Which digital impression scanner should I direct my clients to?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
There are quite a few IO scanners in Europe and elsewhere trying for FDA approval to enter the US market. I would be wary of any new products that don't have some kind of track record especially if none of your peers can comment on them.

Lots of the ones commercially available here already make some great claims of accuracy and ease of use, but they all have their quirks and short comings. As with all digital technology, be SURE you will have great technical support in your native language before jumping on the bandwagon.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Tron 3D will be out next summer......straight to dvd.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I've been studying this same topic for a new lecture coming up and a quick shout out to Bob at CAP for being unbiased and sharing his knowledge on this topic with me, thank you!!!. Trios is by far the best from my studies. However, it has it's flaws too... one is the price, nearly 40K, plus a yearly license fee of 3,700 and the shade matching ain't exactly spot on, but the pictures are there. What really turns me off (and maybe it won't for the Dentists) is all the extra fees. Similar to 3Shape, they all have licensing fees, and my philosophy on that is if I go buy car off the dealers lot, It's mine, it should work. Sure, you might need some maintenance but it shouldn't automatically shut off if I don't pay the yearly license fee, especially if I don't want to update it. Heck, most days I'm just happy it gets me to work and back. As for different systems, you have Tru-Def (3M/Jensen) 12K, plus 250 a month to open .stl, plus marking margin fee (unless you get certified to do it) Which pisses me off, I can do a full mouth resto but can't mark a margin??? Come on 3M!!! E4D is similar to the monthly cost to open a .stl. I believe the last time I checked it was around 250 dollars/month. As others stated, E4D and Craperec was meant to be a chairside mill and although you can get Cerec sent to you and a model milled, the accuracy is junk. It might work for some labs, but microscope labs won't do it, including me. Itero has worked great, the accuracy was very reasonable, but at the time we were doing them, they milled the models and it that ruined the surface texture and all the additional fees associated with the models, software, and it's a bulky machine. Still looking into CareStream, waiting to hear the cost and workflow of this system. I will say more Dentists are asking me about this and there seems to be some hoopla about intraoral scanners, that way out of state clients don't have to ship, the legalities of the assistants, and eventually going modelless. Please feel free to comment or add to this, as any information is helpful.
The 3M margin-marking test was neither difficult or time-consuming...

S

Sheikh

Reaction score
what will be the price of this Trios Scanner ? I want to import to India. Does anybody have contact of reseller in India for these scanners

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
Anyone know the costs of carestream scanner, additional fees?

25k one time for just the scanner, some other fees to get up and running and like Trios you need a computer to plug it into

No annual fees, one time purchase price....plus they have pretty good representation/support in my area. Bad part is they also have their own milling/design system, which is 65k total but not sure how many dentists would be interested in milling if they haven't already taken the plunge w/Sirona.

Unfortunately for me Trios doesn't have any reps or scanners here, yet I live in the 6th largest city in America...Dontknow. Their big problem is distribution and support. All of their partners are selling thier own I/O scanning and milling systems so why would they sell a dentist a Trios for less money

Last edited:
shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Thanks Luke. I remember they had a really good business model when I talked to them.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Thanks Luke. I remember they had a really good business model when I talked to them.
I like their business model too. They want to let labs be the distributor to the drs. Makes sense, drs would be more open to their lab promoting/selling a i/o scanner than a random sales person slithering in the door. Plus I'd rather have a part in what my docs ultimately choose for a scanner. It's amazing that drs aren't aware of all the i/o scanning options out there, just the big named ones with big price tags and high yearly fees. I'm looking forward to more of the scan only options coming into the market soon.
I talked to them at Clon3D today and they're no longer selling the progress 3d (MHT) scanner but are releasing a new i/o scanner very soon.

Top Bottom