Third-Party PM7 Tool Source?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Anybody know of a good source for third-party PM7 grinding tooling? We're buying direct from Ivoclar right now, and it's steep enough that it's hard to make much money if our tools aren't consistently making it to the end of their 10-hour lifespan and/or we're having much emax block breakage. Canadian seller would be nice, but we can order internationally if we're saving a meaningful amount per tool.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Anybody know of a good source for third-party PM7 grinding tooling? We're buying direct from Ivoclar right now, and it's steep enough that it's hard to make much money if our tools aren't consistently making it to the end of their 10-hour lifespan and/or we're having much emax block breakage. Canadian seller would be nice, but we can order internationally if we're saving a meaningful amount per tool.
sierra? nowak? toolmack? td?

there should be a ton of options

@rc75 Ron do you carry these? your tools always worked well

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am lucky to get 4 hours out of a grinding bur before my blocks start popping, Super annoying.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Sierra's a no, nowak's a no, toolmack only carries the wax/PMMA and zirconia end mills...

unless PM7 tooling is interchangeable with more commonly-available 6mm shank imes-icore tooling, that is. Both 6mm shank with a collar midway down, and it appears to be the same 10.5*6mm collar as well- I'm scaling pictures from their catalog to have a 6mm shank and measuring them visually with vector lines, so it's a little rough- but I'm not sure of tool lengths and if it's compatible with the PM7 magazine. if i can indeed use imesicore tooling it's significantly easier to source.
google is increasingly useless for finding useful information, so exceedmill is the only vendor that's coming up on the first couple search pages that actually has PM7 grinding tools by name. No idea if they're well-regarded or not, though.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
I am lucky to get 4 hours out of a grinding bur before my blocks start popping, Super annoying.
Good to know it isn't just us, it's depressing how often the smaller 1 +2 mm tools don't last until they hit their 10hr lifespan. Even if the tool doesn't break, they love to 'prematurely bald' and lose the abrasive off the tip after a few hours, so the whole tool becomes useless despite still having 95% of their abrasive, and we inevitably lose the part before we notice. Better setup techniques helped with tool longevity, but it's still horrifically expensive to be regularly replacing at $70 CAD a pop.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
When I worked with Cerec MCXL, then the burs lasted about 30-50 units. How many units can you get right now with the burs?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
In fairness I was doing very small things they were basically occlusal veneers. A super conservative prep, they should of been pressed. I do not have a press.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
maybe try Mark from Starcona
Only fluted endmills, nothing for grinding. I'm seeing a lot of that, selling everything except grinding tools- PM7s seem plenty popular but I didn't realize most people have to be milling PMMA/metal on them, given what vendors seem to stock.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Why a no for Sierra and Nowak?

T

TesterMonkey

Reaction score
Did anyone ever find a third party that works? The ones I've been getting lately have been breaking way too much.

Is it possible to get the mill burs sharpened?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Did anyone ever find a third party that works? The ones I've been getting lately have been breaking way too much.

Is it possible to get the mill burs sharpened?
Have you complained to Ivolcar?

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
In fairness I was doing very small things they were basically occlusal veneers. A super conservative prep, they should of been pressed. I do not have a press.
Our blocks used to break off too at times, but after i started to make the holding bar a litter wider and taller, all my emax milled out fine. make sure
your holding bar sizes are accommodating the size of your veneer/crown etc... also the positioning of where it attaches, might not be the burs after all !?!?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Our blocks used to break off too at times, but after i started to make the holding bar a litter wider and taller, all my emax milled out fine. make sure
your holding bar sizes are accommodating the size of your veneer/crown etc... also the positioning of where it attaches, might not be the burs after all !?!?
My holder/sprue was sometimes the entire wall of the largest part of the "crown" I've had a few updates so maybe it will mill better, I've got another biomimetic Dr starting soon, so we shall see,

T

TesterMonkey

Reaction score
yeah I complained same old "were working on it" but I dont think its going to change anything

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
I've been using the 6mm grinding tools from CeraDirect for our 5x500 versamills. Not sure if they carry stuff for the PM7, but I'm getting 25-50 hours on my burs now. Up from 2-4 hours with the tooling that came with the mills and from our reseller.
Our milling strategy also mills the cavity roughing before it roughts the occlusal side, so there is a huge chunk supporting the unit while cavity milling. Significantly reduced block breaks during milling.