Should I become a dental hygienist

L

leahandtucker

Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering the following about dental hygeine as I am looking for all the details before I go to school to become one.
1. Pros and con's what do you like about your job/dislike
2. Salary for Canadian folks (starting range+ avreage after 5 years)
3.what's the difference of getting a diploma of dental hygiene and a degree+ do I need a degree to become a clinician
4. Is there enough time to run a small buissness at your house while still working this career
5. Do you think I would be a good candidate for this career below is description

I am very passionate about a very good and solid career choice. I am outgoing and love to work with people,definitely love health , anatomy and science dissecting things. I don't want to work weekends but I want to have a solid salary. I like to do different things everyday rather then the same thing over and over again. On the side I want to own a small horse business giving lessons to clients , and boarding horses. please give feedback would love to hear from fellow dental hygienists [emoji4] thanks for replying.

user name

user name

Reaction score
"I like to do different things everyday rather then the same thing over and over again."

You answered your own question.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife is a dental hygienist here in the states. She loves her career. The problem here in the states is most dental offices do not offer benefits like medical, and 401K's and vacation time unless you work at a corporation. It is hard on your neck, back and hands, if you want a long career in any medical field it is very important to take care of yourself physically. You sound like you want to do it so great! I am unsure of the wages in Canada. If you go to a hyg school make sure it is an ACCREDITED Dental hygiene program. I do not know Canadian requirements for licensing. You should call the licensing board and ask them specifics. Good Luck. There is a website http://www.andyfuturerdh.com/ that might help you.

L

leahandtucker

Reaction score
My wife is a dental hygienist here in the states. She loves her career. The problem here in the states is most dental offices do not offer benefits like medical, and 401K's and vacation time unless you work at a corporation. It is hard on your neck, back and hands, if you want a long career in any medical field it is very important to take care of yourself physically. You sound like you want to do it so great! I am unsure of the wages in Canada. If you go to a hyg school make sure it is an ACCREDITED Dental hygiene program. I do not know Canadian requirements for licensing. You should call the licensing board and ask them specifics. Good Luck. There is a website http://www.andyfuturerdh.com/ that might help you.
Thank you Travis for your reply, I know the program is accredited.thank you ☺

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

G

grantoz

Reaction score
you should do it .It is one of the easiest jobs in the world you have already been in training most of your life cleaning your own teeth.

please dont become one of those hygienists that think they are saving the world by cleaning teeth. Can you tell i have a deep respect for them .

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the praries hygiene courses are great, and a lot of dentists are starving for good competent help. theres a wealth of spots out here for someone who wants to buckle down and make a career.

starting salary after 5 years - out here that will depend on your level of commitment. the two-jobs thing might be very difficult to demand a good salary. and no weekends also puts a damper on that. a few clinics like to be 6 days a week open.

diploma vs degree - diploma is a set of courses to give you the technical aspects of the job. degree courses offer extra business related courses so that you have the foundations of opening your own clinic. that's not to say diploma people can't do that, but wherever youre taking the courses isnt going to assist you with knowledge of how to run a small business.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Pros: good wage (starting $45+/hr here in AB); one can afford flexible hours, can't imagine this task being automatized in the near future: hence job security

Cons: repetitive work, hard on your neck and back, growing workforce supply enventualy will drive wages down...

pdent

pdent

Reaction score
I run a dental office in South Florida, and the most difficult part has been getting a good Hygienist. I think it is the best job in dentistry because you can work full or part time, work in different offices, make good money, and take that skill with you anywhere.

S

SamanthaADS

Reaction score
Before I got into the lab, I was a hygienist. Still hold my license - because you never know. :) But no PLANS to practice hygiene again - I love the lab too much. Plus it's nice to be able to sit down chairside if I'm in an office and legally pick up an explorer or a probe to check a margin or recement a temp if I'm checking shade.

But I will offer this advice - dental hygiene schools are pumping out more and more graduates, so the competition is pretty intense in most areas of the country, and pay is not nearly as good as it used to be in general.
If you are thinking of going into hygiene, you'll have stiff competition for jobs out of school.

In my experience - if you want to be employed and appreciated (and compensated well),you have to be the kind of hygienist who understands the business of dentistry and realizes that you are a producer. The schools will have you believe that your job is to scale teeth and counsel patients on their nutrition and smoking cessation. In reality, your value to the practice lies not only in your periodontal therapy but also your ability to educate your patients about their restorative needs - and consequently feed the dentist's chair with work. That's what is going to make you marketable in hygiene.

Samantha

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
In my experience - if you want to be employed and appreciated (and compensated well),you have to be the kind of hygienist who understands the business of dentistry and realizes that you are a producer. The schools will have you believe that your job is to scale teeth and counsel patients on their nutrition and smoking cessation. In reality, your value to the practice lies not only in your periodontal therapy but also your ability to educate your patients about their restorative needs - and consequently feed the dentist's chair with work. That's what is going to make you marketable in hygiene
Well said.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
your ability to educate your patients about their restorative needs - and consequently feed the dentist's chair with work.
Samantha
Imo this is one of two reasons why dentists have hygiene in offices. To feed the dentist, and so he doesn't have to do hygiene. Also coming out of the lab recognizing what treatments are and what needs to be done I imagine would be of great benefit.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
In my experience - if you want to be employed and appreciated (and compensated well),you have to be the kind of hygienist who understands the business of dentistry and realizes that you are a producer. The schools will have you believe that your job is to scale teeth and counsel patients on their nutrition and smoking cessation. In reality, your value to the practice lies not only in your periodontal therapy but also your ability to educate your patients about their restorative needs - and consequently feed the dentist's chair with work. That's what is going to make you marketable in hygiene.
100% spot on!

Top Bottom