• Outsource all metal work

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Just "mill, sprue and smile"

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
T

treehouse

Reaction score
Has everyone gone completely digital or any old schoolers out there?

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
I am in Dubai, but if I ever move to US and run my own lab, will consider 90% of my wax milled. Saving time and labor cost.

Currently we use our Cercon machine for Zirconia

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I stopped doing pfms quite a while ago. I still do some of my dx work by hand.

A

adl

Reaction score
Only hand wax diagnostic wax-ups. Don't do much Pfm,that's where zirconia comes in for me.most my work is emax though

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I am TOTALLY old school. Everything by hand, except for implant bars.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Still mostly wax by hand. Seems like whoever I send models to to mill zirconia or wax it always comes back too bulky .

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
We do hardly any waxing at all. However we do have some customers that like to wax EVERYTHING and then we convert to digital.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We fully hand wax all our Emax veneer cases, certain inlay/onlay that is not ideal for Cad/Cam and we refine all our anterior milled units and all diagnostic wax-ups. Other then that all PFM and emax is digital .

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My old lab was total hand wax before it closed here & moved, and still is where it is now

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Bought cad cam in 2011. All emax are digital. I've never hand waxed again anything, but i use to redo almost every design. So i have the best of the two worlds. The problem is the other 50% of the lab (my wife) hates cad cam. And i see with pain how she waste his life handwaxing-investing-grinding the all the metal for pfm ... Do not try to convince her, it is impossible.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Mill everything I can, and refine margins and poor CAD designs in wax (add/subtract). Hand wax all my diagnostic wax ups, for now. I say refine margins, as I really don't want to mess in re-sealing them, as that is what the CAD/CAM system does such a great job at, consistent 360 margins through the thickness of the margin. I only want to make up for where I missed it in the scan margin marking.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
We hand wax a few full 60% crowns and inlays, CAD cast the others, SLM the non precious.

I like hand waxing if I have time.....kind of therapeutic and relaxing, and a shame to lose some skills that have taken years to gain.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
I still hand wax just about everything. I just started playing with milling wax, and there's some appeal, but I keep breaking the margins when I double check the fit and have to put them back on anyway. I'll be milling the wax in some cases, but for now, I prefer waxing up by hand for my situation and work flow.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We hand wax a few full 60% crowns and inlays, CAD cast the others, SLM the non precious.

I like hand waxing if I have time.....kind of therapeutic and relaxing, and a shame to lose some skills that have taken years to gain.
It really could be quite calming, trancelike, monastic even at times. Even started playing Enigma and Enya CDs at times.
Really! Far cry from the same day denture repair world I'm in now!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
We fully hand wax all our Emax veneer cases, certain inlay/onlay that is not ideal for Cad/Cam and we refine all our anterior milled units and all diagnostic wax-ups. Other then that all PFM and emax is digital .
I've been milling all the veneers. Especially the minimal prep veneers. I can get a perfect .3-.5mm thickness, great margins, and a hard wax pattern as opposed to a fragile pattern made from carving wax. Then I mill the intaglio with the 2,1,.6, and .3 mm burs. A great strategy so I still get that hand waxed intimate fit.

There should be an option on this survey for sometimes I mill wax, sometimes I hand wax.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I dont hand wax if I can help it. Emax gets milled in wax, metal gets sent out, and dx waxups are also done with milled white wax.

L

luishcmartins

Reaction score
100% Hand wax - and love it!! Best part of the day.