To Cerec or Not to Cerec?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We've had plenty of time to get ready for the digital world.

Bentchase gets it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Preview

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
you done this with a doc yet bentchase?
what ios?

Bentchase

Bentchase

Reaction score
I,m just getting the ball rolling. I have spoke with a few of my docs and they LOVE the idea. Kind of like......Oh, that makes way more sense. I am searching what product to pitch. Kind of like searching for a scanner, mill, software....hair puller. I need to find out what works best and gives the docs the better OPTIONS as well. Finding one that isn't completely proprietary.
I'm leaning heavily toward 3m. I think that they have a great product and right around the 12K mark. Once I single a few out I'll put together a pitch.
Any leads would be helpful.
We, Techs, can make up a sales team that will have the Patterson team very worried. The doctors only have to understand that they have a second choice, its a no brainer.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Any more details on what your doc likes and doesn't like with his cerec?
The backdoor costs, and constant up grade fees. He said the initial purchase price($160,000.)was not as bad as the all of the associated costs, but they get to the point where they can't step away form it because they are locked in. It's like a bad cell phone plan, pay to get out, or suffer along woith what you have.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
I,m just getting the ball rolling. I have spoke with a few of my docs and they LOVE the idea. Kind of like......Oh, that makes way more sense. I am searching what product to pitch. Kind of like searching for a scanner, mill, software....hair puller. I need to find out what works best and gives the docs the better OPTIONS as well. Finding one that isn't completely proprietary.
I'm leaning heavily toward 3m. I think that they have a great product and right around the 12K mark. Once I single a few out I'll put together a pitch.
Any leads would be helpful.
We, Techs, can make up a sales team that will have the Patterson team very worried. The doctors only have to understand that they have a second choice, its a no brainer.

I agree! When I talk to docs that have Cerec on their mind, it's mainly because they are worried that patients won't think that their practice is up to date with the modern technology. They want it more for marketing tool to bring in more patients.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Bentchase makes a great point...the best defense is a better offense (just don't tell Peyton Manning that :p) I have a big lecture coming up, a hundred or so Docs and will be presenting a portion of the lecture on digital techniques and this is exactly what I'm planning on doing. Naturally, I have some homework to do, list all the systems, all the prices and add-on prices (i.e. print the model if need be). Lab techs have the upper hand here because we already have a relationship with Dentists, they use and trust us for material selection everyday. We should all be lecturing, whether it be one-on-one in our labs, study clubs, or in a big lecture arena and telling them the pro's of going digital with a dental lab (hopefully yours) and letting them be your partner moving forward into the digital age. That's one of my strategies, and so far, it's worked out really well in client retention and getting your docs not to piss away a 100K on something that is sub par to what we can do for them. Hope that helps.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How many of you are ready to place scanners in the dental offices?

Bentchase

Bentchase

Reaction score
I've heard of a lab buying and loaning offices scanners, closing them off to everyone but themselves..........

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
How many of you are ready to place scanners in the dental offices?

Don't worry Henry Schein will take care of that for you. The fliers should coming around in the mail soon.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Planscan, Trios, iTero - we do plenty already.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Meaning the big boys are all ready doing it.
I think if something is "given away " its not necessary used optimally, because it was "free". I have seen this first hand. If they buy it, different story, they want to "make" it pay
so will use it. Lets face it they shelled out the money.
I'm not supplying scanners.

On Cerec,
There are a couple of file conversion programs available for Cerec proprietary files so in theory anyone can accept a Cerec file.

http://www.sum3ddental.com/prodotti/Dental_Shaper/BRIEFLY/
http://www.datakit.com/en/cross_manager.php

This opens many possibilities... and "change" offers great opportunity. Dentistry is changing for everyone, not just labs.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I think if something is "given away " its not necessary used optimally, because it was "free". I have seen this first hand. If they buy it, different story, they want to "make" it pay
so will use it. Lets face it they shelled out the money.
I'm not supplying scanners.

On Cerec,
There are a couple of file conversion programs available for Cerec proprietary files so in theory anyone can accept a Cerec file.

http://www.sum3ddental.com/prodotti/Dental_Shaper/BRIEFLY/
http://www.datakit.com/en/cross_manager.php

This opens many possibilities... and "change" offers great opportunity. Dentistry is changing for everyone, not just labs.

so the datakit only does up to cerec 3.8. doesn't say how high software goes for cimsystem. any ideas?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
so the datakit only does up to cerec 3.8. doesn't say how high software goes for cimsystem. any ideas?

Yes I think everyone is after a converter for later Cerec. Sirona has one of course ...

Maybe someone will come up with it soon...

jthacke3

jthacke3

Reaction score
Our observation with Cerec is that docs often produce and deliver a product that they would never pay for from a lab. If you think you will compete by doing Cerec connect, you are mistaken. The vast majority of Cerec owners purchase the system to reduce or eliminate their lab bill--the sales people pencil it out for them when calculating ROI. Its ingrained in their culture. However frequently, dentists buy Cerec as a business decision to reduce their expenses but after a year or two, we've found the pendulum swings back our direction.If you primarily compete on price and you're losing customers to Cerec, you're in trouble. You have to provide value elsewhere and find a way to offer something that in-office systems can't give. Cerec represents commodity dentistry and you have to provide more than a commodity product to compete in the current market. CAD/CAM is the future or our industry--I would suggest a 3Shape scanner with a mill that suit your needs to mill zirconia, wax, or whatever. Whatever you buy, make sure you have a plan on how you're going use it and pay for it.

Good luck--we've all been there.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
forget cerec. most especially if it's to get work from cerec docs. why the hell would they send it to you, when they can mill it themselves? none of our docs sent any to us, not to mention, half the machines were just collecting dust.
and of course, as a system, it just plain sucks. and it's not like the value is any good either. it's massively overpriced, and the whole pricing scheme is a major rip off.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Time for me and my robot to take over!!

bwahaahahahah:android:

S

surferboy

Reaction score
Hi .. I am new in Cerec and cad/cam...I have been reading the comments for a while.
i intend to get a v3.8 red cam and just is this a right choice for a beginner? there are so many comments i am kind of confused. My intention is to scan and send to a milling facility at first.... By the way.. can anyone provide a sample v3.8 model scan? i can provide box.com account

thx

Top Bottom