Slow cooker for a Hydrocolloid melting machine

N

NowayouT

Reaction score
I seen an ad on ebay where a NEMKO Hydrocollloid melting pot was up for bidding. I lost the bid, but it gave me the idea of using a slow cooker to melt hydrocolloid.

Anybiody have any thought on this? Would it stick to the side....

Also what are poeple view on using the microwave to melt it, if you do whats yout technique.

Thanks in advance

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I've used a microwave before. it works well, but i don't remember times/settings as this was a long time ago. I think if you research a little, some mfrs will recommend how to do it.
try this on for a start:

A comparison of three methods for preparing reversible hydrocolloid duplicating material
Purchase the full-text article

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Mark W. Wilhelm DDS, MSDa, Carl J. Andres DDS, MSDb, Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Prosthodontics, David T. Brown DDS, MSb, Associate Professor and Carlos A. Munoz DDS, MSDc, Corresponding Author Contact Information, Professor

aPrivate Practice, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

bDepartment of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Ind. USA

cDepartment of Restorative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, Calif. USA

Available online 4 March 2006.

This study compared the effects of repeated microwave oven and double-boiler liquefactions and prolonged autoduplicator storage on four physical properties of one reversible hydrocolloid duplicating material. No significant differences were observed between the linear dimensional change and detail reproduction of the three liquefaction techniques. Tear strength differences most clearly distinguished the techniques and effects of aging. Fifteen double-boiler remeltings produced tear strength values lower than those recorded for material stored in an autoduplicator for 2 weeks. Thirty microwave melting cycles still produced tear strength values equivalent to that of the autoduplicator material. After 30 melting cycles the compressive strengths of the microwave and double-boiler materials were inferior to that of the stored autoduplicator material.

Reprint requests to: Dr. Carlos A. Munoz Department of Restorative Dentistry School of Dentistry Loma Linda University Loma Linda, CA 92350
The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Volume 74, Issue 6, December 1995, Pages 557-562

P.S. I just downloaded the article and will send it to you via e-mail if you wish. it has time and wattage guidelines. Contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
We use a microwave, but only at power level 2 for 2 minutes. The microwaves vary so you'll have to mess around a bit. Low and slow! Good luck!

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
If your slow cooker can maintain a 134 degree environment then it will work as a holding tank. Then the only problem will be with dispensing.
Over the long haul it may be more trouble than it's worth. But that's a matter of perspective. I grew up in my dad's lab. He had a Nobilium 'holder'. On of my preteen duties was to chop up the old stuff, keep an eye on it as it 'cooked' over a Bunsen burner, stir it as it melted, and then pour it into the holding tank, which kept it a the proper temp. So when I set up my lab I 'had' to have a machine that cooks and holds. They make one that chops and cooks and holds...but I kind of like the chopping.

N

NowayouT

Reaction score
thank you for the replies and the insight, I appreciate it.

Borgeson

Borgeson

Reaction score
One more thought on the hydrocolloid dispenser issue, about 10 years ago and old boss of mine used one of those older coffee pots with the dispensing spount in front, this had a thermastat controlled heating knob on the front, and it worked perfectly. I have not been able to find one, I don't know if they make those pots anymore. I use the microwave method now.

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
a co. called Posca in Calif. use to make those coffie pot hydro machines. I could ck 'n see if they are still arround.

Borgeson

Borgeson

Reaction score
Hey Toothfarie, Thank you for the information, I will google them.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
My CMP unit started throwing the ground fault breaker in December so we resorted to microwaving as needed.

I must say the material seems to last a LOT longer this way. It's a bit annoying to not have it ready and on hand but my guys seem to have got the timing and all down to where the material is ready just as the model has finished soaking.

I'm in no hurry to replace or fix the CMP unit.

Top Bottom