AI in the dental world

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
he doesn't play both sides enough.

did you forget that during the world cup Budweiser forced FIFA and Qatar to agree to sell beer in the stadium, and then during the very first game Qatar pushed back and banned sales of all liquids, paid the fine to FIFA and nobody was upset?

then when Qatar banned rainbows?

is it any wonder then that Budweiser would actually support LGBTQ+ in a more direct way after that?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Unless we're working with the more esthetically minded Dr's who know the difference, especially with layered anteriors, bridges and implant cases. At least that's my hope.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Unless we're working with the more esthetically minded Dr's who know the difference, especially with layered anteriors, bridges and implant cases. At least that's my hope.

you be the judge

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

you be the judge

The leftover cement is the Dr's fault.

But in my case, I am using a poor man's version of AI, called CAD/CAM, in which I do get better margins.
My concern is with the I/O scans we, I, get where it can be a partial guess of where the true margins are, then getting a printed Mattel toy plastic model (or iTero milled) and the margins "are close enough" from the Dr's perspective especially when it has to do with time and convenience (even for the patient) and cost saving of sending a file to Timbuck II for a $85.00? dollar crown for some D's.

Granted, some of the Dr's impressions are questionable, to say the least, so that can also occur with a I/O scan, but I'm still convinced a good impression will have better sharper margin detail than I/O scan. I just don't see the accuracy in some of the I/O margin marking I get from some Dr's (who I know could get good impressions) even if they use retraction cord. These are iTero and Primescan accounts.

N

NoName

Reaction score
I'm a dental tech for over 10 years and speaking about prices all I can say is that we (well not really we, but more like generations before most of us became techs) f***ed ourselves, because right now we are probably in the worst situation since before the implants came around, because many of us opened new labs and just to enter the market and compete with others - we lowered the prices for new clients..and then other new techs did the same and so on, so now it's not good..to earn more money people usually have to increase the number of units they make, or negotiate bigger percentage with the lab owner, or invest in new technology which would help make more units.. so now we have new technology to increase unit number, but that also lowers the need for new dental technicians, which is fine, nobody has to loose their job, education system takes care of that by lowering the acceptance number..so like I said - we have new toys to make our daily work easier (sometimes harder, but whatever..),but since most labs have good toys and sell units cheaper, because it's easier and some would argue better to make let's say zirconia - we just lost our advantage of adding new technology to make more units, because now we make more units, but sell it cheaper and we can't negotiate bigger percentage, because the demand of techs is already not too big and we can't really invest in new technology, because as far as I know there isn't anything that would save the situation, I mean there isn't anything new that would be so significant that would restart the whole dental industry..some might say that 3d printers might be this new thing after like 3-5 years when it's better, but I doubt it..also it's not really new, our field had few big moments in our history, I only know about the times when implants came around, it was big because it was new and harder for techs (now I'd argue it's easier..) to do their job, therefore it cost more, also I remember when cam cam came around - it was also a big thing, because now we were introduced to a new material..so now in 2023 we don't really have anything as big as those other things..maybe in the future the AI might be used as like doctors AI assistant, it might be able to scan and analyze the situation and suggest the best action to take accordingly..and then send that data to the lab and it would save us some time and maybe in the lab we'd have AI which would analyze the given data and pick colors or things like that, maybe suggest a map for ceramist, or something like that..but anyway it still would not be as relevant as bigger new things we already had in our past..there you go, that's my rant, I'm not very optimistic about the future of our field

CCM

CCM

Reaction score
I can see AI designing a mophorlogical and functional restoration but in therms of aesthetics not so much... it will help us but not replace us for now. Ad we stll have to do the finishing manually.
By the way here is an image of a "beautifull smile" prompt on AI image generator. :oops:

Attachments

• fotor-ai-20230529222936.jpg
    fotor-ai-20230529222936.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 11
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
You guys don't need to worry about being replaced.
Forrest Gump GIF by GrayDuckDent

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
That's right, as I have said before technicians in china working in buildings by the thousands , pumping out god knows how many crowns a day for a bowl of rice a month hav'nt put me out of work. We are no more under threat from AI than any other white collar job. If you are a grunt in any field your job is a t risk , Lawyer , accountant, bookkeeper , any sort of tech consultant, artist , writer etc etc ... but people still wantto dealwith people. TheAI threat is just another scare campaign the faceless people of the WHO are trying to use to keep the general population frightened and controlled .
Hey , we even survived covid

G

grantoz

Reaction score
we even survived sirona its funny how it sounds a lot like corona I dont know how i missed that one, it all makes sense now

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
That's right, as I have said before technicians in china working in buildings by the thousands , pumping out god knows how many crowns a day for a bowl of rice a month hav'nt put me out of work. We are no more under threat from AI than any other white collar job. If you are a grunt in any field your job is a t risk , Lawyer , accountant, bookkeeper , any sort of tech consultant, artist , writer etc etc ... but people still wantto dealwith people. TheAI threat is just another scare campaign the faceless people of the WHO are trying to use to keep the general population frightened and controlled .
Hey , we even survived covid
Yup, I heard on the news the other day that the WHO is saying the next pandemic will be MUCH worse than covid! How do they know that? Are they already planning it?!?!?!

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Hello everyone, what do you think of the AI in the design of pieces? I believe that in a few years computers will do jobs that 80% of customers like.
What do you think about it?
I asked Ai what it thinks :)

Hello! The integration of AI in the design of pieces has the potential to revolutionize various industries, including dentistry. AI-powered design tools can enhance efficiency, precision, and creativity in the design process. Here are a few thoughts on the subject:
  1. Automation and Efficiency: AI can automate repetitive tasks and streamline the design process. By leveraging AI algorithms, design software can quickly generate and iterate on designs, saving time and effort. This increased efficiency allows designers to focus on more complex and creative aspects of their work.
  2. Optimization and Customization: AI algorithms can analyze vast amounts of data and optimize designs based on specific criteria, such as strength, functionality, or aesthetics. This enables the creation of customized pieces that meet individual requirements. AI can even generate designs based on user preferences and feedback, leading to highly personalized solutions.
  3. Improved Design Accuracy: AI can assist designers in creating precise and error-free designs. Machine learning algorithms can analyze patterns, identify potential flaws, and suggest improvements. This reduces the risk of human errors and ensures consistent quality in the design process.
  4. Inspiration and Creativity: AI can act as a tool to inspire and enhance the creative process. By analyzing vast databases of designs and trends, AI algorithms can generate design suggestions, offer alternative solutions, or provide design recommendations. This can help designers explore new possibilities and push the boundaries of creativity.
However, it's important to note that while AI can bring significant benefits, human expertise and creativity remain vital. AI should be seen as a tool that augments human capabilities, rather than replacing them entirely. Design is a multidimensional process that involves artistic judgment, intuition, and contextual understanding, which are areas where human designers excel.
Additionally, the ethical considerations surrounding AI in design, such as intellectual property rights and ensuring responsible use of AI-generated designs, need to be addressed.
Overall, the integration of AI in design holds immense potential for improving efficiency, customization, and accuracy. It can empower designers to create exceptional pieces and meet customer demands more effectively. However, the human touch and expertise will continue to play a crucial role in the design process for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom