CDT DTG

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Wow. I just started reading this thread last night. Can't people be happy to let others be happy where they are?
You don't like it here, don't be here.
Don't like Fakebook, don't go there. If you need your opinion to be validated, fine, that's also what Fakebook is for. Ask the 14 year olds.

This is starting to sound like my daughter and her friends arguing over shoe brands.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
JMN, I'm not a FB person either, never will be. It would seem however that a large "mother ship" will one day show up and take away the "chosen ones" , leaving the rest of us behind in misery if I'm reading this thread correctly...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
14 year olds are not on FB any more.
too many old people on there.

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
Our off the mill, stained and glazed FCZ's go for $275, then prices starting from there...yet not losing work to the cheapo labs, no BS...working at capacity ;) Just gotta figure out how to sell (ice to an Eskimo...LOL),then maintain them clients on their terms... We're not on any social media, nor boost a fancy web site either...but keeping a very personal relationship with everybody...thus getting referrals by word of mouth all the time...

:Congrats: :Congrats::Congrats:
My 2 Cents, I have to big labs near my location one outsource to china and the other one to india the price the have for FCZ IS 55-59 USD, I see this offices
claiming that all their work is made in USA labs.
until we do something to take the mask of this warehouses branded like dental labs our industry in some places in USA will keep downhill.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
:Congrats: :Congrats::Congrats:
My 2 Cents, I have to big labs near my location one outsource to china and the other one to india the price the have for FCZ IS 55-59 USD, I see this offices
claiming that all their work is made in USA labs.
until we do something to take the mask of this warehouses branded like dental labs our industry in some places in USA will keep downhill.
we MUST figure out how to educate the public.
many of the local offices that send to china, KNOW IT....and just say "ssshhhh, dont tell the patients"

all these offices asking for discounts on crown fees, yet do you think any of them ask their staff to take lower wages for crown preps? not a chance. i have asked.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
JMN, I'm not a FB person either, never will be. It would seem however that a large "mother ship" will one day show up and take away the "chosen ones" , leaving the rest of us behind in misery if I'm reading this thread correctly...
Yep. I don't have time to deal with facebook, nor do I want to be part of their data mining. Google's either.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
many of the local offices that send to china, KNOW IT....and just say "ssshhhh, dont tell the patients"

all these offices asking for discounts on crown fees, yet do you think any of them ask their staff to take lower wages for crown preps? not a chance. i have asked.
Yep. I don't have time to deal with facebook, nor do I want to be part of their data mining. Google's either.

Gee, I wonder how we could reach all those people at once and let them know what's really going on. :rolleyes:

.....if only there was some way we could do this?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Gee, I wonder how we could reach all those people at once and let them know what's really going on. :rolleyes:
Google Adsense? Care to chip in?

I'll share what I want where I want, but I don't like having a dossier built on me.

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
Good morning gang! Happy to be here. I'm sorry if I took this thread to another place, but I felt compelled to say what needed to be said. All of you here have helped me tremendously technically, and most assuredly in the arena of why I do what I do in the lab.
Some have asked what my PhD is in, but let's digress a little before I tell you anything.

We all have different journeys in life which began long before your arrival here. I loved basketball, and I wanted to play for Coach Dean Smith At UNC, but that didn't happen, so, coming from a divorced family I had to figure out how to get college paid for, for I was certainly tired of my parents arguing and telling me I wasn't nothing, wasn't ever going to amount to anything, and all sorts of stupid sh(t like that. Truth was, I was in a private school, with a class of 40 and graduated near the top of my class and never once cracked a book. Couldn't! Played too much basketball and worked.

So six months before graduation I joined the Navy on a delayed entry program guaranteed dental technician school. I wanted to be a dentist. So, at 16, I devised a plan. Four years active duty, then college was paid for, and hopefully dental school. Sounded good to me. I was married the entire time I was in college. See, I wanted to ensure college would be covered first, then to see if I liked dentistry, and progress from there. When I was first interviewed for dental school, I honestly felt like I had more experience than some of the senior dental students interviewing me. I had no degree completed at the time of application, yet all of my minimum requirements were met with a 3.65 GPA. My major was Chemistry at ODU. So, I made the alternate list, moved to Richmond, Va., and waited............. No dental school, so I went to dental tech school instead. I finished up my other degrees in Chemistry and Education, and then got the AAS in dental technology.

