Zirconia porcelain options; preferences

user name

user name

Reaction score
I am using GC Initial Zr-Fs now , a little e.max here and then , and some Shofu ! I like for anteriors Shofu , for me the absolutely best opalecent porcelain on the market , for posteriors GC Initial because of the low shrinknage and the strengh . e.max ceram is not that bad . I am having great results with it , but I am overbaking it . 785 celcius instead of 750 which is the standard temp from Ivoclar . I get more chroma , and less grey that way . Do this experiment . Make a tsest tab of clear , two times , same size , shape etc . Fire it at the standard ceram program . It will come out not clear , but greyish . Do the same at 775 . You will see the difference immediately .
Agreed on the clear tabs. Thats the standard test for finding every porcelains sweet spot.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Thanks Drizzt, and good to know about raising temps....I never checked since I use Ivoclar ovens preprogrammed ....
Nothing better than Old School distilled water... I still have memories of good old tap water lol

Drizzt, do you have a conversion chart for Shofu zr that's really really accurate on light 3D shades.... Still using Shofu on my pfms and switching over from VM9/GC Zr to CZR changed my world. Thinking about going back to EX3 but its the red headed step child compared to CZR..(EX3 not as nice as Shofu on metal in my old opinion )

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Nondas is using distiled water for CZR . And you know he is a Noritake master !
Hi Drizzt, I have never used but distelled water with all Notitake porcelain and other ceramics for years with zero problems.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Whats a PFM?
2014 definition of PMF:
Old school metal ceramics crowns now designed with Cad and waiting for the UPS driver to deliver framework without getting lost in shipment.
No blocking out underscuts, No marking margins, no painting on multi layers of die spacers, no waxing, no wax sealing margins, no spruing, no investing, no over investment of expensive alloys, no burnout ovens needed, no casting, no propane/oxy to buy, no devesting needed.

fyi... kind of enjoy doing pfms again without all the old school techniques...... ;)

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We use Initial for the entire lab. Never any technical issues and it looks great. Ease of use is there as well.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I bake my e.max press with e.max ceram at 775 , and e.max ceram on zirc at 785 . I have really nice results , and I still haven't found a powder that will give me the result of OE1 . Maybe with Shofu Superlucent but OE1 baked correctly is amazing .

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Thanks Drizzt, and good to know about raising temps....I never checked since I use Ivoclar ovens preprogrammed ....
Nothing better than Old School distilled water... I still have memories of good old tap water lol

Drizzt, do you have a conversion chart for Shofu zr that's really really accurate on light 3D shades.... Still using Shofu on my pfms and switching over from VM9/GC Zr to CZR changed my world. Thinking about going back to EX3 but its the red headed step child compared to CZR..(EX3 not as nice as Shofu on metal in my old opinion )

Unfortunately I don't have such a conversion chart . Since I dropped Vita from my lab , 3d shades are a distant bad memory ... GC has a guide of how to make 3d shades , and it is fairly accurate . I use a shade conversion chart from the book , Fundamentals of Color . Works great

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
2014 definition of PMF:
Old school metal ceramics crowns now designed with Cad and waiting for the UPS driver to deliver framework without getting lost in shipment.
No blocking out underscuts, No marking margins, no painting on multi layers of die spacers, no waxing, no wax sealing margins, no spruing, no investing, no over investment of expensive alloys, no burnout ovens needed, no casting, no propane/oxy to buy, no devesting needed.

fyi... kind of enjoy doing pfms again without all the old school techniques...... ;)

...no gold techs

C

charles007

Reaction score
No gold tech waxers, my gold crowns are printed and cast from Bego and Argen. I can offer C&B crowns in Noble Yellow & White, and HN Yellow and not have to stock thousands of dollars in assorted alloys.
Will also offer SLM for ceramics which I have no experience as of now but have heard nothing but positive things.
SLM frames can be made in NP, N, and HN, and I bet this form of pfm will surge over the next few years for die hard metal ceramics fans.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You can do Captek too.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Emax ceram on zirconia sucks, unless your into grey looking shades... lol
VM9 also sucks, especially on 3D shades when the Value is off...
GC is nice and easy to use.
CZR is SWEET, very translucent, low shrinkage, plus the option of having 3D shades that actually match.. :) In my opinion CZR's Shade Base Stain which is your wash layer gives your frame a very rich chroma shade that makes this porcelain a KickAss zir porcelain....
fyi, also have the studies from Christenson and Noritake that show CZR comes out on top above other zir porcelains..
Shofu ZR is very nice but no 3D shades if you need them on anterior cases like me.

Question!
CZR buildup liquid works fine to prevent tearing but CZR slumps more than other porcelains I've used, what modeling liquid works better with CZR ?
Try Vacalon's Cera-Mix. We use it with both CZR and Noritake EX-3. If you go to Vacalon's website to the free samples section, they will send you a sample of it.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Will do, thanks...
Just received Vacalon's stain tray last week......... very nice for an inexpensive staining tray..

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I bought some of these staining and porcelain buildup tray last year, plastic,!! but good quality.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I found this chart that may be useful at apexdentalmillingDOTcom

"Below is a table of common porcelain systems for zirconia. Their CTE information has been pulled from the manufacturer's datasheets or instructions for use."

9d318eef6dfcda85e342a8e4a1a18240.jpg

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Recently started using Zirlux instead of Emax ceram. I also use Vita for the for their just wonderful 3D guide.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I've just layered some Zr with GC's new LiSi, I also made some refractory veneers with the LiSi. Lovely porcelain, knocks the spots off of E.Max Ceram.

K

KIM

Reaction score
Jensen is launching a new Zirconia layering porcelain from the InSync family. Not only does it work on ZR but it also works on TI and also LD.....More info coming but it's beautiful, very stable and cost effective....

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Thought I would post a pic of a PFZ bridge I just finished up. No staining on this, its a mix of INsides then B3/59 out of the bottle. B3 is a tricky shade, especially for zr because its got a heavy chroma too it, and its not really a bright shade either. I err on the side of being chroma rich with PFZ.. The Interproximal stain is a bit exaggerated in this pic, its not so heavy.
Sagexmax zr. B3Bridge.jpg