Update: New Abutment Milling Processes Produces Excellent Results

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
We've been working on getting even better results from the already fantastic, finished abutments on the VersaMILL 5X.

Although not completely fine tuned, I had to share.

Check out the consistency of finish, sharp margin and ultra-fine surface finish of the transgingival region; truly amazing. I will be putting it on a surface roughness tester and expect some pretty impressive numbers.

Machine cycle time is about 28 minutes using (3) TiSn coated tools ($54 each),getting about 70 units on a set of tools. We expect to get that back to the 20 minute time target without sacrificing tool life or surface finish quality.

There are some very slight anomalies in some of the pic's due to our process in test machining but keep in mind these images were taken with a microscope at 150X magnification!

Take a look at the top photo below where you can really get a feel for the quality of our machine/process. Compare the abutment's milled finish on the left side of the image to the NT-Trading Ti blanks ($53 each) turned surface finish on the right...Good stuff that is!

Video to follow...

Image9_zps0935f4e7.jpg

Image6_zpsd722f82d.jpg

Image1_zps025b7d80.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
pre-milled interface blanks again I am guessing?

Sorry, little cornfused because I have not had coffee yet this morn.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
'Mornin' ***, yes pre-milled as stated in the OP.
However, other than timing and tooling of course; relative to my main point of surface finish and feature definition (likely not clear),it really does not really matter (premill blank or "raw" blank).
Have another cup on me, and enjoy you day brother.;):)

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
We've been working on getting even better results from the already fantastic, finished abutments on the VersaMILL 5X.

Although not completely fine tuned, I had to share.

Check out the consistency of finish, sharp margin and ultra-fine surface finish of the transgingival region; truly amazing. I will be putting it on a surface roughness tester and expect some pretty impressive numbers.

Machine cycle time is about 28 minutes using (3) TiSn coated tools ($54 each),getting about 70 units on a set of tools. We expect to get that back to the 20 minute time target without sacrificing tool life or surface finish quality.

There are some very slight anomalies in some of the pic's due to our process in test machining but keep in mind these images were taken with a microscope at 150X magnification!

Take a look at the top photo below where you can really get a feel for the quality of our machine/process. Compare the abutment's milled finish on the left side of the image to the NT-Trading Ti blanks ($53 each) turned surface finish on the right...Good stuff that is!

Video to follow...

Image9_zps0935f4e7.jpg

Image6_zpsd722f82d.jpg

Image1_zps025b7d80.jpg

hallo brakys i had a coffee first pic milled complete, second the stump part after occlusal and third same with a preform ??? am i right some pictures from the interface would not be bad.God job welldone

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
hallo brakys i had a coffee first pic milled complete, second the stump part after occlusal and third same with a preform ??? am i right some pictures from the interface would not be bad.God job welldone

Here are some updated pic's. We are getting some very, very good results. Machining time is just a tick over 26 minutes right now. Pretty cool..at least I think so and our customers are thrilled.

All the images were taken immediately after they were completed on the Versamill 5x. We yanked them and put them under the microscope. The pic's were taken with two different microscopes under different lighting conditions. Hopefully I will have the surface roughness test done tomorrow.

Last edited:
cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
hallo brayks well-well-welldone is the direct interface only so smooth because of the data ( solid or off not triangulated) or although special strategie:):):)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No, he did not mill the actual interface.

We already say this 2x. ?? o_O

It is NT trading Pre-milled blank.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Brayks...what's your stepover for the top of the abutment? Just curious. .2 or .3?

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Kent, I seem to remember that we finally used .02mm and .05mm on the cut-off but I will verify and let you know.
Our templates also offer some choices over the finish on the whole distal body, past the radius-above the collar. For example:
To address any concerns about subsequent scans for restorations that could alter the fit of the restorations. We can limit the horizontal retention to an area closer to the occlusal surface, and/or make it an optional feature that would either create the retention, or mill it with the surface texture similar to the area under the margins (collars).
Best
Steve

Last edited:
brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
hallo brayks well-well-welldone is the direct interface only so smooth because of the data ( solid or off not triangulated) or although special strategie:):):)

Thanks Cadfan,
Did *** (in his own endearing way) answer your question :rolleyes:;):) ?

Actually the interface (fit, finish, accuracy etc.) poses no problems and is really not an issue for us anyway; its all very prismatic in nature and we, in our "traditional CAD/CAM/CNC business" have been doing simple features like that for years.

The bigger issue is as you might suspect is taking shall we say...."less than optimal" triangulated meshes and creating smooth, accurate tool path. In these cases individual CAM software algorithms in evaluating the mesh, tool path strategies (and relative reliability of them),cutting parameters (feed, speed, depth/width of cut, finish stock allowance, cutting tool geometry/coating, fixturing and machine dynamics all play integral roles.

In the software side in particular this is really where the Delcam products really shine. I have heard (here and other places) that the software is either too expensive or too hard to learn. This is an issue I really take exception to (for a later discussion). The above is a case that highlights what you get with DentMILL/PowerMILL: years of experience working with triangulated models (all triangulated models are not created equal - far from it!) A triangulated model developed for design purposes for the most part makes an absolutely terrible mesh for the purposes of producing smooth, accurate, error/gouge free toolpath. Delcam algorithms address this issue to create extremely good finishes from some pretty horrific STL files.

Relative to machining strategies, yet another Delcam strength. Remember PowerMILL has been around since 1993-ish and had its roots in DUCT which started in 1968 (we first started utilizing it in 1994 when we added Delcam to our CAM products portfolio that already included Mastercam) I put this software, (and indeed do it daily) up against any software any day, any time. These strategies and reliability are especially important (like really, really important) in custom abutment and dental bar work. At what price quality, right?

As far as machine dynamics and fixturing goes, well, coming from a machine tool background, I evaluated a whole lot of dental milling machines for my company to distribute and we market the VersaMILL for a reason. I'll just leave it at that.

Sorry for getting carried away...

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Doh! Guess I'm getting old... 0.1mm Kent

Haha. I was about to say...that's a heck of a lot bigger than .02 or .05!! Might wanna re-calibrate! o_O

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Brayks...I look forward to coming by your booth in Chicago as well. I'll be there for both lab days.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Great Kent. I look forward to meeting you. I'll save a t-shirt for you...

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Great Kent. I look forward to meeting you. I'll save a t-shirt for you...

Lol...better have "Big Boy" size, 4X for the extra room! Heck, it'll end up costing me money for that shirt special ordered! Southern Fed Country Boy! Haha

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
are you really that big?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
at chicago he will be the one yellin "HEY HEY HEEEY!

Top Bottom