Wax Try-Ins

I

InfinityDentalLab

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been waxing up try-ins for our doctors and have gotten the complaint that the wax and/or teeth fall off or break apart when they try it in the patients mouth.
I have tried using just wax, and custom tray material with retention holes and wax on top of that.
Its happening for full acrylic partial wax ups, framework wax ups, and full acrylic denture wax ups.
Any advice on how to make the wax try-ins "stronger" so this does not happen?
I make sure to take them off the model before sending them out so they aren't breaking during that step either. I have even tried adding a little super glue to keep them together with no luck.
Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
This is a very common issue. Sometimes it's a result of being in the patient's mouth too long or the type of setup/baseplate wax; we usually like using an all season wax, what type of wax are you using?

I

InfinityDentalLab

Reaction score
This is a very common issue. Sometimes it's a result of being in the patient's mouth too long or the type of setup/baseplate wax; we usually like using an all season wax, what type of wax are you using?
We are currently using Kulzer Modern Materials. Specifically Modern Pink #3 wax!

Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
I use aesthetic med wax from candular, I order it from Edmonds Dental supply. I've had really good success with that

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been waxing up try-ins for our doctors and have gotten the complaint that the wax and/or teeth fall off or break apart when they try it in the patients mouth.
I have tried using just wax, and custom tray material with retention holes and wax on top of that.
Its happening for full acrylic partial wax ups, framework wax ups, and full acrylic denture wax ups.
Any advice on how to make the wax try-ins "stronger" so this does not happen?
I make sure to take them off the model before sending them out so they aren't breaking during that step either. I have even tried adding a little super glue to keep them together with no luck.
Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
This is normal and not at the same time. Normal because it is A WAX TRY IN and not because the first word the dentist or assistant needs to say before any thing is: GENTLY BITE DOWN this is wax and no longer than 2 minutes in the mouth atherwise it softenes and sh…t happens.

Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
This is normal and not at the same time. Normal because it is A WAX TRY IN and not because the first word the dentist or assistant needs to say before any thing is: GENTLY BITE DOWN this is wax and no longer than 2 minutes in the mouth atherwise it softenes and sh…t happens.
I disagree with that. 2 minutes in the mouth is not enough time to properly check function and aesthetics. You can look at it in 2 minutes no problem but it should be in the mouth for longer than 2 minutes I would say about 10 to 15 max but no less than five so whatever wax you use should be able to withstand that. Again I use candler and I have never had a consistent issue with that. One or two here or there but never much

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I disagree with that. 2 minutes in the mouth is not enough time to properly check function and aesthetics. You can look at it in 2 minutes no problem but it should be in the mouth for longer than 2 minutes I would say about 10 to 15 max but no less than five so whatever wax you use should be able to withstand that. Again I use candler and I have never had a consistent issue with that. One or two here or there but never much
You could remove it from the mouth and cool it in water it doesn't need to be a consecutive 10-15 min.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
You could remove it from the mouth and cool it in water it doesn't need to be a consecutive 10-15 min.
Plus the wax they're using is too soft.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
It's the wax that you're using. It's only meant for waxing, not for setting the teeth.
Use Modern Materials Shur-Wax X Hard for setting teeth and #3 for the remainder of the wax up.
This is spot on!!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We only try in free end partials and full dentures now.
Tooth borne partials with frames go straight to finish from the IOS scans.
Snoop Hip Hop GIF by T-Pain

Last edited:
D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
Anytime I’ve got a case with single anteriors I will send the case back with the partial in a small cotton lined box with a note ‘fragile, tooth in wax, be gentle.’

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
We only try in free end partials and full dentures now.
Tooth borne partials with frames go straight to finish from the IOS scans.
Snoop Hip Hop GIF by T-Pain
Your offices must be very proficient shade takers with non discerning patients

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
It's the wax that you're using. It's only meant for waxing, not for setting the teeth.
Use Modern Materials Shur-Wax X Hard for setting teeth and #3 for the remainder of the wax up.
I didn’t realize this was a universal truth. I actually prefer to use the softer wax to set teeth and harder wax to festoon.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Kulzer rep told me a good trick to know if your wax is strong enough for set ups. Take a sheet and slap it on the edge of your bench. If it cracks and breaks no good for set up. Didn’t believe it at first so tried it with the wax we were using and it it cracked. Tried Shur-Wax X Hard and not even a line on it. Haven’t looked back since.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
No matter what you do if the dentist is soaking your wax try in in hot water then having them bite down because verticle is off then they push the teeth back in place or make major adjustments. OR they let the pt take the wax try in home to see how they like it all bets are off :)

Top Bottom