VHF Touch Point Troubles

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I have a VHF from Jensen and I am consistently having trouble with divots being made on the plate. Thankfully this mill is a second/backup mill, but i still want it to be functioning better than it has been.
Sometimes it will mill 10 or so crowns, then make a huge divot, sometimes 20.
I have added the amplifier kit and still this does not help. My next step will be to change out the touch plate which is getting close to being flat.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have a VHF from Jensen and I am consistently having trouble with divots being made on the plate. Thankfully this mill is a second/backup mill, but i still want it to be functioning better than it has been.
Sometimes it will mill 10 or so crowns, then make a huge divot, sometimes 20.
I have added the amplifier kit and still this does not help. My next step will be to change out the touch plate which is getting close to being flat.
If the interior is not perfectly dry the touch point can get a thin covering of dust preventing electron flow since zirc is an insulator. Just a thought if that hadn't been checked.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
Do you mean clean when you said dry? I clean after each mill, even if it is a single unit. I also clean the chuck more often than anyone should.

A

adl

Reaction score
Did you let Jensen know? Repeatedly?

A

adl

Reaction score
I have several times. I just keep moving the tpuch point. I may have to send it in.
Just moving the touch point it’s not going to help you. There is a lot more to it. Ask for a loaner and see how the loaner works for you.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im not a service tech, but it sounds like you may need to replace the cable that connects to the spindle. 20180330_093631.jpg

A

adl

Reaction score
I’m sure someone from Jensen whose active on this forum can help . Please help before CreDes is loosing any more time.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Thank you!
Replacement may or may not be needed...I would certainly remove the machines cover and give a little push to the green connectors at the top of the panel. Your problem is continuity. Id also check the wire harness and how its zip tied on the lower right side. Mine was snugged down too securely, and when the mill was moving, a wire had too sharp a flex point and broke.
I hope Eliseo is helping you. Hes 'da man.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
They are saying rebuild the spindle. The Ohm reading is out the roof.
It is worth taking it apart and trying your suggestion. Thank you!

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
They are saying rebuild the spindle. The Ohm reading is out the roof.
It is worth taking it apart and trying your suggestion. Thank you!

one is i think its called PTC which is addicted to the spindle a kind of wire threw the spindle the other is the contact btw. plate and rotary they added some kind of screw rotation secure rings which claw in the surface to close contact and help against zirkon dust and third spindle cable

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Usually continues back to back punching of the plate is mainly a bad spindle. I would say Z axis cable but those rarely go out. Mainly spindle is the issue for repeated continues punching.

J

jdb-09

Reaction score
I had exact same situation. Tech support said he'd heard of some people who steamcleaned their burs between millings.I gave it a try and have not had an issue in over a year.Touchpoint has not had to be moved yet over that timeframe and the plate is still pristine at the current point.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I had exact same situation. Tech support said he'd heard of some people who steamcleaned their burs between millings.I gave it a try and have not had an issue in over a year.Touchpoint has not had to be moved yet over that timeframe and the plate is still pristine at the current point.

So you steam clean the top part of the bur?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
4 years. It has not had a ton of usage. For the last year it has been a backup.

=Never replace anything on it? Might be the brushes in the spindle landing in a low resistance spot. Only way to see is with a new spindle. Also remove the cover and blow off the board and components with clean air to get rid of the zr dust on there.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I had issue initially when new and we went round and round. I had a tech in and he grounded the A axis motor? What I mean is, with the cover off there is a little train car that travels on rails. When it touches off, the signal goes through the touchpoint to this car and since it has metal wheels with metal bearings it could be the hitch in the continuity. Once the Jensen tech install a ground between that rail car and the frame of milll issues went away. I have steamed my tools ever since then, i believe it extends there life. PM if u want to discuss, but if Jensen says spindle, they have seen more failures than I. My 2 Cents

A

adl

Reaction score
Since it hasn’t been used a whole lot, you might just have a bad unit.