Vac mix bowl build up

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I know it is sacrilege for some to put anything but stone and water in their mixing bowls. I was tired of seeing build up so I cleaned it painstakingly with wet dry sand paper, then coated the inside with boat wax. Buffed it off after it was dry. The bowl looks, and cleans fantastic now.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Why, or how did you come up with boat wax? I would've never thought of that one.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I inherited a lab and all their ancient sh*t it was an inheritance.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I know it is sacrilege for some to put anything but stone and water in their mixing bowls. I was tired of seeing build up so I cleaned it painstakingly with wet dry sand paper, then coated the inside with boat wax. Buffed it off after it was dry. The bowl looks, and cleans fantastic now.
After the boat wax wears off (hopefully not into your stone),use the CD/DVD scratch remover compound. Those discs are a poly-carbonate substrate just like the bowls, and that material will bond with it properly.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
After the boat wax wears off (hopefully not into your stone),use the CD/DVD scratch remover compound. Those discs are a poly-carbonate substrate just like the bowls, and that material will bond with it properly.
Thanks, didn't know they still sold cd scratch remover. Is it next to the vcr rewinder?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

That's what I was wondering, if boat wax was magic and wouldn't contaminate the stones or investments as it wears away.

edit: but I suppose you could run 2-3 die stones and just throw it out.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering, if boat wax was magic and won't contaminate the stones or investments as it wears away.
No not magic, it was an acceptable attrition into the stone for me. Tap water has crap in it too, the amount that I would lose, vs quantity of stone I do not believe is enough to hurt anything.
edit: Also I do not mix c+b investments.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Agree, it's probably so minimal as to not have to worry about after a couple of pour up runs. A great idea to spruce them up, along with JMNs follow up idea. :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks, didn't know they still sold cd scratch remover. Is it next to the vcr rewinder?
Check out a video game reseller if you can't find it at a normal store. They will know where you can get it since game collectors are a fussy bunch. (uhm, hi)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Check out a video game reseller if you can't find it at a normal store. They will know where you can get it since game collectors are a fussy bunch. (uhm, hi)

Oh, so you're one of them...are you selling it wholesale out of your car trunk? :D

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Oh, so you're one of them...are you selling it wholesale out of your car trunk? :D
Don't have much anymore, sold it to pay bills. My trunk is full of sailboat fuel at the moment. Best prices imaginable. Send you a 12x12x12 box of it for only $50.
High quality stuff! Not that overseas sailboat fuel!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Don't have much anymore, sold it to pay bills. My trunk is full of sailboat fuel at the moment.

Sailboat fuel and boat wax?

M

Mark Blyumin

Reaction score
My bowl is clean after 14 years. I clean well after each use.
I do not have full time employees and the one that is part time does the same. I put acrylic publishing sand with water and spin it to smooth the surface of the bowl I use for investment.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
My bowl is clean after 14 years. I clean well after each use.
I do not have full time employees and the one that is part time does the same. I put acrylic publishing sand with water and spin it to smooth the surface of the bowl I use for investment.

What is acrylic I assume polishing sand? Pumice, Flour of pumice?

I use statstone it sets in 5 minutes sometimes sooner as my tap water is sometimes warm, and I think it is on the hard side. Sometimes it starts to harden in the bowl and it gets into any wear mark.

Congratulations on your bowl.

M

Mark Blyumin

Reaction score
Yes it is pumice. I call it polishing sand. Ones every month.

M

Mark Blyumin

Reaction score
What is acrylic I assume polishing sand? Pumice, Flour of pumice?

I use statstone it sets in 5 minutes sometimes sooner as my tap water is sometimes warm, and I think it is on the hard side. Sometimes it starts to harden in the bowl and it gets into any wear mark.

Congratulations on your bowl.
Try to use distilled water and keep it in a refrigerator or a cooler. It should give you more time. Works for me.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Got any of that unleaded wind? or still using the old smog?
My sailboat fuel is very special, it has a few ppm of Titanium Dioxide. Helps keep your sail white and clean giving you a few more knots per cubic ft of fuel...

Top Bottom