Whats the best way to polish Duraflex Dentures?

L

lowlight

Reaction score
I just did my first Flexible.
I polished it like I would a normal acrylic denture. Pumice polish & hi-shine with a compound bar.
It came out pretty good but it wasn't very shinny.
I'm thinking maybe a hi-shine paste would work better?
Curious how others do it?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Duraflex,
did you use the model sealant? if so don't touch the interior.
Shape, Did you use the Myerson 3M polishing system with the Myerson scratch CDM remover?
That should give you a pretty good result.
I shape, use a little different 3M abrasive brush, then pumice substitute resiliance, then lightly low speed myerson scratch remover, flexible do nt get the gloss you can get with PMMA, but you can get close.
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f2/anyone-injecting-myerson-visiclear-material-w-dentsply-success-injector-frs-furnace-14325/#post106356

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I dont polish them very much but when I do... I use the myerson scotch brite polishers with the fine scratch remover they supply. The secret with the scotch brite disks is to buy two sets and put them all on the mandrel so it's as thick as your muslin buffs. They polish much quicker and shinier. Then finish with the fine scratch remover. The best thing you can do though is to wax so there is minimal finishing. Makes polishing a whole lot easier.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
X2 on what has already been said.

Also check into some large silicone points. They work well at getting the material really smooth before pumicing. Check out DVA's Acryl-Marvel kit.

Smoother it is prior to pumicing the less time you spend with your hands in pumice...

Also very last step before cleaning the partial i hit it with a clean buff very light pressure with a variable speed lathe turned all the way down.

And like AJ said make sure your using a model sealant if the tissue side isn't nice and clean its not going to look as good.

L

lowlight

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I flasked it as I would an acrylic denture.
No sealant, just used a separating solution and it came out spotless!
Sound like the Myerson polishing system is the way to go.
I wasn't sure if it worth $180

awww.myersontooth.com_images_finishing_polishing_kit.jpg
awww.myersontooth.com_images_finishing_polishing_kit.jpg

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I ordered the kit the first go around and it is great, but after adjusting my waxing and finishing techniques i now only order the green by itself. If you can get it smooth enough before pumicing you don't need all the other colors IMO...

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
lowlight
Thanks for the replies.
I flasked it as I would an acrylic denture.
No sealant, just used a separating solution and it came out spotless!
Sound like the Myerson polishing system is the way to go.
I wasn't sure if it worth $180
Order some of the fine scratch remover, I like it better than the DVA for flexables (I like the DVA for hard acrlic though.)
And check out this link
Santa Fe Jewelers Supply - 3M� Radial Bristle Discs Kit 3" - Fine

You should maybe order one of these as well, won't take you long to figure out why.
Santa Fe Jewelers Supply - 3M� Radial Bristle Disc Kit 3/4"
It would be a good idea to order a few mint green spares get it in 1 handling charge, some Wed they put in a surprise.
http://www.sfjssantafe.com/itemstable.php?Gid=271&ItemSet=Polishing&DepId=tools&ot=&at=

lowlight if you are into the duraflex why have you not taken Cris Shermerhorns course? KrisS on this forum.

Last edited:
L

lowlight

Reaction score
thanks for the links AJEL. I've never used 3m bristle discs. i'll give them a try.
I would do his course but I'm not in the States.
I've been learning how to do them off youtube.

B

Bdf

Reaction score
I just did my first Flexible.
I polished it like I would a normal acrylic denture. Pumice polish & hi-shine with a compound bar.
It came out pretty good but it wasn't very shinny.
I'm thinking maybe a hi-shine paste would work better?
Curious how others do it?

OK, do you do a "Flexite" or a "DuraFlex"? They are to totally different partials

If you did a DuraFlex use the Myerson polishing compounds and wheels

drm313mac

drm313mac

Reaction score
You might do Myerson's webinar on polishing these. Presented by Chris Shimmerhorn, what he states has made the difference for us.

We polish pretty much as presented, then flame the material. That is, we apply heat but without allowing the flame to touch the material, and our partials are now like glass.

Actually, I am not the one who actually does these, but John (removables CDT) and Keenan (the finishing guy). These are two of the 4 lab techs we have --- I am just the dentist, so what do I know?

Nowakdental

Nowakdental

Reaction score
Kris recommends besides the polishing kit they offer to use the Foredom polishing lathe that you can fine tune the speed. Inexpensive little lathes we sell them for $179.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

KTR

KTR

Reaction score
We found the Foredom polishing lathe with the variable speed made the difference. The Myerson polishing kit works best with the perfect speed.
You can get the finish down to 25 to 30 minutes.

Nowakdental

Nowakdental

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with one of my accounts that does a lot of Duraflex. He had some good tips that I wanted to share:
1) he doubled up the polishing discs and was amazed at the speed it polished.
2) after all was done he lightly passed the appliance with his blazer torch that left a great mirror like shine to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

J

Jaypatrick

Reaction score
I do all my finishing in wax, trim with a fine diamond burr then step down with various silicon rubber points, and then hit with a hot air gun, but I do stipple and add anatomy to my partials,as it diffuses the light if you can't can't the perfect finish and throws the eye just enough to allow you to get away with not having a perfect high shine

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
The 3M disks the 3" & 1" get the flexables close and a controlled heat wand like the KADA 858D+ finishes the glaze just don't overdo the surface heat.
image.jpeg

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing these things out. Going to try the heat gun on my next one.

Top Bottom