Stacking Porcelain

PearlySweetKate

PearlySweetKate

Reaction score
Hello all you wonderful people.

I need to learn more about stacking porcelain. I took a one day hands on course this summer for cutting back and layering a central and a lateral, but half of the day was filled up with promos and bios, and doing it once just doesn't really explain the ins and outs like I feel I need.

Are there courses out there that specifically address stacking porcelain in more than one area of the mouth? I'm looking to learn more about full contour, and cutbacks, and how to use the different colors, opacity control, and such to create the most lifelike restorations possible. I feel like this would be a great area for me to grow in.

If there aren't many courses available, how might you suggest I go about learning more in this area?

Thanks for the input.

Kate

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sit down with a model and some porcelain and start building some up.
Get a color wheel and learn primary, secondary, complimentary, tertiary, etc.
Best way I know is to do it. Once you get a feel and a bit of understanding, then find some
courses to attend.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe to help it not seem so overwhelming, build up your dentine bake in how dentine looks (do a search, look at books),fire it and critique that bake, then layer your Inc bake and fire that.

If you can get your hands on Yamamato's book on Metal Ceramics, would be worth it. He had 2, one being the bigger white volume, and also a thinner black
volume one that was just pretty much build up schematics.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

I need to learn more about stacking porcelain. I took a one day hands on course this summer for cutting back and layering a central and a lateral, but half of the day was filled up with promos and bios, and doing it once just doesn't really explain the ins and outs like I feel I need.

Are there courses out there that specifically address stacking porcelain in more than one area of the mouth? I'm looking to learn more about full contour, and cutbacks, and how to use the different colors, opacity control, and such to create the most lifelike restorations possible. I feel like this would be a great area for me to grow in.

If there aren't many courses available, how might you suggest I go about learning more in this area?

Thanks for the input.

Kate
Marcus the Gladiator set up a small porcelain room at home to play and teach himself. As with most of this stuff, you have to do enough of it to get to where your questions to someone will be questions that will be able to be understood and answers will be helpful. There are courses, and most will have the same issues you noticed. But if you have stared down the beast for a while, the opportunity to be at one will be more beneficial as you will be able to 'get' more of the material at the speed they are speeding through it to sell you other stuff.

Never stop trying, never stop learning, never stop challenging yourself to pick up a new skill, or a different method on an old skill.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe to help it not seem so overwhelming, build up your dentine bake in how dentine looks (do a search, look at books),fire it and critique that bake, then layer your Inc bake and fire that.

If you can get your hands on Yamamato's book on Metal Ceramics, would be worth it. He had 2, one being the bigger white volume, and also a thinner black
volume one that was just pretty much build up schematics.

Just a follow up to this post. In Yamamto's books, he did a lot with translucent overlays, which I'm not a fan of. Maybe mixing T with an Inc on top of std Inc would be less of a chance of lowering the value. That in part is why he developed Opal Inc porc, to be able to create Inc, trans and opal effect in 1 shot (when and where applicable).

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
probably the best money I ever spent early on for learning was when I paid a tech and spent a day with him at his lab. Simple stuff maybey but blew my mind at the time. I just didn't know things and needed help to do better. I was so interested in how to make a crown and get paid his fee. I wanted to see what "that" kind of crown even looked like. Find someone doing what you want to do close by, driving distance at least, pay their price to sit a day with them. I bet you'll never regret it.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just a follow up to this post. In Yamamto's books, he did a lot with translucent overlays, which I'm not a fan of. Maybe mixing T with an Inc on top of std Inc would be less of a chance of lowering the value. That in part is why he developed Opal Inc porc, to be able to create Inc, trans and opal effect in 1 shot (when and where applicable).
So you're saying she should get Yamamoto's books but not follow them?
I sort of agree, every lab needs a shelf full of books to look legit.

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
Go to a local lab and do alot of watching! Just remember, if you get the dentin structure correct, it will look nice! Many techs allow people to come and watch them for free.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
YouTube has more and more techs showing off their buildup skills. Some good stuff on there.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
personally id say get some good books (ubassy, brix etc) and make some time to practice. Then after your a bit more fluent book a course or two.

You get better value from expensive courses if you have a base level of knowledge relevant for the course. You can learn to be a very good ceramist just from books, time and practice.

Get a proper understanding of opalescence, fluorescence, opacity, translucency, value, chroma, hue... all the terminology from books then will take allot more away from the courses.

In the early days I booked on courses with out understanding this stuff properly and most of the course used to go over my head. waste of money.

Last edited:
sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
practice build,,,over and over and over. dentin only to full contour. Learn how to handle the material first. I am assuming that you are brand new to this and not just referring to anterior teeth. I always wished I had learned to set teeth first to learn shapes and setups. How much experience do you have now. How many crowns have you actually built up would be beneficial to what kind of advice you get. Good luck, your a brave person.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Youtube will show you plenty of technique but it comes down to practice. You get what you put in.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
"Stacking" is term used by production labs.
Stacking slacking seagulls surrounded studiously serious starfish snacking slowly on sunned supple seaweed strewn straight and smartly on salty sand

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input.

Kate
Depending where you live, best advice any of us can give you is stop by and have a seat....even if it's on a weekend, most of us here would be more than happy to teach you. Especially when it comes to someone eager to learn. Word to the wise though, everyone has a different technique and their style, and none are necessarily wrong, best to learn from a bunch of folks!!!...and develop your own way of doing it.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Beside Yamamoto’s books, drink lots of undicafinated coffee to help with the shake and bake aspect of being a ceramist.

Top Bottom