Size & shape of monolithic zirconia posterior crown - is this how it should be?

N

NET

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone here have experience with Katana STML crowns?
Monolithic Zirconia crown (seen in right hand side of photo) was cemented onto left first maxillary molar with glass ionomer cement. Bite is ok, but occlusal surface is not as contoured/sharp as opposing natural molar, lingual surface is rounder & shorter, and crown looks overall wider compared to molar on opposite side.

Is this how it should be?

Photos are not ideal quality, but all I got at this point.
All opinions would be very much appreciated.
IMG_3518-001.JPG IMG_3565-001.JPG IMG_3448-001.JPG IMG_3420.JPG IMG_3410-001.JPG

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It's not so much the zirconia, Katana, but maybe just the wrong tooth library chosen? Or, it should have been sculpted, (added to, subtracted) to have made it with the sharper angles and contours you're looking for.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
just looks like poor design work is all.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I agree with Car54 and sidesh0wb0b, this is a poor design...probably due to the wrong tooth library or the person designing needs some much needed training.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Agree with all above.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
To be fair to the technician(s),we can't see the crown prep.
It could be of the " potato" variety. The margin opacity caught my eye.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Are you the dentist or technician?

Either way, at this point in the treatment, surely you should know what a crown should look like.

If you are the patient who had had this crown fitted then go back to your dentist and let them know that you are not happy. This is not a well designed crow.

N

NET

Reaction score
It's not so much the zirconia, Katana, but maybe just the wrong tooth library chosen? Or, it should have been sculpted, (added to, subtracted) to have made it with the sharper angles and contours you're looking for.
The crown was fabricated in a CAD-CAM machine, and had not been adjusted thereafter.
As it has been permanently cemented, would it be safe to adjust the crown in mouth or is that a bad idea?

G

GarryB

Reaction score
It would be easier to take it off and re-make it properly.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The crown was fabricated in a CAD-CAM machine, and had not been adjusted thereafter.
As it has been permanently cemented, would it be safe to adjust the crown in mouth or is that a bad idea?
It has to be removed to re contour .How ever removing will destroy the crown so you will need a new one.

Did you not see the crown during the try in stage? If not then you better call the office and have a talk with the dentist.
Do you know how much the lab bill was ? It looks like the $99 special. Ask the dr if the steamed rice was included.

N

NET

Reaction score
To be fair to the technician(s),we can't see the crown prep.
It could be of the " potato" variety. The margin opacity caught my eye.
The tooth had pretty minimal prep which was below the gum.
Are you referring to the opacity at the gum line?

G

GarryB

Reaction score
That can't possibly have run up a lab bill of $99 surely. Must have been less than 20.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We see this all the time on here. Pissed off patients with buyers remorse.
And to think we have industry leaders that view single crowns as " commodities" .

N

NET

Reaction score
It has to be removed to re contour .How ever removing will destroy the crown so you will need a new one.

Did you not see the crown during the try in stage? If not then you better call the office and have a talk with the dentist.
Do you know how much the lab bill was ? It looks like the $99 special. Ask the dr if the steamed rice was included.
I did see the crown, and I did mention to the dentist that it is not so indented and that it seemed wider but he claimed that the curves are like my original tooth and that the hollowness I'm feeling in the opposing natural molar is from wear.
He said the crown is alligned, and that I'm simply conscious of something new in my mouth.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
The problems with this crown have nothing to do with the material or the way it was fabricated(cad-cam, waxed, layered). It is just a poorly designed restoration as others have said.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The tooth had pretty minimal prep which was below the gum.
Are you referring to the opacity at the gum line?
Yes, it does not blend in at the gum. It needs to be warmer.

N

NET

Reaction score
It would be easier to take it off and re-make it properly.
Is that obsolutely the only way around this?
If it was cemented a week ago with glass ionomer cement (I think "Ketac" of ESPE, NO light curing) would it be extremely difficult to remove in one piece and would have to be cut in half?

Top Bottom