Separating medium

K

Kacey

Reaction score
Does anyone NOT use separating medium before pouring acrylic? If you don't, what do you do instead?

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
I have heard of people soaking the casts in water instead of separator, pretty much salt and peppering acrylic on a wet model. Im too scared to try it ;)

K

Kacey

Reaction score
thanks! I had run out of separator and tried liquid soap and then olive oil. Limited success. My separator arrived today and I'm VERY glad to see it! I wonder what it's made out of.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
When I started I packed some vulcanize cases with tinfoil. buffalo still sells tinfoil you kind of burnish it on the model, we used a nylon on a pencil eraser. It will look like a mirror model take all the time you want to, the tinfoil side will be smooth as glass. Most separators today are Alginate / agar Polysaccharide based. The DVA works a little differently I think it has inorganic silicon based polymers (stabilized polysiloxanes.).
I used to like the NOBIL SHIELD, & Fricke Vita-Sep but right now I have been using the DVA, The nobilium & Fricke are great materials. I in my area try to order these products in summer they do not tollerate freezing.

Last edited:
K

Kacey

Reaction score
While I was researching what I could use in place of separator I saw that tinfoil was sometimes used, but I didn't get it. It's so thick. Burnishing it makes more sense. Thanks for letting me know about separators being alginate based. That's interesting.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Order some tinfoil we are not talking about aluminnium foil you get at the grocery store, it's a little more like the stuff used by beauticians when striping hair.

K

Kacey

Reaction score
haha, oh, no wonder! I was picturing the kind from the grocery store. Ok, I'll try the correct kind. Thanks.