What happens to your outsourcing business when...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
.. the Chinese are ready for a workers revolt?

China's working poor not yet ready to revolt | World news | The Guardian

'The rich are too rich and the poor are too poor," she says.'

This is a hypothetical situation, but countries with oppressed people have a history of wanting change.. So what happens to a business based on outsourcing (dental or otherwise) when you cannot get cheap Chinese labor? Do you go to another 3rd world country to exploit the poor? Does it not affect business at all? Or will we be the ones working for £700 a year?

doug

doug

Reaction score
I've been saying for a long time that when the workers in China finally get feed-up there's gonna be a real problem with any product made there that gets exported. There are a lot of unhappy workers there who are getting an idea of what a union/collective bargaining effort will do for them.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Maybe Doug,
But as I recall the last group of Chinese dissidents wound up with tank tread marks on their backs...

That'll go a long ways towards quieting any unrest.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We will just bail em out, look what dumb ass General Motors did, we the American tax payers bail them out of insolvency, and then they go to China and bring the RD there as well as opening like 8 plants. Its just sickening to me!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Damn John so true. like they saying goes 'If you can't beat them, join them' American car companies couldn't build a car to save their a$$es so they now go over there and let them build the cars for them they lost either way. Plus we ain't bailing china out, they just bailed US out! LOL we screwed either way.

When they revolt you should see mini milling centers pop up all over the place more noticeably, i mean there are places here is socal that are pushing sickeningly low priced FCZ and framework to the point of may $0.50 to $1.00 profit if that, pay your worked 2.50 to scan then 2.50 to finish at a super high quantity of shipping don by on-trac or local courier cases shipped are like a few$$$ even we cant touch that. WTF!? The started this mess and now they are gonna screw it up for everyone, wow way to go CHINA!

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Have you guys read or heard of "The Real Crash" Peter D. Schiff
Thats some scary sht.....at least some techs are still producing in the US to help the economy.

A

AlbertLam

Reaction score
China has undergone tremendous changes, the society and the people are evolving in a breathtaking pace. For people who had never been to a Chinese dental lab, it is hard to imagine what it is like. But the fact is, now a days, people in China are very focused in making money. Please take some time to visit a Chinese dental lab. I extend an open invitation for fellow lab owners and technicians to visit my lab in Shenzhen, China. I am sure we will understand each other better.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
China has undergone tremendous changes, the society and the people are evolving in a breathtaking pace. For people who had never been to a Chinese dental lab, it is hard to imagine what it is like. But the fact is, now a days, people in China are very focused in making money. Please take some time to visit a Chinese dental lab. I extend an open invitation for fellow lab owners and technicians to visit my lab in Shenzhen, China. I am sure we will understand each other better.
I could think of a few places I would rather vacation to, but what is there to understand any better? Im a capitalist, Im all for competition, so I have no problem with Chinese dental labs or the fact that they compete with the US. I am a bit confused about people in China being very focused on making money.. this certainly is a very very select few that are even able to make more money.. I dont claim to be an expert on China at all so tell me where Im wrong.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Manufacturing will move to Vietnam.

A

AlbertLam

Reaction score
Well, I feel a little bit intimidated here because some of us here don't like people like me - China outsource lab!
People are entitile to their opinion, I respect that.

The reason I said that is because when I have first time visitors from America, they inevitably told me that the China that they saw is totally different from the China they had in mind before they came.
Chinese, in general, are not fluent in english or other foreign language. Most of us here cannot express their ideas very well and the words often come out wrong (you can see from some of the postings by my compatriots).
It is hard for us to convince people who had never visited the modern China that we are not what you think who we are. that is why I would really really enjoy your visits.

Albert

P

paulg100

Reaction score
id love to visit, but because half our work is now going to china i cant afford the air fair :rolleyes:

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Well, I feel a little bit intimidated here because some of us here don't like people like me - China outsource lab!
People are entitile to their opinion, I respect that.

The reason I said that is because when I have first time visitors from America, they inevitably told me that the China that they saw is totally different from the China they had in mind before they came.
Chinese, in general, are not fluent in english or other foreign language. Most of us here cannot express their ideas very well and the words often come out wrong (you can see from some of the postings by my compatriots).
It is hard for us to convince people who had never visited the modern China that we are not what you think who we are. that is why I would really really enjoy your visits.

Albert
Well maybe what you dont realize is that while you feel intimidated, many lab owners feel intimidated by Chinese competition. Especially the large labs with lots of overhead.. In fact, China may turn out to be my greatest ally by wiping out many of the med-large US labs.. This creates an opportunity to scoop up the remaining docs that dont want to send to China, but need a new lab.. Who knows!? Its not only China that is changing, the world is changing and Chinas growth is only a reflection of this.. Unfortunately, our domestic manufacturing is changing for the worse.. if it is even recoverable at all..

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Change will happen. Those that will only look at change as a negative will not do well.

If you can not furnish the buyer with what they want then it's not their fault or the fault of sellers that can.

As for what will happen in China. I know things will change and so will I.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
id love to visit, but because half our work is now going to china i cant afford the air fair :rolleyes:

We have sent US lab customers to visit our lab in China and they come home with a few custom suits and shirts and no expenses at all. If you were doing 1000 units a month with me I would love to send you. No Problem!

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Unfortunately you treat your own people appallingly and this shouldn't be ignored when discussing business!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
My question is, if you have a booming dental lab industry, what is the standard of dental care for an average Chinese worker in these labs? Do they even have access to the products they make.. ?

"Previous reports indicated that China needs 700,000 dentists, but the number of licensed dentists is currently only 40,000. "

Pulled from this story: Time for Dental Care -- china.org.cn

In a country of 1.3 billion.. I tried to do the dr/pt math but the calculator didnt go to billions..

Is it possible to follow one of your employees home to see the conditions they return to after work?

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Lack of dental care is the least of their worries!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Lack of dental care is the least of their worries!

Well certainly! trying to make a point.. when someone says, 'come see our lab, youll be surprised, its not as bad as you think' .. well .. this is what I think, about your country... Sure they have a job, and want to make money.. but when you walk out of the factory-labyrinth with $10 in your hand after a long week.. I would like to know, what are they so anxious to buy with all this money they make?

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
We will just bail em out, look what dumb ass General Motors did, we the American tax payers bail them out of insolvency, and then they go to China and bring the RD there as well as opening like 8 plants. Its just sickening to me!

John and Sevan,

I looked into what you said about GM building factories in China and the bailout they received from the US tax payers. From what I could find it looks like GM has only one factory in Shanghai that was built in 1998 (long before the bailouts) and the other is a joint venture with a Chinese company. The JV might be a way to get around a legal requirement to make cars in China when you own such a large part of the market. GM is the #1 automaker in the world's largest auto market, China.

Since the bailout GM has paid all of the money back to the US government with interest. They had record profits in 2010 and 2011, those record profits are likely due to their success in China and other regions where they market their products. None of that revenue, the jobs it supports and the taxes paid would have happened if they simply went under. In fact, their employees, and all of the businesses that sell pieces and parts to GM would have been left holding the bag.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom