Wax up critique thread.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
kcdt,
it is not my skin i worry about. I think most of the techs here are amazing.
It is the Dr.s perception of us I worry about. here is a pic of the case I am talking about. Dr. was going to redo 6-9 and plan for a mask to make gum line even. I told him no, I have friends on this forum that could brain storm and come up with a better treatment plan than desigining a case that would be married to a mask. I felt it would be unfair to the patient. Yes Michelle I am the 'mask maker'. I am also a removables tech that specializes in implants. I aslo can do c&b if I had to.

Kim,

I would think the mask business would be a good niche to be in along with the implants. I'll show my ignorance here and ask for a little more info on the case you are showing. The upper is an implant case? It looks as if #8 &9 are bonded to the laterals. From my point of view looks like it might be a monodont type deal?

Michelle

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Well, I meant whoever's skin. Dr McCall was pretty shocked at us when he got here, but he's got a really good attitude (which is rare for anyone these days),and I think he fell right in with us.

As for the case, it depends on what the Dr is thinking. Maybe some soft tissue management will get him where he wants to go... maybe crown lengthening.
Can you describe what that is the patient has now?
I agree something better than a mask should be tried.

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
Michelle, I will post the whole case after I get some work done.

Right now I have a mask to finish. I'll be back.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Michelle, I will post the whole case after I get some work done.

Right now I have a mask to finish. I'll be back.

Hey Kim, you still working on Friday afternoon ! :) I haven't worked a Friday afternoon since 1985 :) Take your time and I'll check in later for more on case. BTW how did you discover the masking portion of labwork? I would suppose if you specialize in implants that would be an off-shoot?

Michelle

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
case came into the lab, no one wanted it, i love challenges.;)
I work from home gotta fit it into taking care of my grand daughter.
Picture 082.jpg Picture 080.jpg Picture 081.jpg

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
case came into the lab, no one wanted it, i love challenges.;)
I work from home gotta fit it into taking care of my grand daughter.

You'll have your grandaughter running the place before you know it! :)
I remember when my son was about 2 years old and I was on an elevator with him and another guy (I was carrying a big stack of cases, it was snowing outside and I had to walk a half mile to get to car in the snow with all of that!) Anyway the man looked at me and said," it must be take your son to work day" (kind of sarcastically). I said, "everyday is take my son to work day!" I have a lot of respect for women who can fit all of this in!

Michelle

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
I posted all the pic's on a new thread in case presentations called 'what would you do for this patient'.

Blessed be to all.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
:focus:

Okay, here's my second attempt at wax colorization.

I switched to a smaller spoon and I let the bulk wax chill in water before starting the melt. Still using the same wax I have available, though I'd appreciate some input on whose waxes others are using...if it looks like I continue doing this. I'm thinking doing some colorized waxing on one side and none on the other as a tool to sell processed gingival toning. But I need to get the two (wax version and acrylic version) to match better.
I didn't melt deep enough for the red wax on this one and it pretty much got brushed out.

alh4.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_PzaaLoWI_AAAAAAAAVg4_SVXYNDcWueo_s400_P1010001_1.JPG

alh4.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_P0r7uT1I_AAAAAAAAVhA_k6kou9sv32o_s400_P1010002_2.JPG

alh6.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_P03O7enI_AAAAAAAAVhE_5dZ2X4Db3SU_s400_P1010004_1.JPG

Really need to work on my photography. It's almost looks like I have three different dentures. Same lighting just rotated the case. I think I may have selected auto-contrast on the first one before I uploaded it...can't remember.
alh4.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_PzaaLoWI_AAAAAAAAVg4_SVXYNDcWueo_s400_P1010001_1.JPG alh4.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_P0r7uT1I_AAAAAAAAVhA_k6kou9sv32o_s400_P1010002_2.JPG alh6.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_P03O7enI_AAAAAAAAVhE_5dZ2X4Db3SU_s400_P1010004_1.JPG

Last edited:
thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
Really, really nice work. love the festooning, nice and soft, it looks like mother nature did it herself!!! Just wish it was't stippled past the canines.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score

I switched to a smaller spoon and I let the bulk wax chill in water before starting the melt. Still using the same wax I have available, though I'd appreciate some input on whose waxes others are using...if it looks like I continue doing this. I'm thinking doing some colorized waxing on one side and none on the other as a tool to sell processed gingival toning. But I need to get the two (wax version and acrylic version) to match better.
I didn't melt deep enough for the red wax on this one and it pretty much got brushed out.

alh4.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_PzaaLoWI_AAAAAAAAVg4_SVXYNDcWueo_s400_P1010001_1.JPG

alh4.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_P0r7uT1I_AAAAAAAAVhA_k6kou9sv32o_s400_P1010002_2.JPG

alh6.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_P03O7enI_AAAAAAAAVhE_5dZ2X4Db3SU_s400_P1010004_1.JPG

Really need to work on my photography. It's almost looks like I have three different dentures. Same lighting just rotated the case. I think I may have selected auto-contrast on the first one befor I uploaded it...can't remember.

WOW old school.... is that shellac bp material I see? Well as far as the photos the last one really looks nice in that lighting. I think it's a big improvement over the first post "MBA". "Contours" look really nice, notice I didn't say festooning or else some people may get ancy....:D. The gingival area and papillae looks nice with no food traps. If I may... the occlusion looks off; I know you know and that might be the result of the opposing, but I felt compelled to say it popcorn as far as the colorization.. looks sweet. I don't have any issues with you using a mixture of wax to achieving the effects you desire,,,,great go for it. I've done that in the past and it's always great to experiment....If we always do the same thing every time then we always get what we always got. As far as the difference in the consistiencies, ie: softness, rigidity, carvability and dimensional stability , the last being a non issue as far as I see because the effect is mostly topical its just a veneer more or less. To adress the issue of dimensional stability I would say use cooler temperatures when waxing....more heat = more volume = greater shrinkage when completely cool. If the teeth is already set and chilled as per your technique then there is probably little to worry about if it's just color characterization and as long as you dont superheat things too close to the teeth. But you knew that......

PS: If the use of utility wax or boxing wax leads to a much too soft contistiency; you could probably add some red sticky wax and some ivory to improve the hardness without really changing the color.
alh4.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_PzaaLoWI_AAAAAAAAVg4_SVXYNDcWueo_s400_P1010001_1.JPG alh4.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_P0r7uT1I_AAAAAAAAVhA_k6kou9sv32o_s400_P1010002_2.JPG alh6.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TJ_P03O7enI_AAAAAAAAVhE_5dZ2X4Db3SU_s400_P1010004_1.JPG

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
WOW old school.... is that shellac bp material I see?

Vacuum formed material...bad eye. ;)

If I may... the occlusion looks off; I know you know and that might be the result of the opposing, but I felt compelled to say it popcorn

YOU MAY NOT! Hey! There's not a damn thing wrong with the occlusion! ...well, at least nothing worth spending the money just to get it right. Besides we can always redo the lower next year and fix everything!!! Yeah, that's the ticket. Good eye, there. :D Here's a shot of the lower.

alh5.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TKEVbx60z7I_AAAAAAAAVh0_Rc_l1Q9s__U_s400_P1010001_2.JPG

colorization.. looks sweet...[yadda, yadda...technical stuff edited...yadda, yadda]. But you knew that......

Why yes...yes, I did... But, of course, it never hurts to say it again. Between those who may not know (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and those who may need things phrased more succinctly for training purposes it never hurts to put it out there.

Thanks for the feedback.

popcorn
alh5.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_TKEVbx60z7I_AAAAAAAAVh0_Rc_l1Q9s__U_s400_P1010001_2.JPG

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Very funny....I'll stay away from my technical rants in the future (wink wink nudge nudge). You just make sure you set a good example next time so the yunguns can follow. Dont go overheating yer olde expired discolored wax thats so pale abd brittle yer have to add red boxing wax to regain color and elasticity, yet unbeknownst to you the disasterous effects that it has on the "properties" of the set-up wax and BP wax. You do use set up-wax and BP wax...right?....Well do ya? LOL. You keep this up I'll have to put you in a corner like Rob. Where the "H3LL" is Rob? Anyways you be nice and set a good example next time,,,,Big Brother is watching.......

PS: Nice Occlusion by the way,,,but you knew that.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I get all the wax I need off my birthday candles. Not only are there a lot of them but they are extra big so I can see them.

Rob is busy. The OB is heading up to Hydent's joint to wrap his walker around that whippersnapper's neck. Hmmm...I wonder if Rob knows you can't spell Rob without OB?

