Sum3D rendering issues

M

macminn

Reaction score
What would cause Sum3D to just skip a step when rendering a file? We typically mill full pucks, and we don't send the file to the machine (Roland). Just yesterday the external finishing step didn't render. If we didn't use the simulation, we wouldn't have known that and would have milled it.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmmm.

Hard to understand what you are saying.

What build date of SUM3d are you running?

Did the external finishing mill, or not? I don't understand?

Try again, use different words.

M

macminn

Reaction score
Sorry to confuse you. Not sure what build for sure, but says Rev.11 May 2012.

The external finishing milled. The internal was just rough. We ran the simulation and saw that, so we manually rendered it, and it milled fine. We've had this issue at times, that's the concerning part. Sum3D has completely skipped one of the milling steps. We don't send our files direct to the mill, we use the V-panel to send the files. That was what was recommended by a few people.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You are missing the Purple Raw Curve that is to be on the margin.

You can manually draw it, if the software has issues detecting it.

Are you sure you didn't import the tooth upside down?

This will be the result also.

Take screen shot of CAM file opened in SUM3d please. Show the Internal side...(Bottom of course)

Are you familar with the margin marking tool? Looks like a pencil drawing around the margin icon.

This HAS to be it. Not too many other things I can think of, unless you hit "esc" during calculations.

Scott

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Manually rendered? Do what?:confused:

The Internal Spiral Operation on a full disk's worth of teeth is a lot of info and needs good amount PC horsepower to calculate. Maybe you ran out of RAM or some other computer phenomon? Or when instructions got passed from one software to another, the loading buffer was too small for such a file? Kinda like sending too big a file to a paper printer. The 5hit just goes mental and won't process it. Hangs up on loading. (Sorry for such technical terms LOL)

I actually have that issue with One of my mills! It can't handle the file size of G-code. When the mill was made, no CAM made such large output I guess? It stops just before the Internal spiral, and we have to reset and clear the buffer and then load the remaining instructions to the mill.

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
How many unit were being milled? I had a corupt STL fil once and it missed the crown rough <dinco> step. It just blasted right thru the calculation, i mean like 1 second. It wouldn't even simulate that step. Possible bad STl file? Try re-scanning and milling again, that's what cured my issue.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I will be glad to throughly examine you stl files if you have any questions.

We have hard-core Industrial CAD to do this. Not Dental stuff.

Top Bottom