the USA but they provide one hell of a service and go beyond their means all the time to help me out. If this is the service they provide with the least experience in the USA I will be more then happy to have them work on my equipment. Just imagine what they will do when they get some experience!

Not cool to post a PM in public.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Not cool to post a PM in public.

It's not cool to bully people every minute of the day either. Frankly I am sick and tired of being harassed, and I know I am not the only one.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Bob

Last edited:
ProJetter

ProJetter

Reaction score
The original broken part was that little PCB equipped with optical sensors (clamp open / closed etc.)?? :) I saw that price (800 USD) about a year ago when i was facing exactly the same problem!
Normally only the optical sensors to get broken while the clamp-feed is going to get "untight" sometimes. Pricing for those sensors is about 3-5 USD and you can repair it 4 yourself.