Sintron millable metal

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I just ran across this from Amann Girrbach. Does anybody know of any other manufacturers which might be offering a similar product launch. Is this stuff any good?

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
I'm also curious about this material and if its available in a 98mm puck

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
As far as I know it's proprietary to Amann...

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
As far as I know it's proprietary to Amann...

Damn, it looks promising if its any good to work with...hopefully they'd realize its potential sooner than later opening it up to other systems

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i tested it out, it's pretty cool. Only down side is the sintering requires argon. Very nice results, although not quite as cheap as our manual labor, but it does provide consistency.

There are a few other knockoffs, but i dont know if they are FDA approved materials.

either way, it's a great idea, and i believe they actually made a holder to be Roland compatible.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Sintron rules. I couldn't begin to tell you. The fits are unreal and it's crazy simple. Once you use it, casting Np seems like,..well,..retarded Stupid

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Sintron rules. I couldn't begin to tell you. The fits are unreal and it's crazy simple. Once you use it, casting Np seems like,..well,..retarded Stupid

So what is the CTE of this metal and are there any special processing procedures with regards to porcelain? Are any milling centers currently offering this?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
It is a great solution but the biggest problem is it requires you to invest in another sintering oven specific for this which isn't cheap. And it is only NP frames, I can mill a NP frame quicker and cheaper.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
For the money of the furnace you can upgrade a mill for hard stuff. Their are a few brands out same as zircon this week i got a flyer from i think it was themostar for small and large briges.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I just haven't had any fits of milled NP frames that I was happy with. The Ti frames seem to fit much better, but it isn't real user friendly with porcelain application. I would consider NP in certain situations if the fits improved. It would be great to see a comparison between the soft-sintered and the hard-milled.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I just haven't had any fits of milled NP frames that I was happy with. The Ti frames seem to fit much better, but it isn't real user friendly with porcelain application. I would consider NP in certain situations if the fits improved. It would be great to see a comparison between the soft-sintered and the hard-milled.

Shoot me a test file and I will mill one for you.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
It takes about 12 minutes on average to mill one unit of Sintron. The fits are consistently perfect. The CTE is the same as non-sintered. The cycle on the Argotherm takes 5 hrs total from start to cool down. You can fit 20 units in the pot for each cycle. We can fire at 8 am, 1pm, and 6pm (overnight) which equals 60 units possible per day with just one oven no problem. Material cost @ 5 bucks per unit.Tank of Argon is @ 35 bucks to fill and lasts us about a month Sintron is as soft as wax. CrCO is extremely hard but it is not a problem for a super robust industrial machine like a Haas or a Datron.
Trying to do solid block CrCO on a tabletop style mill is a no go .. they just won't take that kind of punishment for long. The only metal that these machine were meant to cut consistently are soft aluminum blanks used for making molds and small novelties like "tin soldiers" and stuff
It is true that he specialized oven is not cheap but if you're doing 10+ units of NP per day, the additional cost for the Argotherm will quickly return and then it's all taters and gravy baby

Here's my take;

If your broke keep waxing and casting in your garage
If you are low on dough, buy a scanner and farm it out bro
If you want to hate yourself, buy an inexpensive re-packaged jewelry mill
If you have some money buy a robust, versatile dental mill (see the Ceramill motion 2 if you need to know what one actually looks like)
If you have the big bucks and you actually NEED one of those big industrial type bad boys then go for it (eg. One piece Ti abuts and bars for labs)

Printing, for me anyway, is not helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, can you sinter ZR in that same oven, or is there potential for contamination etc.?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
It takes about 12 minutes on average to mill one unit of Sintron. The fits are consistently perfect. The CTE is the same as non-sintered. The cycle on the Argotherm takes 5 hrs total from start to cool down. You can fit 20 units in the pot for each cycle. We can fire at 8 am, 1pm, and 6pm (overnight) which equals 60 units possible per day with just one oven no problem. Material cost @ 5 bucks per unit.Tank of Argon is @ 35 bucks to fill and lasts us about a month Sintron is as soft as wax. CrCO is extremely hard but it is not a problem for a super robust industrial machine like a Haas or a Datron.
Trying to do solid block CrCO on a tabletop style mill is a no go .. they just won't take that kind of punishment for long. The only metal that these machine were meant to cut consistently are soft aluminum blanks used for making molds and small novelties like "tin soldiers" and stuff
It is true that he specialized oven is not cheap but if you're doing 10+ units of NP per day, the additional cost for the Argotherm will quickly return and then it's all taters and gravy baby

Here's my take;

If your broke keep waxing and casting in your garage
If you are low on dough, buy a scanner and farm it out bro
If you want to hate yourself, buy an inexpensive re-packaged jewelry mill
If you have some money buy a robust, versatile dental mill (see the Ceramill motion 2 if you need to know what one actually looks like)
If you have the big bucks and you actually NEED one of those big industrial type bad boys then go for it (eg. One piece Ti abuts and bars for labs)

Printing, for me anyway, is not helpful

you need to see the versamill. will do cocr. dont have to take out more than a car loan to get one either.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

Sooooo...do you sell this to other labs? What is the cost of a Sintron unit vs. a Milled CrCo unit?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I am milling metal every day , all day long . It can be done without having to sell your kidney . It is faster overall . 20 min average per unit . Sintron is fatser for sure but you have to run a 5 hours sintering cycle . Plus , you are limited to bridges up to 5 units . Doesn't make much sense IMO . Why not outsource to SLM machines , and have whatever you want in CoCr cheap ? My cost for milling CoCr is cheaper than waxing and casting .

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, can you sinter ZR in that same oven, or is there potential for contamination etc.?

The Argotherm is a highly specialized oven. Hmmmmm,..let's see now,...."Out of curiosity" would it be possible to sinter ZR in the same oven?

"Out of curiosity" I have always wanted to install wheels and an engine to my favorite recliner to see if it would be possible for me to drive to work in maximum comfort,..I think I could do it!!!...............the local police however strongly disagree,...

" Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" - Barretta

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
The problem with any sintered material is a mathematical one and I am told that the trouble starts whenever your design "makes the curve" as is the case with a full arch. Even though Zirconia is a material which contracts equally without regard to mass or position,..the materials we use (especially the new HT stuff) have lots of other stuff in it that will effectively "pump the pooch" when the arch is made. They "solved" this problem by adding a stabilizer bar which, if designed correctly, is supposed to complete the matrix and minimize the arch-math problem( can you say hidden stresses )
Sintron has the same math problem but is actually way more stable probably due to the fact that it is a far less rigid metal, We have actually done an 8 unit that had no rock to it at all but as for a full arch I have 2 magical words for you,...LASER WELDER

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Hmmm ,..the quote thingy isn't working ,...
Hey PDC,
Cost in dollars is very similar, the value is in the process itself,.. for us anyway. If we had a business model based on the lab to lab scheme it might make sense to offer it at @ $25/coping but we don't have any interest in pursuing it at this time anyway

Top Bottom