VHF K5 vs. Roland 52D

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
VHF K5 vs. Roland 52D. Which would you choose out of these two mills, and why?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Usual questions- what are you milling?, what's your operational priority (i.e. economy, finish, flexibility in materials, revenue for your dollar, etc etc)? Any hard and fast restrictions or conditions, like a total budget, lab space limitations, whatever? Can you do your own maintenance/repair work such that you're not totally reliant on vendor support? What role is this mill going to play for your overall operation?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Versamill 305d

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
VHF K5 with the Programill CAM. I know that would probably mean a yearly maintenance plan with the fees. But it's easy to use, fast calculations compared to the Roland and Millbox? Air spindle compared to a electric spindle, if that makes a difference in longevity. No ionizer with the K5. I've had my Dry mill (VHF K5) for about 2 years, and not one breakdown. And the quick disc clamp is so nice, no screws.

I think there is another member here who isn't totally sold on theirs, maybe because of its lack of speed in milling Ivotion dentures?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I have two old VHF K4 (Jensen Preciso) with bajillions of crowns milled and no major problems.
I have a roland dwx 52d and bajillions of crowns and no problems and somehow the cheap milling burs/tools in it have done hundreds if not thousands of crowns with no fit problems or chipping...I don't understand how.

Fits are fabulous with both under 2x scope.

So I would recommend both from my experience. Does that help? 😂
As a 3 man lab using preshaded multi discs, I'd go with an auto disc changer.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
bajillions...lol :)

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Usual questions- what are you milling?, what's your operational priority (i.e. economy, finish, flexibility in materials, revenue for your dollar, etc etc)? Any hard and fast restrictions or conditions, like a total budget, lab space limitations, whatever? Can you do your own maintenance/repair work such that you're not totally reliant on vendor support? What role is this mill going to play for your overall operation?
We are milling zirconia, wax, and some PMMA. Currently we have a VHF K5, and we are happy with it. The reason for the question, is that we are looking to add another mill and wondering, should we go with another K5, or is a Roland 52D any better? We are concerned about accuracy, over fast milling times.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Roland is definitely not better than VHF. Roland is the last mill I would buy and I had 3.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
We are milling zirconia, wax, and some PMMA. Currently we have a VHF K5, and we are happy with it. The reason for the question, is that we are looking to add another mill and wondering, should we go with another K5, or is a Roland 52D any better? We are concerned about accuracy, over fast milling times.
If you have a VHF K5, why are you wondering about getting a Roland, what do you see that you like about them that the K5 isn't doing for you?
My K5 has been very accurate. If your Roland will come bundled with Millbox, this could be interesting reading.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
If you have a VHF K5, why are you wondering about getting a Roland, what do you see that you like about them that the K5 isn't doing for you?
My K5 has been very accurate. If your Roland will come bundled with Millbox, this could be interesting reading.

Millbox alone is worth 7k 4yrs ago and thats the basic one.

Top Bottom