I use one wax: Memphis Dental Manufacturing Co. #2 Baseplate wax...though I think they should rename it SetUp or Universal wax or something. It's very durable. I have only had two cases that I can ever remember having suffered from our southern heat and I UPS about 75% of my cases. One the doc left in his trunk...for weekend safekeeping...nothing left but teeth and models and another that the office really, really secured the two wax ups together with multiple (and tight) rubber bands...should have taken a picture of that one.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Not judging here Tim just curious why you haven't morphed over to VLC basplate material? Its relatively cheap and fast to use and light years better than flimsy VAC U FORMED. I used to hate making those damn things and cringe every time I see your work. Not because I don't like the work but because of that damn material.

BTW I like you love to experiment, its fun to find new use for old products/waxes we have in the lab.

My latest experiment is to find a way to tint self cure resin to make it look like Diamond D chroma essence since for some reason they are not making this shade in self cure. Have not hit the nail on the head yet, its either too orange or too pink right now.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Not judging here Tim just curious why you haven't morphed over to VLC basplate material? Its relatively cheap and fast to use and light years better than flimsy VAC U FORMED. I used to hate making those damn things and cringe every time I see your work. Not because I don't like the work but because of that damn material.

You know what I hate...I hate judges! :mad:

...And VLC. But, I've never made my own. I've had to deal with others, so that may be part of it. I have one doc who insists on them and makes his own. He uses so much block out to protect his precious master model I hardly see the point. But the reason I hate them the most is I don't like the fine dust it kicks up when you grind on them. Yes, I have a suction unit. I hate the noise from it...it's a Vaniman so I don't actually hear the unit just the sucking sound two feet in front of me. As for the vacuum formed we use mostly .100 or occasionally .080. I over relieve the crest of the ridge and then cut it out to make a window to set the teeth. One thing I really hate is to see $100+ worth of teeth ground down to a nub because somebody didn't want to trim a baseplate that is eventually destined for a trash can.

My latest experiment is to find a way to tint self cure resin to make it look like Diamond D chroma essence since for some reason they are not making this shade in self cure. Have not hit the nail on the head yet, its either too orange or too pink right now.

Have you tried using a little of concentrated brown acrylic from Fricke's acrylic stain kit? We cut it with the orange to match some funky old denture relines where I'm afraid to even touch the teeth (rebase) and not sure if the patient would appreciate healthy pink gums.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Funny stories, I've seen my share of those.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Rob is busy. The OB is heading up to Hydent's joint to wrap his walker around that whippersnapper's neck. Hmmm...I wonder if Rob knows you can't spell Rob without OB?

You crack me up!!!:D

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
You know what I hate...I hate judges! :mad:

...And VLC. But, I've never made my own. I've had to deal with others, so that may be part of it. I have one doc who insists on them and makes his own. He uses so much block out to protect his precious master model I hardly see the point. But the reason I hate them the most is I don't like the fine dust it kicks up when you grind on them. Yes, I have a suction unit. I hate the noise from it...it's a Vaniman so I don't actually hear the unit just the sucking sound two feet in front of me. As for the vacuum formed we use mostly .100 or occasionally .080. I over relieve the crest of the ridge and then cut it out to make a window to set the teeth. One thing I really hate is to see $100+ worth of teeth ground down to a nub because somebody didn't want to trim a baseplate that is eventually destined for a trash can.

Have you tried using a little of concentrated brown acrylic from Fricke's acrylic stain kit? We cut it with the orange to match some funky old denture relines where I'm afraid to even touch the teeth (rebase) and not sure if the patient would appreciate healthy pink gums.

I know what you mean, guys that overblock out for fear of locking in the baseplate can lead to a nasty over contoured mess that leads to windows in the baseplate. It takes some practice but with the right blockout its easy to get a very fine fitting baseplate. Just start charging for stabilizing his crappy baseplates and he will cave.

As for the dust if you learn to thin out the baseplate before its cured there is little to no grinding on them.

I have a set of tints and some old coe pour acrylic in mehary shade mild/moderate and heavy viened that I have screened and mixed with LRP diamond D trying to get the right ratio. Its been fun but like I said I am not even in the ballpark of that very special shade. I have lots of tabs with ratios written on them for the dreaded nasty quick cure reline. Who needs colorfast acrylic when I can mix and match :)

Kreyer

Kreyer

Reaction score

Really need to work on my photography. It's almost looks like I have three different dentures. Same lighting just rotated the case. I think I may have selected auto-contrast on the first one before I uploaded it...can't remember.

Tim,

Very nice gingival wax up!!!
You are right I have been busy..

R....OB

Brian Hyde

Brian Hyde

Reaction score
First time attaching photos.. Bear with me.. wax up I did earlier today.. really white teeth!!
Dental pics.jpg