Share your designing computer specs (3Shape)

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Morning Y'all

My designing computer, that came as a package with the 3Shape scanner, is acting laggy and skippy, once you get to the designing step where cut-backs and connectors are added.

I have been in contact with the seller and we are trying to find out what may cause that. My assumption is that the computer doesn't have enough horse power under the hood, be it graphics card, processor and/or ram.

If I may, would you guys share your rig's set-up?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
Alienware Aurora, i7 7700K, GeForce GTX1070, 32Gb HyperX RAM, M.2 SSD 256Gb

This would be the current template for any new design computers we're bringing in.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Alienware Aurora, i7 7700K, GeForce GTX1070, 32Gb HyperX RAM, M.2 SSD 256Gb

This would be the current template for any new design computers we're bringing in.

Thank you, appreciate!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The rig that my D1000 came with, HP Z230 (except for the Passport back up drive)

specs.JPG

Also, just for general maintenance and maybe to help a bit, run a Disk Clean-up, delete temp files...Windows Search or Run %temp%. Maybe also a defrag.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
D1000 came with, HP Z230

Car, that is the setup I have. We have tried everything, including a day with a 3shape rep over the phone. I honestly think the computer is sub par to the needs of the software.

Thanks for the input!

M

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
alienware touchscreen i7 and a dell xps 8500 i5 w 24gb ram. the i7 laptop is noticeably faster, however the video is choppier, to me, than the PC

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Car, that is the setup I have. We have tried everything, including a day with a 3shape rep over the phone. I honestly think the computer is sub par to the needs of the software.

Thanks for the input!

M

From what others are posting, it may be something I should consider, too. I'm ok with the smaller cases, it's just with the larger multiple unit esp.
fcz cases, where it slows down.I also find that I definitely can't hit "apply to all" for occlusion, thickness contacts etc in Contacts and Smoothing as it give me a memory error on the bigger cases. I have to do each one at a time.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
From what others are posting, it may be something I should consider, too. I'm ok with the smaller cases, it's just with the larger multiple unit esp.
fcz cases, where it slows down.I also find that I definitely can't hit "apply to all" for occlusion, thickness contacts etc in Contacts and Smoothing as it give me a memory error on the bigger cases. I have to do each one at a time.

Well, there you have it. It seems I am not the only one. The response I got was along the lines of: We never have seen anything like that etc, etc...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Well, there you have it. It seems I am not the only one. The response I got was along the lines of: We never have seen anything like that etc, etc...
"We've never heard of ..." is the lab version of "I'm from the IRS and here to help"

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Yes, isn't that usually the way :rolleyes:

Ivoclar support was kind enongh to let me know some of the really slow loading when re-designing is
that 3Shape is loading all the clicking and ticking (add ons, smoothing, adjusting on my part) are all trying to be loaded again, that's it's just not pulling
up the totally completed design, but all that I did along the way. On some cases where on my part I did a lot of manipulating, I sometimes got an error, again on some of the larger cases I mill out of wax first to confirm things, then go back to make changes for the zirconia milling.
If I could get better at design, may help with some of the memory slow downs in design and re-design, maybe on a case or two?

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Thanks for the input!

M

Looking online, our HPs are easily up-gradable to 32GB max of ram. @Affinity and @kristian with the processors Contraluz
and I have, wouldn't a ram upgrade be good enough? At that point, does our 2GB of ram
on the graphics card matter, and not need an upgrade if we upgraded the MOBO ram?

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If you look at the windows experience rating of your PC, it rates the score according to the lowest subscore, so if you have a slower video card, it might not technically help having more ram. Or might help with some things.. I am by no means a computer nerd though so dont listen to me.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If you look at the windows experience rating of your PC, it rates the score according to the lowest subscore, so if you have a slower video card, it might not technically help having more ram. Or might help with some things.. I am by no means a computer nerd though so dont listen to me.

Thank for answering, Affinity :) I'm not sure how it works, if 3Shape get more of its graphics ram from the card,
or if the card makes up for any deficiency with the on-board ram and the on-board ram upgrade would be
good enough? For $275. I'm wondering if it would be worth a try?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
They discontinued the easy way to find the Windows Experience rating with Windows 8.1
It has to be run from command prompt or power shell. Power shell is much easier to
read and understand, like the one in Vista and 7. Unless you have a SSD drive or a 7200, 10,000rpm HD,
that was usually the lowest rating in the scores.

assement.JPG

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
Based on specs alone, it should be still running your cases ok. My oldest design station has roughly similar specs and it's not choking. I don't throw 12-unit cutback bridges and stuff like that on it though.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Based on specs alone, it should be still running your cases ok. My oldest design station has roughly similar specs and it's not choking. I don't throw 12-unit cutback bridges and stuff like that on it though.

Thank you, kristian :) So do you think doing to much design clicking and ticking on lager cases (in my case ~6unit fcz) can slow things down
with the wax knife tools, compared to using more of the transformation and morphing tools? The hesitations I get usually seem to be
when I'm using to many of the wax knife tools on a bigger case (and Apply to All),and maybe trying to go to fast? I may just need to be more aware
of when it's happening and what I'm doing at the time.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
What Ive found makes the most difference in speed 1. SSD hard drive is a must. 2. max out your RAM 3. Windows 64 bit

Car54, your specs are higher than my XPS, my rating is a 6.9 based on the graphics card. Everything else is at 7.3

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
What Ive found makes the most difference in speed 1. SSD hard drive is a must. 2. max out your RAM 3. Windows 64 bit

Car54, your specs are higher than my XPS, my rating is a 6.9 based on the graphics card. Everything else is at 7.3

Like and Informative. #1-3 makes sense, especially since Windows 64 bit can take advantage of more ram. Thanks, Affinity :)

Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
Still running an older 3770k processor, upgraded the graphics to 1050ti, and 32 gb ram, 850 pro ssd.
The processor sometimes runs at 100 percent but only on large cases, the graphics card doesnt really effect the speed of the
software, as its mostly cpu bound.
32 gb of memory especially if you are running model builder , its a hog, ssd a must, fast writes are your friend.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Thank y'all for your input! I am realizing the stock PC is inadequate, to say the least...

M