WorkNC v4 Am I doing it all wrong?

technician

technician

Reaction score
Hello is anyone using this CAM software?

I just got updated from v3 using a strategy with 0.8 and 2.0 mm to v4 Using 0.6, 1.0 and 2.0mm using the Roland DWX 5.

The program of course has new features and the outcome is ok but.......

To my surprise in this version the software do not use 5 axis when milling undercuts inside crowns.
5 axis is only used to mill undercuts from margin and up on the outside of the crowns to next z level.

What I can see now when the machine is milling inside the crown the disc are positioned according to the insert direction.

Coming to the Cavity section, in this software my support tells me it's automatically done but if I don't do it manually the program sometimes do not calculate for fine milling inside the crown and sometimes some parts on the outside it'll be roughed milled only.

Remaching
, before I never used it, the support told me this was for machines with only 4 axes. And now the support tells me to use it sometimes? You can do it manually or automagically I don't know.
Now the fit is not as good as before.

And if I'm using 5 axis options to mill undercuts, and as I said it only mills on the outside, the surface is not smooth and it has marks of the burr like it has been doing a line from +z to -z axis.

The milling is slower now, one crown with anatomy takes like 20-25 min and before it was 15-20 min ofcourse the strategy is different but still 5-10 mins is a big difference. And if Im using 5 axis and remachining it takes like 30 min. per crown.

Milling using hole recognition is working great so that's no problems.

I don't know if this is a new strategy that other cam software is using?

My support responds to my e-mails with -What is the problem now?

The help section is not even updated for the new version so no help there.

It feels like I'm having a 4 axis machine now :-(

I do think this is a good software but I'm not doing it right.

So if anyone that could enlighten me about this software it would be appreciated.

Cheers!

5-axis

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Work NC ?? maybe theirs a option to set toolpath inside for every teeth now its on one general ax but the next step removing rest material is not part of the strategie you use. And maybe some mistranslation from cad to cam the small things in the background.

you have something like new manual for a short look

Last edited:
Top Bottom