This is where my eyes were opened. I had 3 degrees, 4 years of dental experience in the mouth, and I made $4/hr. I thought are you kidding me? My wife had a 2 yr degree in computers and was pulling 60K/yr in the early 80's. She kept encouraging me to get out of it. Yes, even back then, the docs wanted it cheap, fast, and good, and she saw how I struggled. Long days, weekends, nights. Seven years of struggling before I got a vacation. I hung in there for I hated feeling like I had wasted all that time studying dentistry. I could always apply again, but the ex wife wanted kids, so I stuck it out. Four bucks an hour, but in 18 months I went from that to running the lab's small crown and bridge department. Sad thing is, when the son who took over that lab his father had left him, not one person stopped what they were doing to attend the funeral. Hardly a soul knew he had died. Thus the life of "the lab guy." Many of your clients call you that don't they? How does that make you feel?

Nothing was handed to me. Never borrowed a dime from the parents, nothing. Here's what I had, and still have to this day....... Passion!

I got tired of making the same shapes, the same colors, the same old grind, so as I discussed in my previous rant, I used dental technology as a means to do other things that brought me joy.

I studied martial arts back in college, so when I was 35, skinny as a rail, I began lifting weights. Dedicated myself to that for five years, and yet when I went to work at the sweatshop, it was frowned upon, it seemed, to work from 5 AM to 5 PM, and then go to the gym. The "old guard" came in at 8 and worked until whenever, but because I had my own brain, and didn't follow the pack, the old guard had the bosses ear...... Oh Well!

But I continued my education, and went back to school online then, which was totally new, and got a B. Div., an M.Div., and my PhD is in Metaphysical Sciences, and now working on my 2nd PhD in Divinity, at Liberty University. Why? Simple. I can... and it jazzes me!
I've also sold real estate, been a Private Investigator, a clinical hypnotherapist, and studied different types of Oriental medicine, and I'm a pilot! So let me ask you guys something...... Does any of that amount to a hill of beans? No!!!! It's what pleases me! It's made me a better person, not just how many colors of porcelain I can stack, certainly not a fat bank account! I have made financial deposits into my joy! Now, don't get me wrong, there are days when I wish I had more in the bank account, but that flight along the coast of Maine in the Fall at 1000AGL was priceless! Getting on the Harley and destressing is another pleasure of mine, like restoring my old 81 Corvette.

So, back to this thread............ I'm more proud of my PhD than I ever would be of the CDT that I had, and that's why I use it instead of all the other crap I could put at the end of my name. And the guy that wouldn't hire me if he knew I WASN'T a CDT, well hey, He can kiss my a$$. Have I lost anything over that? Nope, not a wink of sleep. He has his own issues, trust me.

I want you, all of you, to hold your head up and be damn proud of what you do. I'm not talking just about a CDT, DTG kind of proud. The pride of doing your best every day at something that apparently jazzes YOU! 5000 dentists graduate every year, and they need your help. Have they got egos? Oh yeah, but I use the term EGO as an acronym for Edging God Out. Think about that one. I commend all of you for sharing the knowledge you have on this craft, this skill, this PASSION you have for being dental technicians. You have added to my life, and countless others. Some lurk in the dark and won't say anything out of fear, but screw that! Speak your Truth! I recall a time when no one shared anything about how they did this or that. Why? FEAR! EGO! I love this FORUM! I know others have branched off. Let them! If I could make a suggestion..... go visit them, be nice, and maybe your eyes will be opened to new possibilities. What could it hurt?

Dentists put their pants on the same way, and have some of the same problems you have. Don't let them talk down their nose to you, or let anyone else for that matter. Life is short and you better find out what gives you the "juice" before your time is up.
Stop bickering over this and that, and ask yourselves if in a year is it really going to matter to YOU!

I'll get off my soapbox now, and I humbly apologize for rambling.

Be Blessed,

Randy Hill, PhD..................or some of you will say Piled High and Deep! LOL

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
GOOD
FAST
CHEAP

You can have any two.

You can have all three. It's being done every day and that is why imported work is still growing.

Great, Fast, Cheap is another matter but as long as that "great work" is three time higher than the good work its not much of a consideration to the market we sell in.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Randy, I agree if a person can't take pride in the calling of their daily work they need to find something else to do.

MC Reusable Articulators

MC Reusable Articulators

Reaction score

Quality local labs should create a fact sheet (not an attack sheet) that the doctors will allow to be placed in their waiting rooms. Doctors look good, patients get educated.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If a Dr is using a Chinese outsource lab, then you have failed at showing them your value, or if what you have to offer is of little value compared to the almighty $.. move on.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
If a Dr is using a Chinese outsource lab, then you have failed at showing them your value, or if what you have to offer is of little value compared to the almighty $.. move on.
ah i wish it were that simple! i could go into a long dissertation on economics and how if their "almighty dollar" was truly important they wouldnt be sending their work to off-shore labs....but i hope you've all heard it before now!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Quality local labs should create a fact sheet (not an attack sheet) that the doctors will allow to be placed in their waiting rooms. Doctors look good, patients get educated.
have you done this?
have you swayed any offices that were sending to china/offshore to switch their business to you?
how many offices did you deliver these fact sheets to?
how many offices actually put them up?

MC Reusable Articulators

MC Reusable Articulators

Reaction score
have you done this?
have you swayed any offices that were sending to china/offshore to switch their business to you?
how many offices did you deliver these fact sheets to?
how many offices actually put them up?

I'm not a technician, so it's not my place to do so. My dad is a retired technician. And I took over his articulator business only recently. I only worked in the lab briefly as a teen and hated it. Because there was no pay, not one dollar per hour. Just the "roof over my head and the food on my plate". And there was no explanation for why I should do this free work. Or why my dad was doing free work for dentists who demanded more and more. Or why everybody in the lab was so miserable.

So I got a job at Burger King at 14 only on the condition that I got to keep my earnings and buy what I wanted. Capitalism, not communism.

Today, I have the outsider's perspective. And a consumer's perspective. How do I decide which doctor to go to? Some silly Facebook reviews? My friends opinion? Flashy marketing?

No, I ask the LABS. And consumers should be taught the real story of where their teeth come from and they should know there IS such a thing as a "lab" and the integral and influential role it plays in their dental care.

Why is this industry flailing around waiting for the doctor to set the tone?

Wag the dog, be the guerrilla.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I'm not a technician, so it's not my place to do so. My dad is a retired technician. And I took over his articulator business only recently. I only worked in the lab briefly as a teen and hated it. Because there was no pay, not one dollar per hour. Just the "roof over my head and the food on my plate". And there was no explanation for why I should do this free work. Or why my dad was doing free work for dentists who demanded more and more. Or why everybody in the lab was so miserable.

So I got a job at Burger King at 14 only on the condition that I got to keep my earnings and buy what I wanted. Capitalism, not communism.

Today, I have the outsider's perspective. And a consumer's perspective. How do I decide which doctor to go to? Some silly Facebook reviews? My friends opinion? Flashy marketing?

No, I ask the LABS. And consumers should be taught the real story of where their teeth come from and they should know there IS such a thing as a "lab" and the integral and influential role it plays in their dental care.

Why is this industry flailing around waiting for the doctor to set the tone?

Wag the dog, be the guerrilla.
i completely agree with you....

sadly, i am guessing 75% or better of the population doesnt "know" there is a lab. you had the advantage of knowing. at 17 years old (when i started in the lab) i had no idea there was such a thing. most patients go to the dentist because something hurts and they want it to stop, or they go for routine cleanings to the same place they have been going for years and years. sometimes generations.

i have struggled my entire career to come up with a viable "marketing" strategy to educate the general public. i have yet to come up with that one gem of an idea to make it all possible. still searching for new ideas and methods to shed light on the industry as a whole to the every day jane and joe walking down the street.

i asked the above questions not to be a difficult a$$ (though i am one haha!),but instead to see if any of those tactics worked. you ask why the dr sets the tone? well if you believe the dr sending to china will post informational packets in their lobby about sending off-shore....i think you are sorely mistaken. some of these offices blatantly admit it to the lab (me) but literally say to keep it quiet around the patients. literally not a joke, this happened last year.
other offices refuse to admit it, they INSIST they arent sending offshore....but when i explain the minimum labor hours [at minimum wage] it takes to make a crown, not to mention material costs, and try to show them the numbers cannot match up with their $48 PFM crown....the cold shoulder comes out. they do not want to admit it to themselves, or their patients.

sorry to make this such a rant, just trying to find additional info i can use to help educate the masses.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Dental technician appears before dentist in the phone book.
YouTube,Twitter ,LinkedIn and Facebook are free.

How many people do you need to reach in one week? Are you marketing for you or the industry?

How many do you want to drive to your website?

Top Bottom