Press Pack

N

nickate

Reaction score
Sounds to me you are saying that we have to buy the most expensive option when the lesser expensive works just as well.The $1000 denture curing tank has the higher price and is labeled dental, but the $35 slow cooker that has a temp gauge and is the same exact thing/ does the same exact thing makes a person unskilled and uneducated? Sounds more like the market place in action to me.

Only gonna say this once.
One word.
Controls.
The "dental" labeled units have the correct rate of time vs. temp rise to cure acrylic.
The "dental" labeled units keep the high vs. low temp on-off swing to 1-3 degrees to cure acrylic. (163-165degf)
That's what they're made to do.
Cure poly methyl methacrylate.

Turkey roasters???? ROAST TURKEYS

To some hot water is hot water so have at it..... I am extremely frugal myself .... but not when it comes to my time, saving money and a top shelf product... the same... every time.... I use a press with a gauge and a proper curing unit with the correct parameters for curing acrylic. I cannot/ will never win this debate with y'all but the great thing is we're all here getting work done.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Only gonna say this once.
One word.
Controls.
The "dental" labeled units have the correct rate of time vs. temp rise to cure acrylic.
The "dental" labeled units keep the high vs. low temp on-off swing to 1-3 degrees to cure acrylic. (163-165degf)
That's what they're made to do.
Cure poly methyl methacrylate.

Turkey roasters???? ROAST TURKEYS

To some hot water is hot water so have at it..... I am extremely frugal myself .... but not when it comes to my time, saving money and a top shelf product... the same... every time.... I use a press with a gauge and a proper curing unit with the correct parameters for curing acrylic. I cannot/ will never win this debate with y'all but the great thing is we're all here getting work done.

You won't get an argument from me, I leave each to their own. I may have made a cool press out of a big boy/welded on car jack (with gauge). Btw don't ever tell the welder, you could sell these, the welding price goes up ;-p Anyway, I bought an expensive press with a French name that leaks oil, can't say it's much better than the one I made that got stolen. I also have an expensive denture curing pot out in storage if you want to buy it, but prefer my state of the art slow cooker that indeed does have controls. It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

S

Stella02

Reaction score
Hey I'm just branching out on my own, although I agree completely you should have the correct equipment for what you are doing if I can save some big $$$ by buying used or even not dental related equipment that makes sense to me.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I bought a hydraulic press used and for my curing tank will use one from ace hardware that I saw somebody mentioned in here (thanks again whoever it was!)

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
There’s no substitute for knowledge/education. I have a big boy mounted next to my Coe-Bilt. Both have been used to pack 1000s of units each. Both create the same product when operated by the same hands. The Coe is faster and easier on the body.

Porosity and improperly cured acrylic in my experience is almost never a pressure issue. If you can’t understand how to turn a press I’m pretty sure your not gonna understand the rest of the process to trial packing. It’s not a equipment issues it’s a knowledge issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
My grandmother got me working in the lab 16 years ago, she did the flasking, boilout, packing, for a lab that done 12-16 units a day everyday for years. 10s of thousands of units over her years. She is now in her 70s and works for me and we are doing 12-16 units a day. She mainly waxes but occasionally if needed she goes in the plaster room and flask, boilout, and packs. And I’ll catch her using the big boy instead of the coe-bilt sitting next to it. Putting them In the compress and curing tank is no problem for her either. Now I’ll admit my grandmother is no average granny but just thought I’d share this since it pertain to the topic of discussion...

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
My grandmother got me working in the lab 16 years ago, she did the flasking, boilout, packing, for a lab that done 12-16 units a day everyday for years. 10s of thousands of units over her years. She is now in her 70s and works for me and we are doing 12-16 units a day. She mainly waxes but occasionally if needed she goes in the plaster room and flask, boilout, and packs. And I’ll catch her using the big boy instead of the coe-bilt sitting next to it. Putting them In the compress and curing tank is no problem for her either. Now I’ll admit my grandmother is no average granny but just thought I’d share this since it pertain to the topic of discussion...

I'll be 60 this year. Give me a manual press any day.
The thing I don't like about hydraulic or pneumatic is you can't slow most of them down.
Especially first trial pack

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
The thing I don't like about hydraulic or pneumatic is you can't slow most of them down.

Very true, every framework case gets pressed in the big boy for that very reason. [emoji106]

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Very true, every framework case gets pressed in the big boy for that very reason. [emoji106]

Not to wax poetic,
But you have to give the dough
Some time to flow...

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

I use a hydrolic press and you can pack as slowly or quickly as you want. My first pack I use a light touch, gauge never comes out of the yellow stage add a little acrylic here and there and progressively add a little more pressure on each pack until I'm happy with pack and final at proper pressure . All this and I'll be 58 this year :p

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I use a hydrolic press and you can pack as slowly or quickly as you want. My first pack I use a light touch, gauge never comes out of the yellow stage add a little acrylic here and there and progressively add a little more pressure on each pack until I'm happy with pack and final at proper pressure . All this and I'll be 58 this year :p
I use a hydrolic press for the same reasons. I'm right in between you and Ken, I'll be 59 this year. :D

N

nickate

Reaction score

I have more than a few of these... You see the black knobs at the top? Ya turn it when ya want more pressure.... Just like a big boy. The newer models that are
s-l300.jpg
rectangular do not allow for slow squeeze without internal modification. Why work hard when you can work smart?

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I have more than a few of these... You see the black knobs at the top? Ya turn it when ya want more pressure.... Just like a big boy. The newer models that are
s-l300.jpg
rectangular do not allow for slow squeeze without internal modification. Why work hard when you can work smart?

Sad world we live in these days, when turning a big boy press is considered working hard... [emoji29]

N

nickate

Reaction score
Sad world we live in these days, when turning a big boy press is considered working hard... [emoji29]

Don't get me going here James.... Not everybody has the physical strength to turn a Big Boy.... Here are my presses. The three head I use daily and the rest I have been hoarding but have decided to let go. 0.jpg 0.jpg

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Don't get me going here James.... Not everybody has the physical strength to turn a Big Boy.... Here are my presses. The three head I use daily and the rest I have been hoarding but have decided to let go. View attachment 30186 View attachment 30187

Hehe, just messing with you nickate just saying ain’t nothing we do in the dental field exactly “hard work” good luck with your sale...

N

nickate

Reaction score
Just threw the presses, some pour denture flasks, sprue makers and reline jigs on ebay. Thanks for the motivation....

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I agree fully that turning a big boy shouldn't need a big boy, but some people do have neuro-muscular disorders that make it difficult, or at least decidedly inconvenient. Not suggesting anything here, just makin' a comment.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I agree fully that turning a big boy shouldn't need a big boy, but some people do have neuro-muscular disorders that make it difficult, or at least decidedly inconvenient. Not suggesting anything here, just makin' a comment.

Obviously there are lots of people with lots of different disorders that would make turning a big boy press difficult or impossible I don’t think anyone is arguing that. I think that’s pretty well common sense to everyone.

The comment about work smart not hard by nickate is the one I was replying to and I don’t believe he was commenting about helping people with disabilities either. I guess I should of said that for a healthy person turning a big boy press is not “hard work” though sadly in this society many think it is...

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I haven't used a big boy press since I was a dental assistant, lol. That should fuel the flames ;-p

Top Bottom