Zenotec Mini Tool Life

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
How long should I use a tool in my Zenotec Mini before replacing it? I was told that the wax tools will last about 50 hours and the zirconia tools about 15 hours. I was also told to move the zirconia tools to the wax positions after they spend 15 hours milling zirconia. We just got our first mill a month ago so I would really appreciate any advice for some of you who have experience. Thanks!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Brent the truth is there are a ton of factors and no blanket number to set. The default 10 hours in the cam is set for very safe results. If you mill plastic and wax they will no way last 50 hours for the standard carbides, wax alone you have a chance.

For zirconia The 2.5 I can get about 20 hours before I see some issues , the 1mm which is the most important tool I change at 12 or when I see chipping.

I do change the zirc tools frequently especially if I load up a puck with more than 20 units I sure as hell do not want to waste zirc because I tried and stretch a 40 bur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
I tend to change zr burs at 10 hours. If you really want to stretch there use look at a new bur under a microscope and compare as they are used. You can also steamclean them between uses to extend there life. I have switched to Toolmack burs and just replace at 10 hours. The wax ones I have never replaced just reset the counter as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I do the same as John . I reset the tool indicator back to green light one time so I get two cycles (a little less than 20 hrs). I get the Burs from 'Toolmack' so they are about half the price and I really never have had any chipping @ the margins. I know some ppl go a lot,,,,, lot longer between tool changes with no problems.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to keep getting my burs from Ivoclar for now since I am not going through them that fast...yet. :)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Brett, did you happen to see this post by Patrick, maybe you already knew all this, but just in case: http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/vhf-burs.21883/page-2#post-198767

I just put in the 2.5 and 1.0 of the "better" (middle ones) of the Wieland. Funky looking cutter head, did a excellent job in milling the 1st wax pattern and PMMA bridge. I only do wax and PMMA for now, and replaced my burs when I started to get small flake white blotchy look on the anatomy (wax not totally cleanly cut). Like the others, I just kept resetting the counter until I saw that change in how they looked.

So far, "love" my Mini. I've had it about 4 months. Had to replace the measuring plate (touch off plate) and calibrate it for the 1st time 2 days ago. Other than that, it's been a workhorse for wax and PMMA.

Last edited: