What would you like to see?

H

Huntsky

Reaction score
I am curious to get your thoughts and ideas from you guys to what you would like to see from Implant Manufacturers.

Please take this thread seriously! Nothing silly please.
Abutments with a non roughened surface so plaque doesn't adhere after bone loss and tissue resorption ;)

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Abutments with a non roughened surface so plaque doesn't adhere after bone loss and tissue resorption ;)

The collars of abutments should be high polished so that plaque will not adhere to the metal.

I'm not sure who supplies abutments, but everyone should be polishing the collar! Who cares

if it takes 5 mins, it's not about saving time, it's about the PATIENT. I think that there's a

disconnect sometimes between work and this is actually going into someone's mouth. What can I do to

make the best part possible to give the best results for the patient. It's not just work,

it's someone's bone, tissue, eating function.

H

Huntsky

Reaction score
1 screw fits all (and driver).
Could cause screw loosening if not fit properly to abutment design.

Could limit Angulated abutments.

1 screw and driver is nice thought but probably unpractical in the realistic design.

Dependent on too many factors. How do you for a screw properly designed for a 6.0 diameter into a 3.5 or better yet a true 3.0?

What about multi units?

H

Huntsky

Reaction score

1 screw and driver is nice thought but probably unpractical in the realistic design.

Dependent on too many factors. How do you for a screw properly designed for a 6.0 diameter into a 3.5 or better yet a true 3.0?

What about multi units?
If everyone should polish abutments what does that say about laser lock?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
1 screw fits all (and driver).

That would be great in a perfect world, but the truth is, that there are a lot of dentists

out there that prescribe small implants. Small implants most of the time cannot be supported

by the normal sized screw hence the smaller screws. I agree, it would be awesome to be able

to reach that feat on small implant platforms.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'm confident that the 1 screw fits all could work with two changes and i'll write them here.

1. divide the screw into two standard sizes; one for all implants under 3mm, one for all over that size.

2. in order to account for the varying lengths and head sizes, the screw will be naturally longer, but would be shimmed into place and snugness via implant-specific collars on the screw shaft between the threads and the head. this collar would fit the internal size of the access hole, effectively strengthening the system.

its very do-able imo.

A

aqdental

Reaction score

What about multi units?
Well, even reducing the number of drivers ( maybe 2) would be an achievement . For the screws, I'm sure something could be done ( standardise head diameter, design, length?.......anything to reduce inventory).

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Well, even reducing the number of drivers ( maybe 2) would be an achievement . For the screws, I'm sure something could be done ( standardise head diameter, design, length?.......anything to reduce inventory).

But now you're thinking about the Lab side of it and not from

a patient's perspective. There are so many options for implants

because every person's mouth is different and calls for different

types/shapes of prosthetics. Implant manufacturers would LOVE

to be able to simplify things, but that's just not reality when

everyone's mouth is different.

A

aqdental

Reaction score
But now you're thinking about the Lab side of it and not from

a patient's perspective. There are so many options for implants

because every person's mouth is different and calls for different

types/shapes of prosthetics. Implant manufacturers would LOVE

to be able to simplify things, but that's just not reality when

everyone's mouth is different.
I wasn't aware of the discussion being about patients perspective. Anyway, I do understand the reason behind having different platforms, sizes etc etc. but I believe that utilising at least a universal driver would not hurt anyone. Also some companies (ie: Neoss) have moved toward simplifying and reducing inventory.
Imagine going on holiday, getting a loose screw, finding a dentist and then hear:" we don't have a unitorx in stock, but we have a 1.2 hex, 1.2 square, unix rip, Neoss driver, slotted.............sorry we can't help you.
Less is best and right now I believe there is probably an overload of components. Think about the recent angled screw channels solutions: I'm aware of three companies offering that and guess : they all use a different driver. Don't know, maybe I'm just tired of switching drivers LOL.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of the discussion being about patients perspective. Anyway, I do understand the reason behind having different platforms, sizes etc etc. but I believe that utilising at least a universal driver would not hurt anyone. Also some companies (ie: Neoss) have moved toward simplifying and reducing inventory.
Imagine going on holiday, getting a loose screw, finding a dentist and then hear:" we don't have a unitorx in stock, but we have a 1.2 hex, 1.2 square, unix rip, Neoss driver, slotted.............sorry we can't help you.
Less is best and right now I believe there is probably an overload of components. Think about the recent angled screw channels solutions: I'm aware of three companies offering that and guess : they all use a different driver. Don't know, maybe I'm just tired of switching drivers LOL.

I know what you mean and completely understand. It's always better to KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Just because the whole crown would be solid Zr doesn't mean that

the interface is going to be just as strong. The tolerances that were

established for the abutment interface is intended for Ti, not an

all porcelain. I wonder if any fatigue testing was done...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i wonder how it would be improved - a full zirconia screw retained - to proof against breakage.

whether or not the zirconia is too brittle. well flexible zirconia then ?